Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is what they have done to themselves now.......................every other club now knows they are prepared to spunk £25m on an unproven CB so the prices TO THEM have rocketed.................and they thought they'd out-manoeuvre Uncle Tony in the gambling stakes. Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking on their (now weakened) Championship squad upgrade plan :O:clap::rock::facepalm:

[tweet]1296730432915025920[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In the debate of managers, where does 'spying on opponent's training to know their tactics and plan and respond v recognising and responding to the tactics in the heat of the game' discussion fit in? Surely it's easier to counter opponents if you've cheated to spy on their training and take your time to plot a response than it is to read the game in front of you and respond accordingly immediately?

Fortunately I imagine that would require watching every day all day for Potter training sessions. He has more plans than you can shake a stick at :smile:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’ve been thinking about it and IF Leeds were to offer like 40m+ add ons, I might be tempted to sell. At the end of the day, Ben White is a totally unproven player, that’s the crux of it. Yes he has looked fantastic for Leeds in a possession dominant team (70% most weeks) but how will he cope in the prem where has to defend an awful lot more? Time will tell and whilst I don’t want us to sell, on the face of it for a player who has had one good season? Hmmmm

And yes I know, one good season for us and his value will sky rocket, it’s a gamble Tony will have to weigh up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve been thinking about it and IF Leeds were to offer like 40m+ add ons, I might be tempted to sell. At the end of the day, Ben White is a totally unproven player, that’s the crux of it. Yes he has looked fantastic for Leeds in a possession dominant team (70% most weeks) but how will he cope in the prem where has to defend an awful lot more? Time will tell and whilst I don’t want us to sell, on the face of it for a player who has had one good season? Hmmmm

And yes I know, one good season for us and his value will sky rocket, it’s a gamble Tony will have to weigh up.

Playing a blinder at the moment (as expected) - they've already wasted half the close season chasing him and not strengthened the squad at all, and they've showed their hand in terms of what they are prepared to spend..........all very naive. And hilarious.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Playing a blinder at the moment (as expected) - they've already wasted half the close season chasing him and not strengthened the squad at all, and they've showed their hand in terms of what they are prepared to spend..........all very naive. And hilarious.

its been pretty catastrophic so far. No Manager means players are reluctant to sign, no signings makes them equal/weaker than last years squad, showing your hand with failed bids.

As time passes Leeds will become more and more desperate while selling clubs will push up prices.

They have shown very little in terms of forward thinking. Promotion was sewn up early and weeks earlier they were in a solid position. What sort of planning was taking place say 2 months ago?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No of course not. One of my posts was we bought in Webster for £20m a month after White went on loan. I think pre-Potter the club was in a frame of mind where youngsters wouldn't get in the team unless proven out on loan. Potter has changed that as Alzate and Connolly show. All hindsight and opinion as I previously said, I'm no expert as previously said, and I'm not really criticising the club as previously said. We're highly rating Ben White, there are potentially top 6 clubs sniffing around, and yet you think under Potter he would have only made the bench all season? He isn't a 19 yr old youngster, he turns 23 in 2 months.

Do you seriously think that if White had stayed here as 3rd./4th./5th. choice CB, playing the odd cup match plus a few substitute appearances he would be attracting genuine bids over £20M now? Cloud cuckoo land if you do, I'm afraid.
The club have handled his progress brilliantly, and the way the academy and the loan management is now starting to bear fruit is really exciting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress of our loanees in the coming season too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
its been pretty catastrophic so far. No Manager means players are reluctant to sign, no signings makes them equal/weaker than last years squad, showing your hand with failed bids.

As time passes Leeds will become more and more desperate while selling clubs will push up prices.

They have shown very little in terms of forward thinking. Promotion was sewn up early and weeks earlier they were in a solid position. What sort of planning was taking place say 2 months ago?

Exactly........almost a parallel with their arrogant fans developing - seem to think they can swan in and immediately start mixing it with the big boys but they're being shown up to be very tactically naive. They are well on the road to getting completely found out - can see this ending with them spunking fortunes on punts from abroad (in desperation - Jim White will be outside Elland Road on deadline day:D) , Bielsa flouncing out because he 'doesn't get his targets, not supported by the board' etc etc

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is what they have done to themselves now.......................every other club now knows they are prepared to spunk £25m on an unproven CB so the prices TO THEM have rocketed.................and they thought they'd out-manoeuvre Uncle Tony in the gambling stakes. Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking on their (now weakened) Championship squad upgrade plan :O:clap::rock::facepalm:

Good point Leeds showed their hand 3 times. They've got a whiff of West Ham about their transfer dealings.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
‘But former Premier League striker Kevin Phillips believes White will force through a return to the Premier League new boys. I do actually think he’ll end up at Leeds," Phillips told Football Insider.

