Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banned for life.. (Update: post #428)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can so no reason why loud mouths have to shout abuse at the opposing footballers.
Because it's a football match not a Cliff Richard concert. If you don't like it, watch tennis instead.

A guy near me did the wanker sign to Bellamy and called him a Welsh C**t in front of my 5 & 8 year old, in the respect stand. I had a word and a steward had a word, don't know what was said by the steward. He did something similar twice more during the game, is this what we saying is OK? Just banter? We should be able to do this at OUR club, who's "us"? Problem is we've let society slip so far down the pan we don't know what is right and wrong now
Well I still know what's right and wrong even if you don't, so I'm afraid your pious hand-wringing is wasted on me. That said if you're talking about the Family Stand then fair enough, I've got no problem with that being deemed 'unacceptable' and the bloke ejected. We all knew that was a zero tolerance stand and fair play to you for speaking up.

But in the North Stand that sort of behaviour should be almost compulsory. Football's already too sanitised as it is.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Hmmmm ..... 4 minutes and then suddenly 6 minutes - you certainly don't help confirm your case is real !

it was 6 minutes.

typing like a madman here.

i aint gonna defend myself no more on this matter to be honest.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Actually, the possibility of the club being told to make an example of a few fans (ok, 49) is a reasonable one. (As in it's reasonably possible, not that is reasonable behaviour).

If people are looking to protest at the unfair treatment of fellow fans then fair play, it's a worthy cause as a lifetime ban just for this (if it is just for this) is crazy

If people are looking to protest because nothing is being done to stop the homophobic abuse coming our way, fair play.

If people are looking to protest just because they don't get to shout abuse at individual players on the pitch... meh, can't say I'll be joining you. I'm quite capable of having a bloody good Saturday afternoon by watching football and singing Albion songs, without having to abuse the opposition players. Having a top drawer atmosphere depends on the fans singing for 90 minutes, it doesn't depend on the fans shouting abuse. Maybe that's just me though.

Agreed but singing sheep shagger, or doing a wanker sign, is that now Illegal is it?

This needs to be black and White so we all know where we stand.

Cardiff city get the whole stand banned for singing anti English songs?

Going by the letter Sid got, I don't want to go to a family friendly football match with a warm atmosphere. If I wanted that I'd go to watch the panto!

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Actually, the possibility of the club being told to make an example of a few fans (ok, 49) is a reasonable one. (As in it's reasonably possible, not that is reasonable behaviour).

If people are looking to protest at the unfair treatment of fellow fans then fair play, it's a worthy cause as a lifetime ban just for this (if it is just for this) is crazy talk.

If people are looking to protest because nothing is being done to stop the homophobic abuse coming our way, fair play.

If people are looking to protest just because they don't get to shout abuse at individual players on the pitch... meh, can't say I'll be joining you. I'm quite capable of having a bloody good Saturday afternoon by watching football and singing Albion songs, without having to abuse the opposition players. Having a top drawer atmosphere depends on the fans singing for 90 minutes, it doesn't depend on the fans shouting abuse. Maybe that's just me though.

Agree with this totaly. Been to matches where the bloke near me has spent half the match just screaming abuse, serious anger management problems. Can't possibly have been watching the game & can't see how he enjoyed it, thought he'd explode, literally.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Waste of time. There's absolutely no way ATC would answer anything to do with this.

Without mentioning any specifics, I don't see why Insider couldn't just say whether there is any truth that individuals are facing action over chanting against Liverpool. Surely if they are trying to make a point, they would want to publicise it ahead of 2 sold out home games coming up. Having said that, I'm not going to bother asking!

As everyone else has said, if there is nothing else to this, then it's ridiculous. And I'd love to know what convicting evidence they have on the individuals in question, as surely it is very easy to be in the midst of a chant, could see a letter coming to someone completely out of the blue.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because it's a football match not a Cliff Richard concert. If you don't like it, watch tennis instead.

Well I still know what's right and wrong even if you don't, so I'm afraid your pious hand-wringing is wasted on me. That said if you're talking about the Family Stand then fair enough, I've got no problem with that being deemed 'unacceptable' and the bloke ejected. We all knew that was a zero tolerance stand and fair play to you for speaking up.

But in the North Stand that sort of behaviour should be almost compulsory. Football's already too sanitised as it is.

Agree, but he did say it was in the 'respect' stand. So in that case it is very different.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Agree with this totaly. Been to matches where the bloke near me has spent half the match just screaming abuse, serious anger management problems. Can't possibly have been watching the game & can't see how he enjoyed it, thought he'd explode, literally.

I aint quite like that.

