Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I know the above is tongue in cheek, but genuinely, where would Leeds find the money to get White?

They're obligated to buy Jean-Kevin Augustin for a reported £19 million and Illan Meslier despite Kiko Casilla being on a reported £32k a week and planning to stay for the length of his contract. They've just bought Helder Costa for £16m and they will surely look to get Jack Harrison on a permanent. That's £50m already spent on players for next season. Where are they going to find £30m for White?

harrison is signed for next year on loan with £8m buy clause, meslier is less than £5m buy.

augustin does not want to join leeds, leipzig cannot force him to sign a contract anywhere and leeds believe the fact the loan expired before promotion and neither leeds nor leipzig sought to extend past 30th june (augustin left leeds and returned home) legally lifts the obligation. i don't know how it will play out but if augustin says he isn't going what can leipzig do?

this a cracking thread, mind. on all sides, what a lot of blarney!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
harrison is signed for next year on loan with £8m buy clause, meslier is less than £5m buy.

augustin does not want to join leeds, leipzig cannot force him to sign a contract anywhere and leeds believe the fact the loan expired before promotion and neither leeds nor leipzig sought to extend past 30th june (augustin left leeds and returned home) legally lifts the obligation. i don't know how it will play out but if augustin says he isn't going what can leipzig do?

this a cracking thread, mind. on all sides, what a lot of blarney!

Complete lack of class by Leeds to try and get out of that contract on a technicality - ie that the season is finishing over 2 months later than expected - now that they realise that the player isn’t as good as they thought. Can you imagine the shit storm if Leeds had a similar option to buy Ben White on promotion that Brighton tried to get out of?

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Leeds Trash

Ironic considering one of Bielsa's first acts when taking over as manager was to make the players collect litter from the training ground to make them learn some humility.

[Tweet]1285168555839954944[/Tweet]

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The best player to judge Ben White's potential salary with is Adam Webster. We paid £22m for him and he gets £36k a week.

So if we estimate White's value is greater than £22m, then his agent can rightly demand a salary commensurate with our true valuation.

If we say he is worth £40m then we will need to negotiate a contract that reflects that.

His agent will get him a £45k a week deal with a £40m release clause built in.

We can then negotiate a sell on clause should we be forced to sell.

There's no point getting disappointed should this play out, this is exactly what Tony wants and will hopefully be the first of many such deals resulting from products of our academy.

Can we put in a clause that says "if you do shite in the Prem, we are allowed to drop your wages"

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Ironic considering one of Bielsa's first acts when taking over as manager was to make the players collect litter from the training ground to make them learn some humility.

[Tweet]1285168555839954944[/Tweet]

hope you'll also share the fans cleaning it up too. Two sides!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Complete lack of class by Leeds to try and get out of that contract on a technicality - ie that the season is finishing over 2 months later than expected - now that they realise that the player isn’t as good as they thought. Can you imagine the shit storm if Leeds had a similar option to buy Ben White on promotion that Brighton tried to get out of?

it isn't that he isn't as good aa we thought (though that is maybe a factor, dunno not seen enough of him to judge) it is the player who has realised he cannot train and maintain what bielsa needs/asks. Jean- kevin took umbridge at being weighed daily and so on. you can't force anyone to sign a contract if they don't want to

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This saga playing out in the media has made it very hard for the Albion to sell White to Leeds without it looking like they have meekly rolled over.

Which makes any sale less likely.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
how good is he? has anyone got a highlights video?

I don't really follow lower league football these days so not caught him live.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Bemused as to how there seems a lot of people on this thread who are very sure about the exact salaries of various individuals in our first team squad.

Rui Pinto

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
The more I think about the White situation, the more I’m starting to think that selling him for the right fee may be a shrewd move.

He is undoubtedly a very talented player and will have a good career. You don’t win rave reviews in a tough league like the Championship without having a lot of ability and the right mentality. So it’s not a reflection of him as a footballer.

However, firstly I think it’s possible that his reputation has been inflated by playing for the one club in that league the media is absolutely obsessed about and are desperate to hype up at every opportunity. Had White been playing for Brentford this year, would he have won the same acclaim?

Secondly, however good he’s been this year, there is no guarantee he’ll do it in the PL. It’s a big step up. I’m not saying he’ll struggle in the PL but it’s entirely possible he’ll just be average, in which case banking a big fee would be nice. I don’t know for sure, but it could be that this summer marks the peak of his reputation.

Thirdly, we are well covered in his position but could really use £30m to spend on a new winger or striker.

So for me, if we get a £30m offer I’d be tempted to say sell.

Absolutely, although I'm looking forward to seeing if we can make him work in the CDM role.

You make a good point re Brentford and the inflated press regarding Leeds.

Potter will be looking forward to working with him but if TB deems an offer adequate then we should cash in. Ben is still fairly slight for a CB and will certainly need time to adjust to find consistency at the higher level.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The more I think about the White situation, the more I’m starting to think that selling him for the right fee may be a shrewd move.

He is undoubtedly a very talented player and will have a good career. You don’t win rave reviews in a tough league like the Championship without having a lot of ability and the right mentality. So it’s not a reflection of him as a footballer.

However, firstly I think it’s possible that his reputation has been inflated by playing for the one club in that league the media is absolutely obsessed about and are desperate to hype up at every opportunity. Had White been playing for Brentford this year, would he have won the same acclaim?

Secondly, however good he’s been this year, there is no guarantee he’ll do it in the PL. It’s a big step up. I’m not saying he’ll struggle in the PL but it’s entirely possible he’ll just be average, in which case banking a big fee would be nice. I don’t know for sure, but it could be that this summer marks the peak of his reputation.

Thirdly, we are well covered in his position but could really use £30m to spend on a new winger or striker.

So for me, if we get a £30m offer I’d be tempted to say sell.

If it is to Leeds, I completely disagree as for me it would be stupid to provide direct rivals with one of our (potentially) best players; it would also be rewarding disgraceful behaviour....
If a similar offer was made by a top five club, then perhaps you have a point.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
However, firstly I think it’s possible that his reputation has been inflated by playing for the one club in that league the media is absolutely obsessed about...
Secondly, however good he’s been this year, there is no guarantee he’ll do it in the PL...

True, but if top six clubs are interested, as widely reported, he's clearly a bit special.

If he's playing for England in two or three years' time, £30m will look like a steal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it is to Leeds, I completely disagree as for me it would be stupid to provide direct rivals with one of our (potentially) best players; it would also be rewarding disgraceful behaviour....
If a similar offer was made by a top five club, then perhaps you have a point.

Yeah feck Leeds, let’s make it as hard as possible for them to get their way here. I have seen no quotes about how they are grateful to the Albion for loaning him to them, just a diatribe of entitled shit. It’s like we don’t even have a say.

With any luck a genuinely big team will enter the fray and we can then make a considered decision rather than being told (with no printed backup) that he doesn’t want to play for the Albion and that he will end up at Leeds.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He could potentially end up being a very good holding midfielder, that is something we do need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here