Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands whose 1st album was brilliant.....who now are crap

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No. Sorry but disagree vehemently on that.

Yeah, you're right. I just had a look through there CD's and they had a couple of good ones. To my mind only there first really stood out. I had a complete nightmare with this thread last night and stayed up too late racking my head but every time I though of a band I realised it was only because I enjoyed the first album so much, that the following albums although good didn't match up to the first.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Paul's boutique - 1988
Check your head - 1992
Ill Communication - 1994

Am I misreading the thread title or something? Yes, they're great albums. Paul's Boutique is an absolute classic but have you heard their recent stuff?
I'd say all three of those were absolute classics. I agree with Badfish, the Beastie Boys have no place on this thread.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yeah, you're right. I just had a look through there CD's and they had a couple of good ones. To my mind only there first really stood out. I had a complete nightmare with this thread last night and stayed up too late racking my head but every time I though of a band I realised it was only because I enjoyed the first album so much, that the following albums although good didn't match up to the first.

I think Hombre Lobo is my fave Eels album but Beautiful Freak is a wonderful album. In fact I'm going to put it on now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'd say all three of those were absolute classics. I agree with Badfish, the Beastie Boys have no place on this thread.

Maybe I am missing something about the thread title but I thought it was about bands that had made classic albums but are NOW crap. Yes...they are classics but look when they were written - nearly 20 years ago. have you heard Mix-Up and Hot Sauce Committee? You know, the albums of the last 5 years? They've run out of ideas.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I honestly can't believe Sonic Youth and Beastie Boys have been suggested in this thread (Buzzer!), somebody might as well name the Pixies and complete a triple of my favourite bands.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I honestly can't believe Sonic Youth and Beastie Boys have been suggested in this thread (Buzzer!), somebody might as well name the Pixies and complete a triple of my favourite bands.

For the last time....yes they were good but now they are crap. Isn't that what the thread title says?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For the last time....yes they were good but now they are crap. Isn't that what the thread title says?
I was assuming it meant that the first album was the only good album.

I haven't listened to any of the Beastie Boys latest albums, tbh. I was going to put the latest on my xmas list until Herr Tubthumber suggested it was a bit toilet.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't see what's crap about a bunch of 40 year-old dudes bouncing about on stage to Hip-Hop but yes their newest albums are crap, although I seem to remember enjoying Sonic Youth's last album but it was it no way up there with the early albums.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Justice.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In which case I have misread the title and gladly take back Beastie Boys, Morrissey, Sonic Youth and most of the other bands I mentioned.

But probably not Gomez.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They only made one album so not eligible as they did not make a second one to be judged on.

Whilst cobbled together for a soundtrack The Great Rock n Roll Swindle was a Pistols album was it not?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Whilst cobbled together for a soundtrack The Great Rock n Roll Swindle was a Pistols album was it not?

Techically it was yes. But it was put together by Glitterbest the Pistols management company after they had split up, it was some pistols, some McLaren and even Ronnie Biggs singing FFS :facepalm:
So whilst it had the pistols name to it to sell it, there was nothing new on there as a "new album" The sex Pistols did not contribute to it, it was just a way to make more money for McLaren.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Have literally just seen this thread and the first band that came into my head was Starsailor. First album was awesome, numbers 2, 3 and 4 average at best.
Killers 1st album was nigh impossible to better, disagree about Manics, I'm still buying their albums now, all good.
Hard Fi's recent album is quality, going to see them Sunday at the Concorde.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
I have to agree with THPP about Kasabian, first album was great, second album was ok, last 2 albums were a bit pants.

As for Snow Patrol, Final Straw was their third album (although the first big one) but I agree they do seem to have got weaker with each album.

I massively disagree with the bit about Kasabian. I would say the 1st is the best, followed by W.R.P.L.A., followed by Empire, followed by Velociraptor.

WRPLA is a close 2nd if you give it a decent listen - barely any weak tracks with 3-4 stand outs. Velociraptor has enough good songs on it to avoid them now being "crap". If you went to the gig in Brighton last week you will realise that is just bollocks.

I am aware Final Straw is SP's 3rd album (although they were called "Polar Bear" for their 1st). I was pointing out that the only quality album they have released is Final Straw. The stuff before and after has been poor with the odd highlight (Chasing Cars).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Techically it was yes. But it was put together by Glitterbest the Pistols management company after they had split up, it was some pistols, some McLaren and even Ronnie Biggs singing FFS :facepalm:
So whilst it had the pistols name to it to sell it, there was nothing new on there as a "new album" The sex Pistols did not contribute to it, it was just a way to make more money for McLaren.

Fair enough. I have always thought that if the Pistols walked away after that final gig in San Francisco when Rotten's last words were "ever felt you been had?" then theirs would have been the most perfect band career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here