Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best boozer in Sussex!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;3307169 said:
Has he still got pickled eggs behind the bar? I must have had 10 of those in there once one boozy lunchtime :thumbsup:

But of course

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
If like me you enjoy pretentious and pompous then you cant go wrong in The Hove Place

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
All down to our personal opinion, innit. :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong I think the Dover Castle is a very nice little pub BUT you really are spoiled for choice in that part of town and I'd probably rate the Greys higher and the Constant Service round the corner isn't half bad either. Then there's the Pub With no Name at the top of Southover too and if you head up onto Queens Park Road I rather like the Walmer Castle as well.

No disrespect to your choice though. I've certainly spent more than enough time enjoying myself in the Dover Castle and could quite happily spend very many more hours in there without a care in the world

D

Deleted User X18H

Don't get me wrong I think the Dover Castle is a very nice little pub BUT you really are spoiled for choice in that part of town and I'd probably rate the Greys higher and the Constant Service round the corner isn't half bad either. Then there's the Pub With no Name at the top of Southover too and if you head up onto Queens Park Road I rather like the Walmer Castle as well.

No disrespect to your choice though. I've certainly spent more than enough time enjoying myself in the Dover Castle and could quite happily spend very many more hours in there without a care in the world

Do any of these do a midweek quiz?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Fair play to you Mr B. :wink:

Btw, had a top night on friday at the nicely-refurbished Walmer. Turned out it was some guy's 50th Birthaday Party, & they had The Long Tall Texans doin' a full set c/w interval! The place was rammed & a great time was had by all. Result! :clap2:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
The Five Bells, Smock Alley, West Chiltington.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uzae_SqbmDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uzae_SqbmDE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

:p Sorry Gully

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Do any of these do a midweek quiz?

I'm afraid I don't know. I don't live in the area anymore so don't frequent these fine establishments as much as I used to.

Might I recommend a leisurely pub crawl investigation to discover whether any of them do?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Fair play to you Mr B. :wink:

Btw, had a top night on friday at the nicely-refurbished Walmer. Turned out it was some guy's 50th Birthaday Party, & they had The Long Tall Texans doin' a full set c/w interval! The place was rammed & a great time was had by all. Result! :clap2:

Top stuff. I hadn't realised the Walmer had had a refurb though. What's it like now? I assume they still have the nice wooden floor and fishtanks in the back wall?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I've always like the Font too, in Brighton. I know it's not alot of peoples taste, but I think it's quite decent. Good for the football, cracking grub and it's a little bit hidden so not everyone can find it. Class.

If there is just one word that you CANNOT use to describe The Font then it would be 'class'.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Queens Head in Icklesham does a fanatastic Sunday roast out in the countryside. make a visit.

Brighton is awash with quality pubs, but current favorite is Great Eastern on Trafalgar St, top food, good beer and wide range of bourbons. has that quintessential Brighton feel, students, oldies, trendies, out of towners all rubbing shoulders - literally, only problem is its a small place.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Brighton is awash with quality pubs, but current favorite is Great Eastern on Trafalgar St, top food, good beer and wide range of bourbons. has that quintessential Brighton feel, students, oldies, trendies, out of towners all rubbing shoulders - literally, only problem is its a small place.

That's a very good shout, I'm a big fan of the Great Eastern. They can also lay claim to doing the best Bloody Mary I've ever had in a pub.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Top stuff. I hadn't realised the Walmer had had a refurb though. What's it like now? I assume they still have the nice wooden floor and fishtanks in the back wall?

It's nice & smart now (after it getting into a really shabby state over the last few years). I think they're gonna be carpeting the place soon - although the floors are as you remember at the mo, & the fishtanks are indeed still in the back wall c/w happy fish! They've started doing Thai food too, which is meant to be good (although I've yet to try any). It's still relatively quiet during the week, but trade's been picking up for them recently: thanks to the redecorating work being finished; food being offered; & both previous & new customers discovering it's back on the local map. They've also got a live music license & have bands on from time to time (& it's free!) Maybe give it a go next time you're up on 'Muesli Mountain' & see what you reckon? :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here