Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barack Obama - Now More Than Ever Is The Time To Change USA Gun Laws

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Guns kill people like spoons make people fat.

Gun grabbers wait for an emotional argument as without it they are busted. THE USA has lower rates of household burglary than the UK. THE changes could be mapped when the states brought in the C and C laws. The deterent effect is massive.

They do however have a MASSIVE gun related murder rate. On the whole i think it's best to have very strict gun laws but I still think the yanks would find a way to kill each other, they've done it since time immemorium.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Guns are inanimate objects. They are dispassionate. Projecting a moral quality onto an inanimate object is something children do, usually as a result of parental conditioning.

i'm slightly curious where or who you think is making this "moral" projection.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The problem is both, actually.

While mental illness plays a major part in this, that in no way absolves the part played by the gun.

Mental illness is prevalent here and elsewhere, but without the gun... you know the rest.

Absolutely this....

I thought about this case in the UK when I heard about what happened in the US.

BBC News - Casey Kearney

Both Hannah Bonser and Adam Lanza had mental illness problems, both were clearly unstable and looking to inflict pain (and death) on others for whatever reason.

One lived in a country where access to guns is easy the other didn't. I think that if Hannah Bonser could have easily got hold of a gun rather than a knife she could have done what Lanza did in her state of mind, possibly killing as many as Lanza.

I am glad that I live in a country where gun control is severely restricted.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Isn't the issue that (massive generalisation alert) a large proportion of these (particularly school) shooters tend to be young males, very quiet and very introverted? They don't interact with large numbers of people (a trait which is hardly restricted to those with mental issues) and it's therefore difficult to ascertain their state of mind and flag up concerns. Without some kind of compulsory screening, how do you diagnose these people?

Education from a young age about depression and other mental health related issues is vital, and access to helplines/centres. I'm not entirely sure how it is in the U.S., but there's an abundance of support in the UK

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
DingoDan, a conspiracy nutjob and a paranoid hater of the state arguing for wider gun ownership? And we are surprised when people go on a murder sprees?!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But the government is actually actively taking our freedoms and liberties away...can't you see?

Funnily enough, to a certain degree they are but not through any such Machivalian means, they just pass shitty legislation!

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
i'm slightly curious where or who you think is making this "moral" projection.

I've been wondering exactly this for a while. It's almost as if dingodan doesn't actually read/understand what people are saying, and so just pretends they're saying something else so that he/she can argue it. And I use the word argue in it's loosest possible sense...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've been wondering exactly this for a while. It's almost as if dingodan doesn't actually read/understand what people are saying, and so just pretends they're saying something else so that he/she can argue it. And I use the word argue in it's loosest possible sense...

Quite. No-one has actually stated they think guns are evil at all.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Pretty sure when the American constitution was written, they didnt envisage AK-47s, automatic rifles, and pistols
...to make that ammendment 'set in stone' is a bit ridiculous. I think the whole world recognises that there is a problem in the States regarding this sort of shit, but despite good intent...I would be very surprised if Obama got anywhere with it...but good luck to him same way...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Pretty sure when the American constitution was written, they didnt envisage AK-47s, automatic rifles, and pistols
...to make that ammendment 'set in stone' is a bit ridiculous. I think the whole world recognises that there is a problem in the States regarding this sort of shit, but despite good intent...I would be very surprised if Obama got anywhere with it...but good luck to him same way...

They didn't allow the universal right to bear arms either.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

It also permitted slave ownership before later being amended.

I await Dingodan's argument claiming slave ownership is dispassionate and only conditioning whilst children makes us believe it is a bad thing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"armed teachers"?

How about just letting law abiding citizens own and maintain a firearm, and if they happen to be a teacher or faculty member, do not forbid them from having it on school property.

We are not talking about militarizing maths class.

Wow.

So a teacher keeping a loaded Glock in their bottom draw in the classroom, in readiness for the next nut-job with an AK to come bursting in, is apparently "not militarizing maths class"....do you have any concept of how completely NUTS you sound ?

How about every school in the USA having a fully equipped arms cache next to the food hall or the gymnasium. All teachers and law abiding citzens can have access to it, so when the next oddball outcast goes disco mental, Mr Scrivens from Economics can tool up and rain down some righteous semi-automatic M16 action on his 'ass. YEEE-HAWW.

What could possibly go wrong eh ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about every school in the USA having a fully equipped arms cache next to the food hall or the gymnasium.

of course, and it should be extended to all public buildings, shops, cinemas, stadia etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here