Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best boozer in Sussex!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I can't believe that the Black Rabbit in Arundel has not been mentioned.

Fantastic on a sunny day, or even nice in winter by the fire.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
dont want to argue mate , but why are they 'shit bars , full of twats'?? , bit of an extreme generalisation to be honest .

He probably means that they're full of voice brokers fella.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
still bitter about southend being the only place you can afford to live then?.................fella

Just tell me...do you use those bars by any small chance?...sounds like I was on the money.

Hows all them birds going? you internet football forum stud you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
ROSE AND CROWN WORTHING IN THE EARLY/MID 80'S.

Video duke boxes. Modern technology eh.

Those were the days.:cry:

Ah The Rose and Pose of the eighties. Fell across the DJ turntables after the Sheff Wed game in 83. China girl playing on the big video screen... great days in there.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Love the Wheatsheaf in Crowborough which is an oasis in an otherwise abysmal pub selection area.

The Red (?) Lion in Fletching could be fantastic if the landlord was not such a pompous rude ****.

Black Rabbit has gone downhill in my humble opinion - I tend to drink on Tarrant St when in Arundel these days.

the Crown in Groombridge is another wonderful pub / location which tragically is inhabited by berks in Hunter Wellies and chords.

Depends really on what you want from a particular pub visit......a real pub with great characters and top booze - or a beatiful building with great food.....hard to combine the two.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You are nowhere near as clever and interesting without your sailor boyfriend.

No customers again today?
you've never been clever and interesting !! no customers? as you have mentioned , i am a voice broker , V O I C E being the operative word, which means i can broke trades whilst still using a pc to post on here, its called multitasking, something you're probably not required to do in your mediocre, run of the mill job :lolol:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I seldom drink these days but when I did I could never pick a favourite. Several of the places I enjoyed have already been mentioned on here, but in no particular order here are some of my observations:

The Stanley, Portslade
The Buckingham, Shoreham
The Coach and Horses, Danehill
The Basketmakers
The Evening Star
The Cricketers (not at the cricket ground)
The Charles Napier, Southover street
The Queens what ever at Icklesham
The Ram, Firle
The Gardners, Lewes
The Alma, Uckfield (for the beer, no other reason and havent been for years)
The Lord Nelson (because it contains the taxman on saturdays)
The Stand Up, Lindfield
The Laughing Fish, Isfield

I personally am not a fan of The Wheatsheaf in Crowborough because I like to be served in turn and be able to get to the bar to get a drink.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
you've never been clever and interesting !! no customers? as you have mentioned , i am a voice broker , V O I C E being the operative word, which means i can broke trades whilst still using a pc to post on here, its called multitasking, something you're probably not required to do in your mediocre, run of the mill job :lolol:

For someone who is constantly banging on about the 'groovy gang' and 'right-on snobbery', you're profession snobbery is a tad hypocritical.

Just an observation.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
There are three pubs I'd hate to be without: The Napier, The Greys & The Dover Castle.

For as long as I've been aware of them The Greys and The Napier have always been (relatively) popular & stayed traditional - even though reworked in The Greys case - and kept the same sort of clientelle.
They remind me of The Nelson, Basketmakers, Battle of Trafalgar and The Eastern in that respect - proper boozers. The Dover is a relative newcomer in its present guise (was a right hole) but is a firm favourite.
The Constant (again a right hole in its day) had a new lease of life when Dom took it over and was my local for a while then went a bit weird but now back to being good.
Something horrid happened to the Walmer when two prats decided to kick out the football team and the quiz night and spoiled it so much that I haven't bothered with it until its recent overhaul, it's now back to being a nice proper pub just right for popping into after a walk in Queens Park.

The No Name was ok for a while but the decor makes me want to f*cking hibernate and at one time some of the staff were up their arses and never smiled, if they were serving I'd turn round and go elsewhere.

Having said that pubs often change when the guvnor changes so any of the above may go out of favour if the current landlords/barstaff leave.

Went to The Lion and Lobster recently and didn't realise how good the smoker's terrace was.
Seemed good in there but too claustophobic downstairs.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
For someone who is constantly banging on about the 'groovy gang' and 'right-on snobbery', you're profession snobbery is a tad hypocritical.

Just an observation.
i dont have profession snobbery, i treat everybody the same, but bevendean was the one who brought up my job if you check back through the thread, it rankles with him that he can only afford to live in southend, so he is always denigrating my job with snide comments, i think its because because someone he considers his intellectual and moral inferior, earns considerably more than him .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here