Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bbc 606 rumours

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
where then? if this left back turns out alright he won't cost anything probably. and then i'd say a striker is needed more than another winger or midfielder, especially if we could get a loan signing in (simpson?). surely if we strengthen the squad enough in "order for the championship the year after" it will definitely be strong enough to get promoted this year? then the squad will be playing well together and won't need major changes next summer and us having to hope they gel quick enough for us to have a chance of staying up

Isn't that the Leeds school of thought though, if we spend so much this year and BANK on being promoted then it'll all work out...... I think we all know where that got them.

We need a left back, an attacking midfielder and then a back up striker/goal keeper IMO.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If we pay that kind of money then he may not be a back up striker. He might replace Forster!

Anyway, you are quite right, this is a bit of an obsession on here!!

I dont think it would be fair on replacing our top goalscoring captain with a new striker to be honest, whilst Forster is getting on he is still quality.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Forster is a year older over the course of next season and will be very unlikely to be in the Falmer starting 11 in 2010.
Give the man his dues, people were saying when he signed "is he too old?" but he never looked like it last season. Not that Gillespie would be a bad signing, but his record is not THAT amazing, and Forster doesn't need replacing just yet.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Isn't that the Leeds school of thought though, if we spend so much this year and BANK on being promoted then it'll all work out...... I think we all know where that got them.

We need a left back, an attacking midfielder and then a back up striker/goal keeper IMO.

no, it's called having strength in depth. gillespie is only young, and forster is old, i'm sure they would both benefit from not being relied upon week in week out.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Give the man his dues, people were saying when he signed "is he too old?" but he never looked like it last season. Not that Gillespie would be a bad signing, but his record is not THAT amazing, and Forster doesn't need replacing just yet.

he did look VERY tired towards the end of the season. gillespie's scoring record is almost as good as forsters and he is only 23

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
so you think, if we get promoted, forster will be able to hack it next year in the championship? he seemed very tired towards the end of last season, and gatting does not seem ready for first team yet, and dixon does not seem all that great.
Windass

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Gillespie is an attacking midfielder anyway. He plays just off the strikers/striker.

Thanks algie. :thumbsup:

However, if he is a striker, how likely is it that we're actually trying to sign him? Who would he replace? I can't imagine we'd drop forster after scoring 19 goals last season, and it seems equally unlikely that we'd drop murray 6 months after shelling out 300grand for him(our biggest expenditure in over 20 years?). Or are we going to play with three up top?

How about the new idea of strength in depth?!

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
How about the new idea of strength in depth?!

I'm all for it. I'm just wondering how likely it is for us to spend 500grand to create it when there are still areas of the team that aren't complete yet. If we had a history of splashing the cash all over the shop then I wouldn't be batting an eyelid. However, in the twenty years I've been watching the albion the most I can remember us spending on a player(apart from Murray) is about 125000. I'm therefore struggling to get my head around the idea of us spending 500grand on squad strengthening.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm all for it. I'm just wondering how likely it is for us to spend 500grand to create it when there are still areas of the team that aren't complete yet. If we had a history of splashing the cash all over the shop then I wouldn't be batting an eyelid. However, in the twenty years I've been watching the albion the most I can remember us spending on a player(apart from Murray) is about 125000. I'm therefore struggling to get my head around the idea of us spending 500grand on squad strengthening.

Well I agree, but with Falmer, there may be a stalking dark horse with a bit of cash ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here