Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best boozer in Sussex!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Red Lion Turners Hill :thumbsup:

But if I had to plump for one, I'd go for the John Harvey in Lewes. Top quality beer, really friendly bar staff, terrific atmosphere - it's overtaken the Lewes Arms as my place to drink in Lewes.
... although, occasionally, I've known the Harveys in the JHT to be a little below par - which is odd.

I guess it hasn't travelled well.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Most of the best pubs are in pokey little places that are hard to find on a map.

The Coach and Horses in Danehill springs to mind, trying to remember the names of a couple of others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... although, occasionally, I've known the Harveys in the JHT to be a little below par - which is odd.

I guess it hasn't travelled well.

You live a lot closer than I do, so I'm sure you're there more often than I am. But it's not been sub-standard on any of the occasions that I've been there, it's always been top quality.

Makes me thirsty just thinking about it...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Another shout for the Stand Up Inn in Lindfield. To be fair, it wins around this area at a canter as the choice of pubs around Haywards Heath is truly shocking. In HH there is The Burrell, The Heath or The Star (okay but not much character for somewhere so grubby!). Lindfield has The Red Lion (Dread Lion), The Bent Arms (no one there past lunchtime), The White Horse and The Witch (okay but more of a restaurant now). So, even if the Stand Up wasn't a magnificent boozer (which it is) it would still be the discerning drinker's pub of choice at a canter.

I agree with all of the above. HH and Lindfield are pretty much unburdened by decent drinking holes, with the Stand Up Inn the only notable exception. Is Gerry Ryan still running the Witch? Didn't it turn into more ofa restaurant because they were getting in so much trouble serving minors?!

My favourite pub in Brighton & Hove has to be the Robin Hood. I've been to a lot of decent country pubs, but none regularly enough to really comment...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree with all of the above. HH and Lindfield are pretty much unburdened by decent drinking holes, with the Stand Up Inn the only notable exception. Is Gerry Ryan still running the Witch? Didn't it turn into more ofa restaurant because they were getting in so much trouble serving minors?!

My favourite pub in Brighton & Hove has to be the Robin Hood. I've been to a lot of decent country pubs, but none regularly enough to really comment...
apparently gerry ryan has sold the witch to the people who also own orange square, he is now living in hove, a big house in holland rd so im told.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
It's a good few years since I've been to The Box.

Good pub, but not at the top of my list.

Given where you live I suppose its either the Ram at Firle or the Gardeners in Lewes, I guess?

I'd prefer the Gardeners to The Ram (although both good) but I have to put in a shout for the Cricketers at Berwick. I also really like the Swan in Lewes.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
apparently gerry ryan has sold the witch to the people who also own orange square, he is now living in hove, a big house in holland rd so im told.

Good knowledge! I had no idea & only live a stone's throw from Holland Road...

To me, the Broadway in HH & all it's shit bars full of twats (like Orange Square), just about sums up all that is bad about HH in general. :wrong:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good knowledge! I had no idea & only live a stone's throw from Holland Road...

To me, the Broadway in HH & all it's shit bars full of twats (like Orange Square), just about sums up all that is bad about HH in general. :wrong:
dont want to argue mate , but why are they 'shit bars , full of twats'?? , bit of an extreme generalisation to be honest .

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Depends on what you want. Any pub is only as good as the characters that use it. Thats why I used to LOVE the Park View because it had such terrific regulars and now its why I can't bear the joint because it doesnt and has turned into a North Brighton ponce hole.

I'd rather go to the Hollingbury...no real ale and full of alcoholics, but by God, theres never a dull moment.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Given where you live I suppose its either the Ram at Firle or the Gardeners in Lewes, I guess?

I'd prefer the Gardeners to The Ram (although both good) but I have to put in a shout for the Cricketers at Berwick. I also really like the Swan in Lewes.

The Cricketers is really nice, it's probably the best for food in Sussex

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Mine are
Cricketers at Berwick
Snowdrop at Lewes
Basketmakers, Great Eastern, Barley Mow - Brighton

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
dont want to argue mate , but why are they 'shit bars , full of twats'?? , bit of an extreme generalisation to be honest .

Just my opinion, based on bad experiences every time I've been there... Souless places full of coked up, pretentious knobends IMO. Most of the girls are orange from sun beds or fake tan and look like low-rent football WAGs. The reason for me spending time there that my girlfriend at the time grew up there and we'd go back to see her old mates every now and then. Even she hated the atmosphere.

An extreme generalisation, yes, but standard fayre for NSC I'd say! I could say "I went there a good few times an took exception to one or two individuals there, but I'm sure it's all fine and dandy really", but that's never going to stir up debate! :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here