Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As White's loan finishes on Wednesday night, could he play for the Albion on Sunday? Could you imagine the LOLs?!

I think he'd need to have been named in the 25 man squad at the end of Jan transfer window.

When does pre-season training start? I assume that there's not going to be much of a break, if any, after Sunday. You can bet that the usual training session pics that the club release will feature White in full Amex branded training kit.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

The more I think about the White situation, the more I’m starting to think that selling him for the right fee may be a shrewd move.

He is undoubtedly a very talented player and will have a good career. You don’t win rave reviews in a tough league like the Championship without having a lot of ability and the right mentality. So it’s not a reflection of him as a footballer.

However, firstly I think it’s possible that his reputation has been inflated by playing for the one club in that league the media is absolutely obsessed about and are desperate to hype up at every opportunity. Had White been playing for Brentford this year, would he have won the same acclaim?

Secondly, however good he’s been this year, there is no guarantee he’ll do it in the PL. It’s a big step up. I’m not saying he’ll struggle in the PL but it’s entirely possible he’ll just be average, in which case banking a big fee would be nice. I don’t know for sure, but it could be that this summer marks the peak of his reputation.

Thirdly, we are well covered in his position but could really use £30m to spend on a new winger or striker.

So for me, if we get a £30m offer I’d be tempted to say sell.

There’s a few of you here with this viewpoint and I still don’t understand it.

A shrewd move? It’d be the opposite.

1) why do you think we need the money? Are we leaving the Premier League?

2) why accept £30m when his value could potentially double? (Given interest from so many clubs and even being hinted as a call up by Southgate)

3) why on EARTH would we want to strengthen a relegation rival?

4) what’s the point spending years developing your own talent but to sell before you even play them?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

2) why accept £30m when his value could potentially double? (Given interest from so many clubs and even being hinted as a call up by Southgate)

4) what’s the point spending years developing your own talent but to sell before you even play them?

Exactly he's had his gap year, now time to knuckle down and get serious for his employer

Crouch End Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
I’ve seen a lot of him this season (wife is Leeds) and he is class. Very assured on the ball, brings it out well, reads game superbly, very confident and assured and keeps it simple. Didn’t look as good in midfield other day. The bigger attraction for him as a player will be Bielsa not Leeds. Also at Leeds he’s assured a first team place - a lot more competition at Brighton plus Potter tinkering and loyalty to Webster.

In an early season interview he was very keen to point out he was a Brighton player and seemed amused by Leeds’ big club arrogance. Maybe he wants to come back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

I suppose it comes down to how the club sits financially and what is available in the transfer kitty in a post-covid world.

If we are short on £ currently and selling White means we can secure 2/3 signings in key positions that need improving it MIGHT be a decent strategy.

I’d rather we kept him, but only if it means we can still secure the CM, LB and striker we clearly need to step on

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’ve seen a lot of him this season (wife is Leeds) and he is class. Very assured on the ball, brings it out well, reads game superbly, very confident and assured and keeps it simple. Didn’t look as good in midfield other day. The bigger attraction for him as a player will be Bielsa not Leeds. Also at Leeds he’s assured a first team place - a lot more competition at Brighton plus Potter tinkering and loyalty to Webster.

In an early season interview he was very keen to point out he was a Brighton player and seemed amused by Leeds’ big club arrogance. Maybe he wants to come back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I and others have posted previously, there would have been a dialogue on a regular basis from our team of advisors ( liaison loan player coordinating officer :lol:) who would know exactly how to advise and to make sure there's no underhand tapping up going on. He like anyone who is in a team that achieved promotion is obviously caught up in the emotion currently. Come the cold light of day (after all it's bleak up north) he will be in no doubt what his club expectations are. It's not like he's returning to a club in decline or disarray, but one progressing year on year with a superb progression policy for young players.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I know its petty b*****ks and it has no bearing any eventual outcome because we are not at the stage where BW is choosing between Brighton or Leeds but these are the decisions put forward by some of the teenagers on twitter:

Bielsa or Potter?
Leeds or Brighton? (as a place to live)
Regular starter or bench warmer?
Ambition vs relegation battle

Nobody knows how well Bielsa will operate in the PL but we do know he is quick to bolt when he doesn't get his way.
I've lived in both cities and I much prefer Brighton
No guarantee on either of the last two points. He could become a regular and we are aiming for top 10 at a sensible rate.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sell one of the hottest properties in English football??? Tony Bloom is our chairman and a fan - and in it for the long game. An owner who has resisted numerous approaches for Brighton players. Next phase of the Potter/Ashworth project is about to start. Question again: Why will we sell Ben White to anyone, let alone Leeds?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know its petty b*****ks and it has no bearing any eventual outcome because we are not at the stage where BW is choosing between Brighton or Leeds but these are the decisions put forward by some of the teenagers on twitter:

Bielsa or Potter?
Leeds or Brighton? (as a place to live)
Regular starter or bench warmer?
Ambition vs relegation battle

Nobody knows how well Bielsa will operate in the PL but we do know he is quick to bolt when he doesn't get his way.
I've lived in both cities and I much prefer Brighton
No guarantee on either of the last two points. He could become a regular and we are aiming for top 10 at a sensible rate.

It's interesting that we are such a tinpot small shite nonentity of a club yet he would be regular starter for them and a bench warmer for us. Where are they in this level of shitness?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

..... and that last point could make team selection very interesting next season. If White isn't playing as regularly as he'd like, will he be looking at not signing a new contract and subsequently moving on.

Unless, of course, Dunk finally gets his big money move.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Leeds will struggle next season as will the other two teams who join them. Historical stats say as much. Add to that second season Sheff Utd and Burnley (no investment) we should be looking for 45 points minimum and a top 1/2 or thereabouts finish. As for Ben White, it's not his decision to join Dirty Leeds. He is ours simple as that and if he figures in GP's plans then fine, if not we will sell him but, I would hazard a guess, not to dirty Leeds.

TNBA

TTF

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's interesting that we are such a tinpot small shite nonentity of a club yet he would be regular starter for them and a bench warmer for us. Where are they in this level of shitness?

It's because we are clueless and can't spot talent. Obviously teams never loan players out with a view to their development. It is always because they don't rate them.

I used to dislike Leeds fans anyway but the behaviour of a lot of them on social media over lockdown and about White has been appalling.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sell one of the hottest properties in English football??? Tony Bloom is our chairman and a fan - and in it for the long game. An owner who has resisted numerous approaches for Brighton players. Next phase of the Potter/Ashworth project is about to start. Question again: Why will we sell Ben White to anyone, let alone Leeds?

Unfortunately he only has 2 years left on his contract, and once that gets down to a year you run the risk of his agent proposing he runs it down to nothing, and picking up a huge singing on fee with one of the top 6.

Look at Ryan Fraser and Bournemouth, that is what can happen.

Now is the time to renegotiate and tie him down to new 4 year contract. and if he doesn't want to? then we have to sell him now or risk getting cattle trucked by the big boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here