Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We had a girl near us yesterday, who was very vocal and incredibly negative, all game - fair enough you pays your money.

Anyhoo she spent the first half effing and jeffing about 'get it in there' 'quicker' 'shoot'.

Then spent the second half with the Albion 'attacking' right in front of us, screaming 'there's no one in the box'.

I didn't have the stones to point out that's probably why they didn't get it in there, in the first half :lol:

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I was teasing. I watched a fair few Villa, fans going on 78minutes. Blimey.
As an aside was that a No. 7 bus you caught from near the Witton Arms? When our coach left it seemed that there was one-way traffic past the Doug Ellis Stand down to the lights. I am sure if that is the case that with a little bit of thought the police could get half a dozen Albion coaches on their way without too much trouble as far as the Expressway. Leicester Police can do it but the W Police obviously cant.

Out the ground and a jog to Lichfield Road. Think it was the 67. At the Amex, away fan coaches are well treated being shepherded away first. Not so much at the Villa by the sounds of it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But for me if we are playing three the obvious replacement for White is Veltman.

I'm not sure where that leaves Duffy who performed well yesterday.

Yes, difficult one. Duffy's rennaisence has been great - but nonetheless he has his limitations. I think our first choice back three is probably Veltman - Dunk - Webster. Would also like to see Webster on the right, so Webster - Dunk - Burn/Roberts. Maybe even Clarke on the left next season if we don't sell/let go.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We had a girl near us yesterday, who was very vocal and incredibly negative, all game - fair enough you pays your money.

Anyhoo she spent the first half effing and jeffing about 'get it in there' 'quicker' 'shoot'.

Then spent the second half with the Albion 'attacking' right in front of us, screaming 'there's no one in the box'.

I didn't have the stones to point out that's probably why they didn't get it in there, in the first half [emoji38]
Sounds like she knows what she's talking about !!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
At the start of the season we were getting players in the box. This was a big change from last season. It's now resorted back to no one, or just 1 man, in the box. It's almost as if no one knows who is supposed to be in there.

If there is no one on the pitch who, as part of their natural game, is looking for good position in the box, it won't happen as often as it should.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, difficult one. Duffy's rennaisence has been great - but nonetheless he has his limitations. I think our first choice back three is probably Veltman - Dunk - Webster. Would also like to see Webster on the right, so Webster - Dunk - Burn/Roberts. Maybe even Clarke on the left next season if we don't sell/let go.

From the little I’ve seen of Clarke, I’m just not sure he has the pace, so not really an improvement.
Roberts I just don’t think is up to this level from a physicality and ability perspective. I guess that leaves Ostigard, how is he for pace?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Ive just watched MOTD and in the post match review they never mentioned the word "Brighton" once. :facepalm:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

From the little I’ve seen of Clarke, I’m just not sure he has the pace, so not really an improvement.
Roberts I just don’t think is up to this level from a physicality and ability perspective. I guess that leaves Ostigard, how is he for pace?

I think you are right on Clarke, the NSC Derby fan has confirmed that pace is a problem. Looking at the goal we conceded yesterday, it’s a problem for our team too!

I’d cut Roberts some slack though, he is incredibly well thought of in terms of potential and at 19, is still growing (he’s 6ft now) and learning.

Dunk made his EPL debut at 25. Roberts has plenty of time to get to that level (although Ben White is perhaps a better comparison in terms of size, strength and style and made his EPL debut just short of his 23rd Birthday).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We were though arguably, the impact was greater with Lamptey, as they were petrified of him. Solly is a more than capable replacement for Cucurella IMO.

I'm just not seeing that and truth be told I never have.

As hard as I try, and blimey Charlie I really do try, I just can't get on The Solly Skateboard.

He was more likely to give away a penalty in his first 90 seconds yesterday than he ever was going to score in the same timeframe v Liverpool.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm just not seeing that and truth be told I never have.

As hard as I try, and blimey Charlie I really do try, I just can't get on The Solly Skateboard.

He was more likely to give away a penalty in his first 90 seconds yesterday than he ever was going to score in the same timeframe v Liverpool.

Will have to agree to disagree on Solly, however I did feel the same in those first 90 secs, but nothing was given, so perhaps our concerns were misguided?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will have to agree to disagree on Solly, however I did feel the same in those first 90 secs, but nothing was given, so perhaps our concerns were misguided?

Oh we're not disagreeing.

I want to loves Solly more than you do now.
I will try to loves him till he hangs up his boots.

I just struggle to loves him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you are right on Clarke, the NSC Derby fan has confirmed that pace is a problem. Looking at the goal we conceded yesterday, it’s a problem for our team too!

I’d cut Roberts some slack though, he is incredibly well thought of in terms of potential and at 19, is still growing (he’s 6ft now) and learning.

Dunk made his EPL debut at 25. Roberts has plenty of time to get to that level (although Ben White is perhaps a better comparison in terms of size, strength and style and made his EPL debut just short of his 23rd Birthday).

Good point re Roberts very well made, and perhaps I should, but for me at the moment, he doesn’t even stand out amongst his peers in U23s and was outmuscled frequently at Rochdale. At 19, I think Dunk was a long way ahead and I remember his debut at MK.

As you correctly highlight the club seem to rate him and they are in a better place than myself.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We were though arguably, the impact was greater with Lamptey, as they were petrified of him. Solly is a more than capable replacement for Cucurella IMO.

Petrified and petrified... Matt Targett had him in his pocket unfortunately. It was evident that Lamptey was horny to make dangerous raids into the Villa penalty area but once Targett stopped him and either took the player or the ball the first four or five times, Lamptey started to either cross it (to no one) or give it to Gross. They respected him, but petrified... nope, not yesterday.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I thought Gerrard made a good point when he said they allowed us to have the ball where they wanted us to have it. I like the playing out from the back but it needs to be more positive. I worry that GP has too optimistic view of our performance. Yes it was a close game that we could have won but actually using Gross Lallana and Moder in midfield is to me quite negative. Where was the player with the pace to burst into the box when the wingbacks crossed. It can't all be left to Trossard.

I was bewildered that after Lamptey went off we didn't bring Veltman on. He has the tactical awareness to prevent our right side from disintegrating as it did. Gross is a good player but not a wing back.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
An aside from the game, I was in section P row RR does anyone know what was going on a few rows in front of me. A few Albion fans were making a lot of complaints to stewards with phone footage, and I believe one Villa fan was ejected. I didn't notice any missiles being thrown, and the Villa fan must have been some 20 or 30 yards away so it could have been an audible insult.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not left sided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here