Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands whose 1st album was brilliant.....who now are crap

Jul 20, 2003
Echo and the Bunnymen, whilst not being crap, will never make an album as good as their first four

This is a FACT

Oct 25, 2003
The Stone Roses are probably the best example of this.

Definitely Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They're now just derivative.

2nd coming wasn't as good as stone roses but definitely wasn't crap......in fact it was very good imo

i'd say blood sex sugar magik was the best chilli peppers album (that was their 2nd wasn't it?), and californication was decent as well........after that not great bar a couple of decent songs on by the way and that other one they did that had "snow" on it- i liked that song

Oct 25, 2003
i was never a fan of "more specials", and as the specials only really did 2 albums i'm going for them!

some may disagree about their second.....i've just never been into it

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
I agree wholeheartedly with:
Oasis
Strokes
Ride
Supergrass

Would dispute
Radiohead - 1st album not a patch on 2nd and 3rd
Sonic Youth - 1st two albums "Sonic Youth" and "Confusion is Sex" largely unlistenable, their purple patch was a few albums later from "Sister" to "Dirty"
Prince - lots of good albums, this isn't about artists who eventually tailed off after a long period of greatness

Will add:
Teardrop Explodes
Undertones (maybe harsh on 2nd album)
Buzzcocks
Sugarcubes
Portishead
and one solo artist Tricky

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Oh and The Sundays (I'm still in love with Harriet Wheeler though)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sugarcubes
Portishead
and one solo artist Tricky

Hmm...Sugarcubes is a marginal one, Portishead just have a slightly dodgy 3rd album but the second was as good as the first and Tricky's latest album is a great return to form. As good as Maxinquaye possibly. (Strange how we hear different things, I loved Sonic Youth's first album!)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Every band ever? Maybe a handful of exceptions.

Young hungry bands make better music than bands whose members start to get families and mortgages. Don't they?

A band's first album is sometimes like a 'best of' of their last three years of songwriting. The much shorter time to write and put together the second album can sometimes have a very negative impact on its quality.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Big country ( the crossing )

Whilst The Crossing was awesome when it arrived, Steeltown, The Seer were equally impressive and after some time out The Buffalo Skinners was genius.

Hard Fi
Evanescence
Keane
Gene
Five Star :blush:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Electrelane. They got rid of Rachel Dalley and have been rubbish ever since!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here