#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We already have a household name in the squad - Doug LOFT. :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Matt Richards is probably not on MA's radar , so dont expect him. Gillespie & Simpson would bring the crowds back. Maybe if there is a £400k donation from one of the board members this will be sufficient to get his signature and Simpson on a season loan will bring the newbies up to 6 which is what was considered the minimum for the team rebuilding.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Thanks algie. :thumbsup:

However, if he is a striker, how likely is it that we're actually trying to sign him? Who would he replace? I can't imagine we'd drop forster after scoring 19 goals last season, and it seems equally unlikely that we'd drop murray 6 months after shelling out 300grand for him(our biggest expenditure in over 20 years?). Or are we going to play with three up top?

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Thanks algie. :thumbsup:

However, if he is a striker, how likely is it that we're actually trying to sign him? Who would he replace? I can't imagine we'd drop forster after scoring 19 goals last season, and it seems equally unlikely that we'd drop murray 6 months after shelling out 300grand for him(our biggest expenditure in over 20 years?). Or are we going to play with three up top?

no. i didn't realise there was a problem with having three quality strikers, especially when one of them is very old

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
no. i didn't realise there was a problem with having three quality strikers, especially when one of them is very old

I think it would be a waste of £500k to sign him to be honest. We have two quality strikers and the money could be spent in better ways.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With attacking midfielders it could be 5 up front.
4-3-3 changing to 3-2-5 :lolol:

barney

Jul 31, 2006
I think it would be a waste of £500k to sign him to be honest. We have two quality strikers and the money could be spent in better ways.

so you think, if we get promoted, forster will be able to hack it next year in the championship? he seemed very tired towards the end of last season, and gatting does not seem ready for first team yet, and dixon does not seem all that great.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
so you think, if we get promoted, forster will be able to hack it next year in the championship? he seemed very tired towards the end of last season, and gatting does not seem ready for first team yet, and dixon does not seem all that great.

No, but being promoted is over a season away. I think strengthing now in order for the championship the year after is brave to say the least. We have Virgo as back-up striker now I think and thats enough for me. I would rather spend quite a serious amount of money in the places we are missing players instead of back-ups.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

No way!

Forster is a year older over the course of next season and will be very unlikely to be in the Falmer starting 11 in 2010.

No, money well spent if he can link up with Murray.

Mind you this is of course PURE speculation regarding Gillespie!!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No way!

Forster is a year older over the course of next season and will be very unlikely to be in the Falmer starting 11 in 2010.

No, money well spent if he can link up with Murray.

Mind you this is of course PURE speculation regarding Gillespie!!

Im still of the opinion that paying that amount of money for a BACK UP striker is ridiculous. Certainly one whos goal scoring record is worse than Murrays and has never played above league 1 level.

Gillespie seems to be an NSC obsession at the moment and I cant really see why.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Rubbish

If we go up we need players that can do it in the championship as well.Being a decent young player i think he could be the one who makes the step up better then Murray who lacks pace and Forster(Age)

barney

Jul 31, 2006
No, but being promoted is over a season away. I think strengthing now in order for the championship the year after is brave to say the least. We have Virgo as back-up striker now I think and thats enough for me. I would rather spend quite a serious amount of money in the places we are missing players instead of back-ups.

where then? if this left back turns out alright he won't cost anything probably. and then i'd say a striker is needed more than another winger or midfielder, especially if we could get a loan signing in (simpson?). surely if we strengthen the squad enough in "order for the championship the year after" it will definitely be strong enough to get promoted this year? then the squad will be playing well together and won't need major changes next summer and us having to hope they gel quick enough for us to have a chance of staying up

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Im still of the opinion that paying that amount of money for a BACK UP striker is ridiculous. Certainly one whos goal scoring record is worse than Murrays and has never played above league 1 level.

Gillespie seems to be an NSC obsession at the moment and I cant really see why.

If we pay that kind of money then he may not be a back up striker. He might replace Forster!

Anyway, you are quite right, this is a bit of an obsession on here!!

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
Gillespie would be an unbelievable signing. He has a very unorthodox dribbling style (reminds me of Torres in the way he can turn a defender effortlessly), has an amazing shot and is a great team player. He absolutely rinsed Tommy Elphick and Lynch/AEA in the times that I saw him play. He also scored against many of the top teams last season (forest etc.). I agree that NSC is obsessed with SG at the moment but think this is a well-founded obsession! Not sure I believe it that we are going to sign him though. As said above, would forster want to bench-warm. Gillespie could be played just behind the front two though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here