Votes: 63 33.9%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Brighton and Hove Albion Forever!

Votes: 31 16.7%

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Saying 'because they're English' doesn't count as Bevendean Hillbilly has duly quashed that argument.

I disagree. If you follow England abroad the fact that English clubs now dominate European football will make foreigners respect our game that little bit more.

There was a time when the German national team seemed invincible, and it's no coincidence that sides like Bayern Munich, Hamburg, Moenchengladbach and Dortmund were European powerhouses at that same time.

If England ARE to win anything it will not be because of a tight team spirit like Denmark or Greece had when they won the Euro Championships, it will be because the core of the squad are used to winning big European trophies, therefore it makes it MORE likely England will win if Messrs, Rooney, Carrick, Scholes and Ferdinand are beating the likes of Barcelona.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I disagree. If you follow England abroad the fact that English clubs now dominate European football will make foreigners respect our game that little bit more.

OK fair enough... But the fact that English clubs spend far more money than their Spanish and Italian counterparts, advertise their brand globally selling their product to 'fans', have little respect for foreign opposition (from a fans point of view) and the fact England as a nation still hasn't won a major cup competition since 1966 might limit that respect...

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Who are you people who would rather a Spanish team wins it than an English team (yes I know the players aren't English - but you know that's not the point).

Me. Man Utd do not represent England, they represent Man Utd. And I can't stand them. Come on Barcelona!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
All these people who want Man Utd to win simply because they are an "English" team, would you be supporting Crystal Palace if they were in this position?

I highly doubt it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
win win really. Same as last night , wanted CHelsea as English but when they loose easy to jump to the other side and revell in their defeat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think England will not have to wait much longer to win a major tournament because, sooner or later, our players will lose what "fear factor" they experienced when facing the likes of Portugal, France or Brazil because they play with/against those players week in week out in the Prem.

Cappello, unlike Sven, has realised that friendlies are important to England in as much as they can create momentum and a 'winning habit'.

Spain are a good example of what can happen when you arrive at a tournament on a long unbeaten run with players who have had success in European competition.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

There was a time when the German national team seemed invincible, and it's no coincidence that sides like Bayern Munich, Hamburg, Moenchengladbach and Dortmund were European powerhouses at that same time.

If England ARE to win anything it will not be because of a tight team spirit like Denmark or Greece had when they won the Euro Championships, it will be because the core of the squad are used to winning big European trophies, therefore it makes it MORE likely England will win if Messrs, Rooney, Carrick, Scholes and Ferdinand are beating the likes of Barcelona.

Germany qualified for Euro 2008. England didn't. Germany got to the semi-final of the world cup and 2006, England to the quarter-finals. In that time, clubs situated in England have tended to dominate the final stages of the Champions League while German clubs (i.e. mainly Bayern) have done very badly in it, when they've even qualified for it. I just don't see any great correllation between the two whatsoever myself tbh.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Germany qualified for Euro 2008. England didn't. Germany got to the semi-final of the world cup and 2006, England to the quarter-finals. In that time, clubs situated in England have tended to dominate the final stages of the Champions League while German clubs (i.e. mainly Bayern) have done very badly in it, when they've even qualified for it. I just don't see any great correllation between the two whatsoever myself tbh.

Good point. And let's not forget in the late '70s/early '80s English teams won the European Cup for how many seasons in a row? Yet this was when the England national team failed to qualify for the 1974 and '78 World Cups and had an ordinary World Cup in '82.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree. The West German football team had an air of superiority and invincibility built on winning WC 74 and the 3 European Cups in the 70s. They managed to couple club success with international success.

It's only in the last couple of years that you expect Man Utd to reach the Champions League Finals - before it was get to the last 8 and hope for the best. Similarly, this is the second year in a row we've had 3 semi-finalists.

Only in the last 2 years has the Premiership come to dominate and now practically all of the best players in the world either move, or consider moving, to a Premiership club.

I really think that the players believe they ARE the best and we've finally got a manager to suit. All of these factors are starting to coalesce in England's favour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good point. And let's not forget in the late '70s/early '80s English teams won the European Cup for how many seasons in a row? Yet this was when the England national team failed to qualify for the 1974 and '78 World Cups and had an ordinary World Cup in '82.
To be fair, there's nothing ordinary about qualifying from the group stages, scoring the fastest WC goal on record in beating the eventual semi finalists and remaining unbeaten throughout the tournament.

But yes, clearly club football success has no correlation on the national team's performance. At the end of the day, some of the players simply don't attach the same level of importance to the national team as they do to their club matches. On the national team scene, if you're only going to give a toss about playing well as a team when the big tournaments are upon us (as opposed to friendlies or qualifying) then don't be surprised when it all fucks up and you end up going home early. Again.

I'll probably end up half-supporting Man Utd. I like their football, and I'm sick of hearing about how jolly super the Barcelona forward line is. I think United will win by 2 or more, but I don't really care.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Mostly Liverpool - and they didn't have many England-qualified players.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So you'd support Palace if they were playing in the Champions League Final?
I really do not understand why you lot want the English teams to win.

Not even I would want Palace to win, but as said above, that's a totally different ball game to Man United. Why would you want a foreign team to win though? Do you have links to Barcelona?

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I want barca to win on pens and ronaldo, giggs, berbatov, vidic, evra, scholes and park all to pick up long term injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here