Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands whose 1st album was brilliant.....who now are crap

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton

You're having a laugh right? West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum is a fantastic album. There are also some great songs on Velocoraptor and Empire.

Snow Patrol could qualify... Final Straw is a very strong album yet all else is average to poor.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Muse definately not. Bar their most recent one they have all been fantastic.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Maybe would have agreed with Bluetones a while back. But having seen them recently at the Concorde 2 and having since listened to their more recent stuffs, Luxembourg and New Athens sound fine to me.

Jul 20, 2003
A band's first album is sometimes like a 'best of' of their last three years of songwriting. The much shorter time to write and put together the second album can sometimes have a very negative impact on its quality.

FACT (not 'THIS') such a shame though, Bowie was indulged for 5 or 6 years and then became Bowie - what chance do we have of an El Whooreo Cracky Party-Con ft. Sylv Plastico Canute Wobbleathon long player to match his nascent quality?

Jul 20, 2003
personally I'm championing the works of "Spazzdammer Wizzel and the Shabizzle All Starr Fliperty Jibberrty Dick Wadathon Army of Jews" -

challenging ART

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Franz Ferdinand.
The Coral.

As much as I'd love to eat custard out of Kate Jackson's arse, The Long Blondes. First album a corker, second a crimescene.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloc party
Razorlight
Muse (after absolution)
Killers (after sams town)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interpol. Amazing first album, then average second and piss poor third...

4th is definitely better than third, check it out if you haven't. Agreed that ToTBL is by a MASSIVE way their best, and for one of the very best albums of the last 10 years or so.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Bloc party
Razorlight

Bloc Party's an interesting one. First album is amazing. From there they evolved to make music not that popular and I found it hard to like. However, I don't think they went crap necessarily.

Razorlight, TOP shout. Surprised it took that long to think of them!

Jul 20, 2003
Glasvegas 1st album had a certain charm but bloody hell did that not last

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Can't believe The Stereophonics haven't made it on to the list. Fabulous first album, self indulgent whiney dirges thereafter. FWIW I think Second Coming by the Stone Roses is a cruelly underrated album, it seems to be punished for sounding nothing like it's sumptuous forebear rather than on it's own merit's.

Also have to disagree with PMB re Metallica, as much as I love Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and the Black Album were all superior and on Death Magnetic they finally had a return to form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here