Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole - Engalnd career over?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Who really cares whether Ashley Cole is that important to the England team? I'm pretty Ashely doesn't. It is precisely this sort of behaviour which has reduced my enthusiasm for the national side over the years. No-one comes out of this saga well. Just a bunch of precious overpaid bellends deserving of no-ones respect, who the f**k cares anymore.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Let's see if he actually tries to sign him shall we... or he ends up buying a much better leftback for half the price from somewhere other than England
Lets see if they can get ANYONE to go and play in France now with the tax rises that Monsieur Hollande has instigated , your post really doesnt hold water.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Let's see if he actually tries to sign him shall we... or he ends up buying a much better leftback for half the price from somewhere other than England

That has NO bearing on the debate.

You don't always sign the player who you think is the best in the world do you? You balance up cost, wages, age etc etc etc

PSG will KNOW Ronaldo is one the best in the world....but they wont sign him if it's not financially viable/the player doesnt want to go there!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I tend to agree with this. If he was so briliant then other clubs would have come in for him. I do not recall many/any clubs making serious attempts to lure him away. And as you say, very very one footed. I'll concede he is very good at what he does but it stops there.
Your anti-British view on everything really grates after a while.

If you could swap his natural ability with that of Phillip Lahm, you'd still have Lahm as the better player. At the end of the day, Cole has been world class for a decade.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I was purely arguing the original statment that he is the best by a 'COUNTRY MILE'. He may be the best in your opinion (as theres not way to PROVE it), but he certainly isnt a 'country mile' better than Alba and Contrao and even Marcelo (though he cant really defend!).

This

Who really cares whether Ashley Cole is that important to the England team? I'm pretty Ashely doesn't. It is precisely this sort of behaviour which has reduced my enthusiasm for the national side over the years. No-one comes out of this saga well. Just a bunch of precious overpaid bellends deserving of no-ones respect, who the f**k cares anymore.

And this.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And foreign managers seem to think so:

PSG boss Ancelotti: Ashley Cole is world's best left-back - Goal.com

You'd have to be a mad spastic to think Ashley Cole hasn't been a world class performer (probably England's only one) over the past 5 years. Its beyond debate to all but the terminably-drilling.
Agreed. And why are people saying he shouldn't play for England any more? I may be wrong but all he's done is call the FA twats isn't it?. So what? People ALWAYS call the FA twats - we've done it enough on here. What next, ban everybody who has ever sworn in public?

I'm heartily sick of all this now and I've completely switched sides to the extent that I now think John Terry is very much the victim in all this and has been FAR to heavily hammered. I hope he sues the FA for billions for emotional distress and thus starts a long-overdue fightback against our repressive and intolerant society.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Also, on the Ashley Cole point, I don't think anyone is claiming he's not GOOD.

I was purely arguing the original statment that he is the best by a 'COUNTRY MILE'. He may be the best in your opinion (as theres not way to PROVE it), but he certainly isnt a 'country mile' better than Alba and Contrao and even Marcelo (though he cant really defend!).

you might like to pay attention, theres plenty here seem to be saying he's not good. "country mile" is hyperbole of course and spoils it really as people react to that rather than simply accepting hes really rather good.

as for comment on Marcelo, for me the primary purpose of a Full Back is to defend, otherwise they are a wingback or a winger out of position. if Ronaldo played at LB he'd probably be considered the best int he world, but really he's not going to be a very good full back. i reckon this is something overlooked with Cole by detractors, he can actually a good defender as well as the attacking side. too many full backs at the top arent all that good at the former, relying on pacey or tactically astute center backs and defensive midfielders to cover them.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Lets see if they can get ANYONE to go and play in France now with the tax rises that Monsieur Hollande has instigated , your post really doesnt hold water.

Erm... did you see who PSG signed this summer?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
So, he just called him "world class" for NO reason then. Well done, brains of britain.

Cheers Chesney... i take that as a compliment! I suspect he was asked about Cole and then gave his views. To be honest though... it's all super tedious. I think he's vastly overrated and some people think he's the bees knees. Most people don't really care.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Erm, did you see when the tax law was brought in? ( i'LL GIVE YOU A CLUE, IT WAS LESS THAN A WEEK AGO)

was it last week? thanks for the helpful clue.

don't think it'll affect things greatly. just means they'll either have to raise salaries to factor in the new top rate of tax or they'll work some some of tax avoidance scheme involving image rights or some such thing. PSG have EXTREMELY deep pockets at the moment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:lolol: thats a bit like saying Messi is too short short and lightweight for defending set peices, but conceding he's very good at what he does do well.

Being two footed should be a pre-requisite for ANY player. So no, it isn't a bit like saying Messi is too short.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sam Wallace ‏[MENTION=612]Sam[/MENTION]WallaceIndy
Reliably informed that Ashley Cole has spoken to Roy Hodgson this afternoon & that Cole will be reporting for England duty on Monday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There have been several clubs interested , no official bids i'll grant you, but then there havent been official bids for messi or xavi or iniesta , does that condemn this trio to one footed mediocrity in your book ? You're blinded by your dislike of chelsea or at least certain players there , and its plainly reflected in your biased and factually incorrect ravings.

Who could tempt that trio from Barca? The only way out of Barca is down, and down a long long way. I can think of plenty of clubs which would be an upward step from Chelsea though. So you cannot compare the lack of interest in Messi etc to that of Cole.

For the record I don't hate Chelsea.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Being two footed should be a pre-requisite for ANY player. So no, it isn't a bit like saying Messi is too short.

Going slightly off topic, one of the many things that annoyed me about Andy Gray was that he insisted every player should be two footed, but then made a big deal about anyone who used their weaker foot to score a goal, even unspectacular goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here