Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best BHAFC Goalkeeper

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
George Wood. Not sure but think he was with Palarse at the time. I was standing in the North when a bloke shouted "Oi George, I hear your missus is sleeping with Arfur". George looks round, gives the guy the skunk eye & the bloke shouts at him "yeah. Arfur Brighton". Funny as fcuk.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
John Keeley. 1st quality keeper I had seen at the Albion since I started watching. When he left us after 3 superb seasons his career seemed to spiral into nothing. Oldham paid £250k for him and he played about 3 games. After that he went around the lower leagues playing a few games here and there for different clubs. What a waste !!!

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Eric "Groucho" Steel remains the most memorable not only because he was a good goalie, but what clinches it for me was his character on the pitch and the rapport he had with the fans.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Graham Moseley in the 83 semi-final against Wednesday was majestic. He made an absolutely world class save from a close range header.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Cant spilt Keeley, Roberts or Beeney. All brilliant and all added to the teams they were part of.

Best keeper performance was Martin Hodge of either Hartlepool or Huddersfield at the time. We battered them as they had 10 men, he saved a pen and they scraped a draw.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I loved Brian Powney, but even I had to agree that that Freddie Goodwin and Brian Clough were right to replace him with Geoff Sidebottom and Peter Grummit respectively. I'd go for Peter Grummit as the best and Geoff Sidebottom in second place. However, as an ex-keeper myself the role of the keeper has changed since the days of Sidebottom and Grummit and I don't think either of them would look that good in todays football, similarly modern keepers tend to parry a lot of shots that the oldtimers would have caught or deflected around the post or over the bar. Goalkeepers today are far bigger, less agile and because the modern ball swerves more less likely to catch shots. I used to play without gloves unless the ball was very wet when I wore a pair of cotton string gloves and I always had a tweed peaked hat in the net in case the sun was in my eyes.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
It's an interesting question. I don't think we've ever had a REALLY outstanding keeper. Most clubs seem to have had at least one goalkeeping legend in their past who was undisputedly the business and played hundreds of games for them but we never have. Lots of goodish ones but none great.

Have you forgotten the one and only "Nicky Rust ?". Legend I tell you, absolute legend

Spacegull

Sehr Kosmiche.
Feb 22, 2009
High Weald
Keeley..... Absolutely brilliant..... I cried when he left and have despised agents since.

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
Eric Steele, and loved his groucho impersonation after he left the tunnel on way to north stand goal, fantastic memory.shame he,s at Man united now coaching, still a testament to his, class, ability, and profesionalism

D

Deleted User X18H

Keeley for me by a mile..............Tony Meola, LOL. I remember he played in the 3-3 draw at home to Wolves on the 1st day of the season (in 1990 I think) and in the 2nd game away at Watford he was playing for them!!! Bizarre.....

That I am pretty sure was 1-1

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
John Keeley. 1st quality keeper I had seen at the Albion since I started watching. When he left us after 3 superb seasons his career seemed to spiral into nothing. Oldham paid £250k for him and he played about 3 games. After that he went around the lower leagues playing a few games here and there for different clubs. What a waste !!!

I agree. Joe Royal signed him and said something about JK always being awesome when ever Oldham played us, which was regularly around that time. Unfortunately I think Jk was caught up in some sort of club scandal at Oldham and he may have been suspended. After that he never made it at Oldham and his career seemed to fizzle out - such a shame as he was sooo good and a really nice bloke too.
That said the best save I've seen from a BHA keeper was by The Former Dutch Marine in Golden Goal extra time against Wycombe in the JPT at Withdean. He made an awesome reaction save high to his right and from that the ball fell to us and we went down the other end and scored - game over. One of those magical minutes you get every so often (although Sanchez in his flasher's mac didn't think so). Anyone else remember this (the save and goal not the mac!!)?:eek::eek:

Last edited:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I cannot believe that people have mentioned the words Nicky Rust and Mark Ormerod in connection with the best Albion keepers. You must be crackers. I loved Grummitt as a kid, but reckon that Mr Keeley was the best, though Graham Moseley, Mark Beeney and Eric Steele come close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here