Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands whose 1st album was brilliant.....who now are crap

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Guns N' Roses

Is the correct answer. Appetite for Destruction was the soundtrack to my adolescence, but their most recent effort (albeit Axl and a few session musicians) was abominable.

Would also suggest The Fratellis. Cracking first album, dull second that was so crap they split up.

Sent from my iPhone during a rare moment of 3G signal

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You're having a laugh right? West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum is a fantastic album. There are also some great songs on Velocoraptor and Empire.

Snow Patrol could qualify... Final Straw is a very strong album yet all else is average to poor.

I have to agree with THPP about Kasabian, first album was great, second album was ok, last 2 albums were a bit pants.

As for Snow Patrol, Final Straw was their third album (although the first big one) but I agree they do seem to have got weaker with each album.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Wonderful shout with Ride - will raise you JJ72 and not crap but progressively worse I would say after Pod are the breeders

Going Blank Again is a top album. Not as good as Nowhere, granted, but certainly not in the crap bracket. Their third album, which was written and recorded while basically imploding, is toilet, however.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Going Blank Again is a top album. Not as good as Nowhere, granted, but certainly not in the crap bracket. Their third album, which was written and recorded while basically imploding, is toilet, however.

You mean their 4th album. 3rd album Carnival of light was OK-ish (not a patch on Nowhere) but an album of the two songwriters going their different ways.

4th album Tarantula was indeed very poor.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I know I will get flack for this but I give you The Clash.
1st LP great,
2nd Give them enough rope utter drivel.
3rd London calling never really got what all the fuss was about?
4th Sandinista, hours of self indulgent crap.
5th Cut the crap, although slagged off by most fans and the press is probably their 2nd best IMO.

Someone said the Buzzcocks!! I know what you mean but their next 2 LPs were just different and not Crap.

The sex Pistols never made a 2nd album..you cant count The Rock and roll swindle as the Sex pistols.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
You mean their 4th album. 3rd album Carnival of light was OK-ish (not a patch on Nowhere) but an album of the two songwriters going their different ways.

4th album Tarantula was indeed very poor.

Yes, I seem to have merged albums 3 and 4 into one! I actually listened to Going Blank Again the other day and it still sounds superb. Think Leave Them All Behind is an amazing opener.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Literally just came onto this thread to say them. First album actually genuinely ROCKED. Then they realised they could make much more money spewing out MOR dirges (Sing sing sing, side side side, turn turn turn).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Spot on. The definitive example of a tremendous first album followed by nothing but DROSS

Disagree. Capture/Release was indeed quality but Ten New Messages is perfectly alright to listen to, without pulling up trees IMO.

Sam's Town has a number of EXCELLENT songs on it.

Bling (Confessions of a King) is their best song. Listen to it afresh on it's own. It's an utter STOMPER of a tune.

There was always going to be a backlash after such an amazing first album, but listened to now, Sam's Town stands up pretty well, IMO.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
A couple of "The" bands from about a decade ago spring to mind in The Vines and, if a couple of early mini-albums don't count, then The Hives as well.

More recently, I'm going to be a bit harsh and also throw in Memory Tapes, Midnight Juggernauts and Friendly Fires.

Good thread, though there's so many bands that I felt couldn't be added because a) even though their later stuff wasn't as amazing as their debut, they were still pretty good (i.e, Interpol, Supergrass, The Strokes) or b) they had at least two good early albums but then went on to become really disappointing (i.e, Belle & Sebastian, Kings Of Leon, Oasis)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, I seem to have merged albums 3 and 4 into one! I actually listened to Going Blank Again the other day and it still sounds superb. Think Leave Them All Behind is an amazing opener.

Twisterella is a fantastic song.... still

The Beastie Boy's chout is the most ridiculous thing I have read. All their Albums are class, ther h=may have been going for a little too long long but Pauls Boutique, Check your head, Ill Communication and hello nasty (off the top of my head) are all better than licence to ill.

BLood ses sugar magik was the chilli peppers 4th or 5th album and not as good as mothers milk.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some people have missed the point a bit, loads of bands go crap once they're on third, fourth, fifth album or whatever, especially if it's just a contractual obligation album.

My own contribution to "1st brilliant, 2nd shit" would be The Lambrettas and The Stranglers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Twisterella is a fantastic song.... still

The Beastie Boy's chout is the most ridiculous thing I have read. All their Albums are class, ther h=may have been going for a little too long long but Pauls Boutique, Check your head, Ill Communication and hello nasty (off the top of my head) are all better than licence to ill.

BLood ses sugar magik was the chilli peppers 4th or 5th album and not as good as mothers milk.

Paul's boutique - 1988
Check your head - 1992
Ill Communication - 1994

Am I misreading the thread title or something? Yes, they're great albums. Paul's Boutique is an absolute classic but have you heard their recent stuff?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Paul's boutique - 1988
Check your head - 1992
Ill Communication - 1994

Am I misreading the thread title or something? Yes, they're great albums. Paul's Boutique is an absolute classic but have you heard their recent stuff?

mmm maybe. But their first album wasn't brilliant (in comparison to their others) and they are not crap now (not as good as they once were but compared to other stuff around not what i would describe as crap)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here