Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Soo. Here we are. The Tetley tea men are now getting knocked back by Rangers iand small clubs like Brighton.

The players they need to compete in the premier league are still very much absent with Mr. Ravioli and Marcelo “Step ladder peek a boo” Bielsa are seemingly unable to get their diaries aligned for the (much anticipated) contract renewal.

Still, it’s not like senhora Binoculars to strop off if he isn’t allowed, or able, to sign players...oh, hang on.

P.S. I don’t know if he HAS re-signed...can’t be arsed to look.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If he is good as people are saying, and lets say we decided to stick with White and not buy Webster, White would have broken through and not been 3rd/4th/5th choice. If he's that good why do you assume that a manager that has tried and utilised every corner of his squad last season wouldn't have given White a real chance? Think I'm rating him more highly that you are if you think he'd have been that far back in the order.

I liked your post as the Academy is doing fantastic now. It wasn't 18 months ago they were facing a lot of criticism for not seemingly having first team ready players.

The fact is though that we did sign Webster, and that's turned out very well (as has White's progress to a £20M++ player). 18 months ago the problem was not with the academy players, but having a manager who wouldn't use them!
Just let it go now, my friend. We've read and understood your particular point of view on this topic; it's just that no-one agrees with it!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The fact is though that we did sign Webster, and that's turned out very well (as has White's progress to a £20M++ player). 18 months ago the problem was not with the academy players, but having a manager who wouldn't use them!
Just let it go now, my friend. We've read and understood your particular point of view on this topic; it's just that no-one agrees with it!

True enough. :D

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
If it is true he has rejected new contract offers, who has made it public. The Albion hasn't.....so who has ?

Naylor has mentioned it, so has Phil Hay, both in The Athletic articles. I guess in the same way Brighton haven't said 'we have rejected a £25m offer from Leeds'. We are just saying he is not for sale.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We may but then Chelsea could loan him out to the champions of Europe anyway .

No they couldn't.

If Leeds were to offer something ridiculous, we should accept it. But they won't as they have a finite kitty and other holes to fill in their Championship level squad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No they couldn't.

If Leeds were to offer something ridiculous, we should accept it. But they won't as they have a finite kitty and other holes to fill in their Championship level squad.

I think that we should keep stringing them along and screw up their proposed transfer budget spend. BW money is a big part of it. Keep it going and they will need to do some panic buying at the 11th hour when they finally realise that “Ben White is not for sale” really does mean “Ben White is not for sale”

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It's clear that we want him in our squad next season, but at what point would you be content that the offer was too good for us to turn down? For example, I'm sure palace wanted to keep hold of Bissaka but the £45m they got for him seemed to placate them.

£40m/£45m/£50m....more?
Presumably to achieve TB's aim of being a consistently "Top 10" club he will need to have £50m+ individuals in our squad. I wonder if we have reached the point already where it would be a strange move for us to sell a very good player...?

I don't know enough about it. There are obviously one or two very high profile big money transfers between PL clubs each season but not many.

Is it more likely that we will now be able to keep any very good players we manage to recruit or develop? (Unless they are literally Liverpool/Man City good...)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Presumably to achieve TB's aim of being a consistently "Top 10" club he will need to have £50m+ individuals in our squad. I wonder if we have reached the point already where it would be a strange move for us to sell a very good player...?

I don't know enough about it. There are obviously one or two very high profile big money transfers between PL clubs each season but not many.

Is it more likely that we will now be able to keep any very good players we manage to recruit or develop? (Unless they are literally Liverpool/Man City good...)
That's what I want too, develop our own fantastic players.

I'm just interested in what sort of figure would be enough for us to think that we've actually got a good deal, there is a tipping point for every player.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ah, you've fallen for the media trap.

Sean Dyche, . . . ****ing shit, never wins anything.

Graham Potter, . . . ****ing shit, just survived relegation last year.

As you no doubt understand, success can be measured in many ways and there are different subplots to every story. I won't bore you with Bielsa but let's pick on Potter. If Brighton play better football under him, become an established member of the PL - without the worry of slipping into that bottom 3 - and become a more sustainable club, by trading players and bringing through your own youth . . . by your own definition, he has failed?

Pretty sure, Bloom would be delighted and most of your lot would as well . . . until greed kicks in of course and you take it for granted - see Watford, Bournemouth, Huddersfield - start to complain and demand higher expectations. Never pretty and you hanker for what you had.

Potter has had one season in the premier league, not once have we been in the bottom three. He has picked youth team players, to date we are an established premier league side. Under Bloom and Barber we are a well run club.

My comment was in 40 odd years in management, 6 trophies is not a lot to show for a man who Leeds fans place on the highest pedestal possible. You lot think he's the messiah, miracle worker who can make a league one player into a multi million pound player and is going to deliver you champions league football. With a CD like he has it a gamble.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

This. If we intend to progress up the PL table to the dizzie heights of the top ten we need to keep hold of our better players and not sell them (even to top 6 clubs) if we wish to emulate them.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Exactly........almost a parallel with their arrogant fans developing - seem to think they can swan in and immediately start mixing it with the big boys but they're being shown up to be very tactically naive. They are well on the road to getting completely found out - can see this ending with them spunking fortunes on punts from abroad (in desperation - Jim White will be outside Elland Road on deadline day:D) , Bielsa flouncing out because he 'doesn't get his targets, not supported by the board' etc etc

Not beyond the realms of possibility that Liverpool will hammer them and bielsa quits citing players recruited not good enough etc etc and their lower mid table championship squad being totally found out

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Naylor has mentioned it, so has Phil Hay, both in The Athletic articles. I guess in the same way Brighton haven't said 'we have rejected a £25m offer from Leeds'. We are just saying he is not for sale.

I think the point is, why would anyone at the Albion leak something like 'our player has now turned down 2 offers of a better contract with us' to anyone. It's not what we do. So who is leaking it to Naylor and Hay ? I might suggest the only other people genuinely ITK are Ben and his agent.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
That's what I want too, develop our own fantastic players.

I'm just interested in what sort of figure would be enough for us to think that we've actually got a good deal, there is a tipping point for every player.

We also shouldn’t forget that the window is open a few weeks after the season starts so if he plays well against Chelsea Newcastle and Man U who could say that one or all might make a huge bid for him

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I wouldn’t sing a new contract yet if I was White . If Chelsea or Liverpool come in for him then that move would be harder if he’s just singed a new contract

I’d wait till the end of the window , if one of the big boys haven’t come in for him then he can sing an improved deal .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I wouldn’t sing a new contract yet if I was White . If Chelsea or Liverpool come in for him then that move would be harder if he’s just singed a new contract

I’d wait till the end of the window , if one of the big boys haven’t come in for him then he can sing an improved deal .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure that signing a new contract would make much difference to his valuation give he still has three years left (2 plus a years option) on his current one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here