Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
£45k per week!!? What the hell are you smoking? He’s clearly a talent but surely he’s not getting almost £2.5 MILLION a year just yet?

He's currently on about 10k a week.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Looking at the salary figures for the squad that were released a few months ago, from memory £40k per week was the first team average now .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We ain't palace - the club is almost Communist in is pay structure.

If you're a first team regular you are on somewhere between £40k & £60k a week.

We don't have half the team earning £100,000 a week, being effectively subsidised by the other half earning 'only' £20k a week.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Looking at the salary figures for the squad that were released a few months ago, from memory £40k per week was the first team average now .

I assume you mean this list?

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/

I sure its a lot of guess work, they appear to be roughly right from what we've seen reported but I expect some are way off. I'm sure Glenn Murray is on a lot more than quoted on that site, Dale Stephens too and Lewis Dunk is probably our top earner.

The site has Yves Bissouma on £25k a week, he's roughly the same age as Ben White and hasn't been a regular starter until recently. That seems like a realistic figure for what we'd be looking to offer Ben, it's a 150% increase on his current reported wages of £10,000. Stick in a clauses that increase his wages as part of a new deal in a further years time if he's played enough games and he and his agent should be very happy.

Um, that is fairly standard actually.

We’re not at Withdean anymore, this is the Premier League.

£45k a week is towards the top end of our wage structure, we won't be offering a 22 year old with no premier league experience that just yet.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I assume you mean this list?

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/brighton-hove-albion/payroll/

I sure its a lot of guess work, they appear to be roughly right from what we've seen reported but I expect some are way off. I'm sure Glenn Murray is on a lot more than quoted on that site, Dale Stephens too and Lewis Dunk is probably our top earner.

The site has Yves Bissouma on £25k a week, he's roughly the same age as Ben White and hasn't been a regular starter until recently. That seems like a realistic figure for what we'd be looking to offer Ben, it's a 150% increase on his current reported wages of £10,000. Stick in a clauses that increase his wages as part of a new deal in a further years time if he's played enough games and he and his agent should be very happy.

£45k a week is towards the top end of our wage structure, we won't be offering a 22 year old with no premier league experience that just yet.

How much do you reckon Maupay and Webster are on?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
With only 2 years left on his contract, Brighton will want to get a new one sorted this summer, or January at the very latest. No way would we let him go into his last year and leave on a free. Would sell him this summer if that was to happen and he didn't sign a new one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

But I'd wager £45k that kind of wage will be factored in and triggered automatically through appearances.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
With only 2 years left on his contract, Brighton will want to get a new one sorted this summer, or January at the very latest. No way would we let him go into his last year and leave on a free. Would sell him this summer if that was to happen and he didn't sign a new one.
We'll give Potter and Bruno until January at least to immerse him the Albion first team culture and persuade him to sign a deal.

No rush to sell, and I'm pretty confident he'll sign a lucrative new deal and his agent will get a nice fee.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
How much do you reckon Maupay and Webster are on?

I'd imagine Webster to be on around £35k and Maupay maybe £40k (probably looking at a decent rise for next season too). Both joined us with more experience than Ben White currently has, Maupay was playing and scoring goals in the French top flight at 16, Webster is a few years older as well. Maupay will be paid more as he's a striker and they always get more. If White lives up to his promise then he'll be at the top end of our wage structure in a year or two without a doubt, it will be built into any new contract offer.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd imagine Webster to be on around £35k and Maupay maybe £40k (probably looking at a decent rise for next season too). Both joined us with more experience than Ben White currently has, Maupay was playing and scoring goals in the French top flight at 16, Webster is a few years older as well. Maupay will be paid more as he's a striker and they always get more.

Age doesn't really matter though. Maupay and Webster both cost about 20m, and based on the fact that we're likely to turn down offers of anything less than 30m for White, he's worth more than that. It's a valid argument that he (his agent) will probably use when negotiating this new contract.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The best player to judge Ben White's potential salary with is Adam Webster. We paid £22m for him and he gets £36k a week.

So if we estimate White's value is greater than £22m, then his agent can rightly demand a salary commensurate with our true valuation.

If we say he is worth £40m then we will need to negotiate a contract that reflects that.

His agent will get him a £45k a week deal with a £40m release clause built in.

We can then negotiate a sell on clause should we be forced to sell.

There's no point getting disappointed should this play out, this is exactly what Tony wants and will hopefully be the first of many such deals resulting from products of our academy.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The best player to judge Ben White's potential salary with is Adam Webster. We paid £22m for him and he gets £36k a week.

So if we estimate White's value is greater than £22m, then his agent can rightly demand a salary commensurate with our true valuation.

If we say he is worth £40m then we will need to negotiate a contract that reflects that.

His agent will get him a £45k a week deal with a £40m release clause built in.

We can then negotiate a sell on clause should we be forced to sell.

There's no point getting disappointed should this play out, this is exactly what Tony wants and will hopefully be the first of many such deals resulting from products of our accedmy.

This is more or less what I'm saying. His value to us is the highest transfer fee that we're offered that we turn down, and I'd be surprised if this is anything less than 25-30m.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
On a slightly different tack
I really think that Leeds United's attempt to secure White's services permanently has been a Case Study in how not to do it.

First we have the public adulation of the player (fair enough); then we have the media comments from former players about the absolute necessity to buy him regardless of cost; then an 'open' declaration that Bielsa is determined to do all he can to effect the signing, by which times the fans have been whisked up into a frenzy of presumption, entitlement and downright disrespect to the club that has final decision making powers on the matter.

By the time this has all come to a climax, it becomes impossible for them to acquire his services without the Albion fans feeling that gross bad behaviour has been rewarded. The worst imaginable practice in negotiation.

Whatever happened to the Hughton approach 'We'll have to see; ultimately he is their player and they can decide' ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really think that Leeds United's attempt to secure White's services permanently has been a Case Study in how not to do it.

First we have the public adulation of the player (fair enough); then we have the media comments from former players about the absolute necessity to buy him regardless of cost; then an 'open' declaration that Bielsa is determined to do all he can to effect the signing, by which times the fans have been whisked up into a frenzy of presumption, entitlement and downright disrespect to the club that has final decision making powers on the matter.

By the time this has all come to a climax, it becomes impossible for them to acquire his services without the Albion fans feeling that gross bad behaviour has been rewarded. The worst imaginable practice in negotiation.

Whatever happened to the Hughton approach 'We'll have to see; ultimately he is their player and they can decide' ?
...And also the Potter approach of "I don't talk about another team's players" when asked about Mooy before he signed on a full transfer, and also Dendoncker recently.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
...And also the Potter approach of "I don't talk about another team's players" when asked about Mooy before he signed on a full transfer, and also Dendoncker recently.

Yes, it's true.
I should certainly have included Potter's understated non-jingoistic approach. What a difference from the Media and charismatically-challenged loud minority at Leeds!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another factor may be when the transfer window closes. It is quite conceivable this will be after the start of the season and therefore quite possible that Ben White starting in our team just kills this all off once and for all. Once he realises he is a first team starter (and possibly sees Leeds lose their first few games) I can't see any further talk of moving to Leeds.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

....that's because we're not a MASSIVE club that DESERVES to be in the EPL and will be CHALLENGING for Europe next season...............:shrug::whistle::rolleyes:

Really looking forward to their relegation struggle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here