Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best BHAFC Goalkeeper

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All this way and I don't think anyone has mentioned the man that saved the Albion, Mark Beeney! Having said that, I think Keeley was the best I've seen and that started with Peter Grummitt, a man whose distribution on his best days was worse than Kuipers on his worst!!!

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If he had another 4 inches in height he would have been amazing!

Great shot stopper.

Plus not bad in midfield! - He played there for Southwick.

Which reminds me Geoff Sidebottom was a class act.

Brian Powney, a Seaford legend. Still takes a huge interest in local football.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Btw who has played the most games in goal for the Albion? Have you someone to parallel John Jackson at Palace for logevity between the sticks?

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Eric Steele for me, I do remember Grummit but Steele seemed to have it all. Maybe I was just young and impressionable but Grummit had seen better days and Steele came in and then went to Watford who themselves were on the up.

Keeley was outstanding in my opinion but the best performance by a Brighton keeper that I saw was Kuipers at Ipswich Saturday 27th November 2004. we lost 1 nil but it could have been 21 nil.

As for an opposition keepers performance, I really can’t remember one but I remember saying so many times, how did we not win that but you end up blaming the forwards when really it’s probably the keeper.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
all this way and i don't think anyone has mentioned the man that saved the albion, mark beeney! Having said that, i think keeley was the best i've seen and that started with peter grummitt, a man whose distribution on his best days was worse than kuipers on his worst!!!

you'll never beat the beeney!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Brian Powney with 386 appearances.

But probably nowhere near JJ i guess

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
From my time supporting the club (late 70's onwards) I'd find it hard to split Steele, Keeley and Beeney. As has been said, Corrigan was on the way down when he arrived. Moseley was treated appallingly by Mullery also I thought. As for an away keeper performance, time may have exaggerated things but I seem to recall us battering Arsenal 0-0 back in the old div 1 days (edit - though looking back it must have been in the League Cup.)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Brian Powney with 386 appearances.

But probably nowhere near JJ i guess

Gulp..Wiki says Jacko only managed 346 for Palace. I think Martyn must have got more..... no. He only had 272.

Brian Powney, legend then. Must have been super-fit.

But of course Alan Knight at Pompey wins hands-down for longevity.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My favourite was definitely Keeley, although Roberts was great too.

Best opposition performance was definetely Joe Lewis, at Posh this season. He was incredible.

Stattoseagull

Banned
Feb 25, 2007
Plumpton Green
Graham Moseley for me - Remember him coming into my office when he first came down when looking for a house. (Didn't sell him one in the end). He played at the highest level against some world class forwards at the time. Let's not forget the '83 cup run, I recall him making a couple of fantastic saves in the the Semi Final at Highbury. Best we forget the Wilkins goal in the final though! Mark Beeney was also class and I feel he was a keeper who could have gone on to much better things.

Grummitt. He made the second best save I have ever seen live or on TV, after Banks' against Pele.

Against Forest, if memory serves.

If you are talking about shot-stoppers as opposed to all round skills then Kuipers was as good as we have ever had. And he had an amazing ability to make world class saves at just the right time. A fantastic save is worth nothing in terms of points if we are winning 3 - 0 or losing 3 - 0; he seemed to make them when we were drawing or losing by the odd goal. He must have been worth 10 - 15 points in a season to us.

Mind you, he did drop a few goolies!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good enough to keep Ian Rush from scoring on that memorable Sunday afternoon in 1984. From memories of it though if Rush had been handed a banjo that afternoon and asked to whack the backside of a nearby cow he would have missed. Who else was playing up front for Liverpool that day?

Michael Robinson, being marked by Fozzie who was best man at his wedding. A classic Brian Moore-ism from the tv coverage.

PG

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
For me its John Keeley by a country mile.

I remember one particular performace against Oldham (I think) where he was absolutely immense. We was having a blinder and we were all singing 'you'll never beat John Keeley, you'll never beat John Keeley' and then out of the blue an unstoppable shot from 30 yards flew in. And it was unstoppable.

Keeley is the stand out keeper of my time watching Brighton.

I remember he lived just round the corner from my Auntie, as did a number of players at the time.

He was very funny bloke. He made more money from his taxi work than at Brighton and wanted to continue doing it part time when he joined! He also loved a beer and could be seen in the pub on the morning of games and after training etc. Played pool against him on a number of occasions.

Top bloke.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here