"I think nowadays the players have the power and I think he’ll push it because it seems that he wants to go there.

"He’s turned down, I gather, two or three contract offers from Brighton, so that suggests that he does want to go and move on.

"Having just spent a successful season at Leeds, he knows what a huge club they are.‘

That’s that then, cya Ben.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good point Leeds showed their hand 3 times. They've got a whiff of West Ham about their transfer dealings.

Quietly and without any fuss we bring in a Dutch international defender with heaps of Champions League experience for less than £1m.

Meanwhile, in Yorkshire, every piece of (failed) transfer business seems to be played out in public.

And they claim to be a big club we should watch and learn from...

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

#FreeRyanKent

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdhc9k07Ms

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I do find it amusing that little old Brighton are turning down offers of more money than Leeds got when they sold Rio Ferdinand to Manure for a player who has never kicked a ball in the top flight.

Below are the EPL and Tier 4 tables for the 2000-2001 season. We were on our way, but Leeds were positively Bunyanesque.

2000-1 PL table.PNG
fourth tier.PNG

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Quietly and without any fuss we bring in a Dutch international defender with heaps of Champions League experience for less than £1m.

Meanwhile, in Yorkshire, every piece of (failed) transfer business seems to be played out in public.

And they claim to be a big club we should watch and learn from...

Seems incredibly odd that you would bid under the valuation of the "selling" club for a player that is not openly for sale and then have that as public knowledge.
There is an old Football Manager trick where you do exactly that in order to unsettle the player, forcing the said player to eventually hand in a transfer request, pressing the selling club into a position where they have to sell.

That is however, a video game, not real life, and definitely not how things actually work. Mad strategy from the (disputed) Champions of Europe.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do you seriously think that if White had stayed here as 3rd./4th./5th. choice CB, playing the odd cup match plus a few substitute appearances he would be attracting genuine bids over £20M now? Cloud cuckoo land if you do, I'm afraid.
The club have handled his progress brilliantly, and the way the academy and the loan management is now starting to bear fruit is really exciting. I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress of our loanees in the coming season too.

If he is good as people are saying, and lets say we decided to stick with White and not buy Webster, White would have broken through and not been 3rd/4th/5th choice. If he's that good why do you assume that a manager that has tried and utilised every corner of his squad last season wouldn't have given White a real chance? Think I'm rating him more highly that you are if you think he'd have been that far back in the order.

I liked your post as the Academy is doing fantastic now. It wasn't 18 months ago they were facing a lot of criticism for not seemingly having first team ready players.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
A......... Sounds like he has rejected a couple of new contract offers from us, but that is up to him to get the best deal and why should he accept the first deal. But also, I am sure the club are happy for him to sit on his current contract which still has at least 2 years on it.

If it is true he has rejected new contract offers, who has made it public. The Albion hasn't.....so who has ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's clear that we want him in our squad next season, but at what point would you be content that the offer was too good for us to turn down? For example, I'm sure palace wanted to keep hold of Bissaka but the £45m they got for him seemed to placate them.

£40m/£45m/£50m....more?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's clear that we want him in our squad next season, but at what point would you be content that the offer was too good for us to turn down? For example, I'm sure palace wanted to keep hold of Bissaka but the £45m they got for him seemed to placate them.

£40m/£45m/£50m....more?

I genuinely don't think there is any price now that we'd accept from Leeds on principle, and it seems that the club are determined to keep him regardless. The crunch time will be next summer I reckon if he has a good season - it'll be a top 4-6 bid and we won't be able to stand in his way at that point. We don't want, or importantly need, to sell and can bide our time - and will.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I genuinely don't think there is any price now that we'd accept from Leeds on principle, and it seems that the club are determined to keep him regardless. The crunch time will be next summer I reckon if he has a good season - it'll be a top 4-6 bid and we won't be able to stand in his way at that point. We don't want, or importantly need, to sell and can bide our time - and will.

The valuation of BW may well be different depending on the buying club.

For example we may flatly refuse a bid of £35m from Leeds but accept a bid of £30m from Chelsea etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here