Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just back.

Played some tidy football particularly in the first half, but literally nothing in the final third. The fact Lamptey had our best effort tells the story. Whilst I get the false 9 against the ‘big’ teams, we should be going for the kill against lesser teams.

Steele was great, Dunk and Duffy excellent, Webster steady, disappointed with the midfield, Bissouma showed glimpses, but we were ponderous on the ball.

Very frustrated…..

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Liverpool don’t do defence, just one intent to score goals.

Villa, Newcastle pack their defensive set ups, huge numbers involved.

Each game is different, of course, but, as much as I really like Potter, I thought we had a tactical genius but some of his decisions leave me very pissed off, like tonight.
I am convinced that is why we don't seem to be able to win against the sides we should be winning against.
It's not just the odd game, it's most times we play those teams.
It's all very odd.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My apologies

I was trying to inject some humour into the situation.I find it hard to believe we can come back from 2 down at Anfield yet lose to that lot

Connolly needs to go out on loan.He should be nowhere near our first eleven again this season

Connolly should have gone out on loan in any of the last four windows. He must have got something on someone if, as alleged, he doesn't want to go out on loan and can't be forced. I've always been a fan and supporter - he wasn't PL2 player of the season for nothing - but unless at some point he takes on board the 'must' word, and gets on with it, time to flog him* off to League 1 or a minor European league.

*Currently, not for very much.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just back.

Played some tidy football particularly in the first half, but literally nothing in the final third. The fact Lamptey had our best effort tells the story. Whilst I get the false 9 against the ‘big’ teams, we should be going for the kill against lesser teams.

Steele was great, Dunk and Duffy excellent, Webster steady, disappointed with the midfield, Bissouma showed glimpses, but we were ponderous on the ball.

Very frustrated…..

Just back also. Ponderous is the word……so, so slow once we go on the attack. No urgency or creativity and therefore no penetration. Yet again when a team sits deep we have no clue how to break them down.

Crap journey up, crap atmosphere (home fans were literally silent most of the time until they scored), crap performance, crap result, crap gridlock leaving Brum. Pie was ok. :shrug:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Just back also. Ponderous is the word……so, so slow once we go on the attack. No urgency or creativity and therefore no penetration. Yet again when a team sits deep we have no clue how to break them down.

Crap journey up, crap atmosphere (home fans were literally silent most of the time until they scored), crap performance, crap result, crap gridlock leaving Brum. Pie was ok. :shrug:

Just rubbing it in aren't you. Didn't bother with a pie, the queue was too long.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

We were lucky with our journey, biggest delay was for food at Oxford on way back.

Good call re atmosphere, their fans were embarrassing…..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Each game is different, of course, but, as much as I really like Potter, I thought we had a tactical genius but some of his decisions leave me very pissed off, like tonight.
I am convinced that is why we don't seem to be able to win against the sides we should be winning against.
It's not just the odd game, it's most times we play those teams.
It's all very odd.

Deep lying defences supported by disciplined defensive midfielders, are GP’s achilles heel in his 2.3 seasons.

Playing a possession based game to regularly beat them requires world class creators and forwards, with pace to burn …. Liverpool and City. Out of our price range.

As a layman imho leaving 2 alternatives:
- Play them at their own game with a counter attacking team eg Hodgson, Nuno, Mourinho. Not giving a rat’s **** about possession; and/or
- Carrying a huge threat at set pieces eg Dyche. A tall striker or two, CB’s who hit the net.

We have neither.

I presume we’ll carry on with the passing game. I thought the return of Lamptey would be the icing on the cake, complimenting Cucurella on the other wing. Wrong. I didn’t bank on opposing coaches simply doubling up on our wings, suffocating one of our main supply routes.

Feels so flat and dull to watch.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
...as much as I really like Potter, I thought we had a tactical genius but some of his decisions leave me very pissed off, like tonight.

I essentially agree with this, but I still tend towards the idea we do have a tactical genius, but sometimes he is trying to be too clever, or potentially stubborn. I definitely rate Potter, I can't think of someone who would be preferable to be in charge, but like you, some of his decisions leave me :mad:

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Barely a peep from their fans until their goal, they barely had the ball either.

We kept it well but very relaxed going forward, really lacked urgency and obviously a target man to hit.
So disappointing but we'll go again.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Well if everyone else is playing....just back as well. Apart from the result, a good day but f*** me, if we stop and go back when pushing forward one more time I'm going to have an aneurism. I know I shouldn't moan but we are a worse team going forward this season. We got lucky against Burnley, Brentford, Leicester, Norwich, Palace and Liverpool (they should have been out of sight before our magnificent second half) and our luck has run out. Last season we were missing loads but this season we are barely creating chances albeit playing some lovely stuff. We look clueless as we approach the penalty box, striker or no striker. I'm not at all convinced we aren't still in a relegation battle but hopefully this is just the ramblings of a frustrated, tired fan and all will be back on track against Leeds. Quietest home fans until the goal I've heard for a while though.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Based upon viewing Sky's highlights only:

1. What a glorious ball in from Cucu. More of the same please.
2. Mingpiece got a bit lucky but he hit it first time. There's no shame in that. Maybe he has no confidence to control it, but job done.
3. Had Moder hit his chance first time, who knows?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd given Villa Park and the Holt End in particular the large one, to Jnr, they were incredibly disappointing.

Much like the football.

Good to see the ESL on tour, or I assume that was the case judging by the exodus after the first goal.
I mean come on, how much difference does that 5 mins make?

Hats off to the fella who shouted **** at each person leaving.
Plus another fella repeatedly shouting "but you're from Birmingham!" :lolol:

We seemed to be away from the lads who's diet is so poor they're always queuing for a cubicle, in the toilet, so that was a bonus.

Super smooth drive there and back.

All in all a nice day ruined by football.
Wasn't the first won't be the last.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Lets be honest nothing has really changed from last season, we just had some luck in the beginning of the season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lets be honest nothing has really changed from last season, we just had some luck in the beginning of the season.

Or the season before that.

It's been evident for quite a while, in fairness it's been hiding in plan sight all this season too.
Many of us chose to ignore it, basking in potential Europa League 'glory' and palace being shite, but oh my are we on a comedown now!!

A case could easily be made for this team to be 19th right now.

An end of year 'Potter in or out' thread could be quite lively!
(Still in as always - but blimey he makes it difficult)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here