Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The thing I like to remember about Roberts is that he played in an FA Youth Cup tie away at Manchester United and a certain Mason Greenwood didn't get a sniff. I don't know what happened at Rochdale but he wasn't exactly surrounded by good players, they struggled with him in the side and without him

My guess would be going on loan again in January.

Now the club has 250 minutes of Roberts playing games against PL/Championship opposition that they can show to Championship clubs and he did well so there will be more interest in him compared to what was probably the case in the summer after the not so great Rochdale year.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Did you go Fareham?

Thought Biss was very ordinary by his standards.

Just interested as respect your opinion……

No I didn't unfortunately but found a good quality continuous flow of liquid.

I felt he was excellent and a real force in midfield. He rescued us a number of times with his usual quality positioning, tackling and harassing of their players but also tried to drive us forward more than the other midfielders did. With the exception of Moder a couple of times he was the only midfielder mobile enough to enable us to transition at any pace at all and his appreciation of space and knowing where to turn or lay the ball off was as good as ever. He is just an exceptional footballer.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No I didn't unfortunately but found a good quality continuous flow of liquid.

I felt he was excellent and a real force in midfield. He rescued us a number of times with his usual quality positioning, tackling and harassing of their players but also tried to drive us forward more than the other midfielders did. With the exception of Moder a couple of times he was the only midfielder mobile enough to enable us to transition at any pace at all and his appreciation of space and knowing where to turn or lay the ball off was as good as ever. He is just an exceptional footballer.

Interesting, it is definitely different on TV, I thought Moder had a shocker, effectively the goal was down to him, and often he lost the ball or didn’t cover. Re Bissouma, and positioning, I thought it actually let him down for once.

I do agree though, he is a wonderful player, though IMO was off the pace on Saturday.

All opinions. 😃👍

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Spoke to Villa supporting relative this morning, he said we shouldn't fear, there have already been 2 teams worse than us he's seen at Villa Park this season and he's confident we've got enough to stay up although he expects Villa will be above us by the end of the year. Also said he spoke to Brighton fans walking back to the city centre who said it was the best atmosphere they had witnessed in the PL and it was the raucous home support as much as the quality of Villas play that we ultimately couldn't handle.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spoke to Villa supporting relative this morning, he said we shouldn't fear, there have already been 2 teams worse than us he's seen at Villa Park this season and he's confident we've got enough to stay up although he expects Villa will be above us by the end of the year. Also said he spoke to Brighton fans walking back to the city centre who said it was the best atmosphere they had witnessed in the PL and it was the raucous home support as much as the quality of Villas play that we ultimately couldn't handle.

The atmosphere was eerily quiet until they scored, probably just about the worst I’ve seen/heard since we were promoted. I call BS (or classic Crodo)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting, it is definitely different on TV, I thought Moder had a shocker, effectively the goal was down to him, and often he lost the ball or didn’t cover. Re Bissouma, and positioning, I thought it actually let him down for once.

I do agree though, he is a wonderful player, though IMO was off the pace on Saturday.

All opinions. 😃👍

By no means did Bissouma have any of his best games but he was still better than anyone else in the team (which really doesnt say all that much). Yes maybe out of position a few times but thats what happens when the three other midfielders are trying to do some invisible man-impression.

Moder made a couple of runs, agree with Farehamseagull on that, but he was also poor so I agree with you as well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry, but 😂😂😂😂

Have I been whooshed?!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
By no means did Bissouma have any of his best games but he was still better than anyone else in the team (which really doesnt say all that much). Yes maybe out of position a few times but thats what happens when the three other midfielders are trying to do some invisible man-impression.

Moder made a couple of runs, agree with Farehamseagull on that, but he was also poor so I agree with you as well.

Biss put in a couple of absolutely outstanding tackles - the kind no-one else in our squad is able to make.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing I like to remember about Roberts is that he played in an FA Youth Cup tie away at Manchester United and a certain Mason Greenwood didn't get a sniff. I don't know what happened at Rochdale but he wasn't exactly surrounded by good players, they struggled with him in the side and without him

He was barely 18 when he went to Rochdale! He has, I think, grown a bit since then, and could well grow a bit more yet. He looks a lot more solid these days too. It's a job for him to stand out among his peers in the U23s though - he doesn't ever play for the U23s any more!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, but ��������

Have I been whooshed?!

Yes. Yes you have.

Crodo missed out the Aston Villa's Most Famous Supporter thread and I was wondering if it was because he'd have to post a selfie.

All part of the tropes along with ironic looks at prime time television, mainstream music and politics. File alongside Gurjit's dubious sweepstake draws.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Villa Park was silent until they scored. Their fans were pathetic.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Villa Park was silent until they scored. Their fans were pathetic.

Yeah couldn't believe how quiet they were; "where's ya famous atmosphere?" they seemed seriously edgy. First Villa visit since 2006 in the FA Cup, fans were pretty friendly before the game, a lot of admiration for GP. After just ran like f**k for car

Really should have never lost that game Villa were poor...

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I thought Villa were gash, and if Gerrard doesn't believe that they got away with one, he won't be in that job long. Villa fans were leaving long before they scored.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah couldn't believe how quiet they were; "where's ya famous atmosphere?" they seemed seriously edgy. First Villa visit since 2006 in the FA Cup, fans were pretty friendly before the game, a lot of admiration for GP. After just ran like f**k for car

Really should have never lost that game Villa were poor...

A draw would have been fair, two out of form low on confidence teams played that game.

Oh well, we always beat Leeds……

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing we didn't already know

FE0C8KQXoAM0Vz5.jpeg

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Struggle with those numbers and doesn’t represent what it felt like or looked like. Perhaps Targett, got the credit for the triple-teaming?

Re the crossing I don’t disagree, but the fact he got crosses in the box, would indicate Targett didn’t perhaps do that good a job. Due to the tactics there were very rarely more than two options available where it mattered.

Eh? Lamptey did nothing all day - they closed him down very effectively. Notably, Targett had no issues staying up with him which is a concern - Targett isn't lightning quick.

Targett played a blinder all game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Eh? Lamptey did nothing all day - they closed him down very effectively. Notably, Targett had no issues staying up with him which is a concern - Targett isn't lightning quick.

Targett played a blinder all game.

Not exactly. They defended Lamptey well as a team but they doubled or tripled him. Targett used that opportunity to stay inside and behind and then put in some nice challenges. But if it had been a straight one on one Lamptey would have rinsed him.

Unfortunately, with no striker and the Treacle Boots Brothers in midfield we had no one who could exploit the space that left.

In the second half Lamptey was a lot more dangerous but had nothing to aim for.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not exactly. They defended Lamptey well as a team but they doubled or tripled him. Targett used that opportunity to stay inside and behind and then put in some nice challenges. But if it had been a straight one on one Lamptey would have rinsed him.

Unfortunately, with no striker and the Treacle Boots Brothers in midfield we had no one who could exploit the space that left.

In the second half Lamptey was a lot more dangerous but had nothing to aim for.

Exactly. Targett struggled in one on one situations.

Even now, I'm still struggling with the lack of numbers in the box against a very poor side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here