However Saturday afternoon is the day to get all the mundane weekday stuff out of your system.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Sorry, but you can't surely have the logic that if someone doesn't like the shouting of abuse at a player then he shouldn't come watch his local team?

And I don't even LIKE perseus (well, his posts anyway...)

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Blokes that do the wanker sign to the away support, especially middle aged blokes, are frankly an embarrassment. What's the point? You just look like a tit.
Oh I've been told now..... Maybe I'll just sit in silence with a cup of hot chocolate at the next match

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So spoke to the man himself

Once the police have finished there enquiries a FINAL decision will be made on the out come of those enquiries.

I told him 1000's were singing it.

He said the club have issued 49 letters so far.

They aint f***ing about with this.

Very abrupt, pretty rude, and its left me disillusioned by it all tbh.

I complained that the police left a message on my land line, he told me to take it up with them.

I have realised i have supported a **** of a club home and away for the last 20 years.

Absolute joke.

So you are saying that the final decision has not been made? That being the case, was it wise to come straight on to NSC and slag off the club?

I'm still in the fishing camp BTW. A good one, I give you that! :cheers:

(Not 100% sure though)

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's obviously because this has got some publicity to it. So the club, no doubt being leaned on by the FA, are seen to do something about it. I can't for the life of me believe that this will result in a life ban, more a 2 or 3 game ban at most.

Sense will prevail.

(That's if this isn't all bollocks!)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sorry, but you can't surely have the logic that if someone doesn't like the shouting of abuse at a player then he shouldn't come watch his local team?

Well you can, because clearly he isn't going to enjoy it very much, so maybe he should do something else which he would find more enjoyable.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Well you can, because clearly he isn't going to enjoy it very much, so maybe he should do something else which he would find more enjoyable.

No, all he said was he sees no reason why people HAVE to shout abuse which is a fair enough view. He didn't say he can't cope with it and it ruins it for him.

Someone who hates abusive language has just as much right to come and WATCH the football as much as someone who wants to be more vocal.

I would say MOST people prioritise the supporting of their local team over the 90 mins of shouting. yes it's all part of the package, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't go.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Where does it stop then? What about booing players? Is that 'abuse'? What if we draw Bristol Rovers in the cup and our old friend Scotty plays?!

I honestly don't know where it stops. Booing is obviously fine - it's verbal abuse to an individual that's another level. Exactly where the line is drawn between said abuse being "banter" or being too far is a big question. As I said in my post I don't at all support people being banned for it. I just disagree with any suggestion that atmosphere depends on it.

Agreed but singing sheep shagger, or doing a wanker sign, is that now Illegal is it?

Nope, of course it's not. Again, I don't support bans for that one word. But I don't enjoy abusing people at matches (I booed Murray, but didn't shout anything personal), and I don't enjoy being surrounded by people who do shout abuse... but that doesn't prevent me enjoying a good atmosphere with plenty of singing to support the Albion...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agree, but he did say it was in the 'respect' stand. So in that case it is very different.
Agreed. It was in the 'respect' stand so it was unacceptable and he had the balls to do something about it (rather than just moan on here). Don't have a problem with that. What I took issue with was his "what is acceptable and why has society gone down the pan?" speech, and my point is that what the bloke said WAS perfectly acceptable - but not in the family stand.

And I don't even LIKE perseus (well, his posts anyway...)
No I wasn't saying that. What I was saying is that shouting abuse is part and parcel of the tribal football experience, and if he doesn't understand that or if he wanted an environment where this didn't happen then he should watch tennis rather than trying to sanitise football.

EDIT: Actually the solution would be for Perseus to sit in the Respect stand, he wouldn't have to hear any bad language and the rest of us could get on with screaming abuse!

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Oh I've been told now..... Maybe I'll just sit in silence with a cup of hot chocolate at the next match

Hey if this is all true that could be a fantastic 'protest' for those who want too. The entire North Stand sat on it arse with blankets over its knees and Thermoses.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If the club want to set an acceptable behaviour standard then using the abuse of Bellamy as a sheep shagger sets the bar way too low.

If they want to use it as a tool to rid themselves of some perceived undesirables then it's pretty effective.

So far we've only heard from Sid and anecdotally about aquaintances of DR and Empire which leads me to suspect it might be the latter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So when Cardiff come to town, how many of us are going to risk receiving "the letter" by standing up and letting rip with the time-honoured

SHEEPshaggers, LA LA LA
SHEEPshaggers, LA LA LA

I guess we're alright as long as nobody complains, and the Daily Mail doesn't get hold of it. Anyone fires something of to the "Kick Racism Out of Football" though, and Hebbards wrath will be unleashed once again.

Great. Should make for a top atmos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here