Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole - Engalnd career over?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A good player, yes. But why is this best in the world thing so often dragged up? It's a bit insulting to be honest

yeah, how dare we in England say we have a top world class player, everyone knows all our players are underperformers.

except a good many international pundits, who do see all the worlds footballers rate him as the best. ok, maybe a fading force now knocking on 32, but for 5 years plus has been consistant top and widely recognised as best of the trade. why do we have to knock and put down our own? (probably find fault even if he wasnt a cock away from football)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
which is what his position for England should be based on.

Disagree. I for one have huge issues with certain people representing my nation around the world. Have you ever thought how it makes us look?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
yeah, how dare we in England say we have a top world class player, everyone knows all our players are underperformers.

except a good many international pundits, who do see all the worlds footballers rate him as the best. ok, maybe a fading force now knocking on 32, but for 5 years plus has been consistant top and widely recognised as best of the trade. why do we have to knock and put down our own? (probably find fault even if he wasnt a cock away from football)

who outside of England called him the world's best? find me some evidence and i'll believe you... Ashley Cole has always been the world's most overrated left back in my opinion. he's completely and utterly one footed for starters - my right foot is better than his and i'm rubbish at football.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
who outside of England called him the world's best? find me some evidence and i'll believe you... Ashley Cole has always been the world's most overrated left back in my opinion. he's completely and utterly one footed for starters - my right foot is better than his and i'm rubbish at football.

I tend to agree with this. If he was so briliant then other clubs would have come in for him. I do not recall many/any clubs making serious attempts to lure him away. And as you say, very very one footed. I'll concede he is very good at what he does but it stops there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well said but what would professional sports journalists know compared to NSC.

Just because you're a journo it does not mean you know it all. You will probably have a better way with words and a better way with expressing yourself and your knowledge but to suggest they know more about the game is not necessarily true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They would have seen a lot more players a lot more times than anybody on here and as such be in a better position to form an opinion based on ability rather than personality.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
And as you say, very very one footed. I'll concede he is very good at what he does but it stops there.

:lolol: thats a bit like saying Messi is too short short and lightweight for defending set peices, but conceding he's very good at what he does do well.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The fact that so many seem to hate him doesn't alter the fact that the FA say he's a liar, who wouldn't react angrily to that? I don't have strong feelings about him one way or the other, I probably wouldn't like him much if I new him but at least he sticks up for his mates.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I tend to agree with this. If he was so briliant then other clubs would have come in for him. I do not recall many/any clubs making serious attempts to lure him away. And as you say, very very one footed. I'll concede he is very good at what he does but it stops there.
There have been several clubs interested , no official bids i'll grant you, but then there havent been official bids for messi or xavi or iniesta , does that condemn this trio to one footed mediocrity in your book ? You're blinded by your dislike of chelsea or at least certain players there , and its plainly reflected in your biased and factually incorrect ravings.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
They would have seen a lot more players a lot more times than anybody on here and as such be in a better position to form an opinion based on ability rather than personality.

Are you suggesting that because Andy Naylor works for The Argus he's a better judge of a player than anybody who reads NSC? Have you read his rambling nonsense in the Argus... this is the man who hailed Mick Adams 'the special one' when he returned. Special indeed.

I wish Cole and Terry would test themselves by playing overseas somewhere... preferably right in the middle of the Atlantic. Boom boom!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There have been several clubs interested , no official bids i'll grant you, but then there havent been official bids for messi or xavi or iniesta , does that condemn this trio to one footed mediocrity in your book ? You're blinded by your dislike of chelsea or at least certain players there , and its plainly reflected in your biased and factually incorrect ravings.

Beaten to it.

Also, on the Ashley Cole point, I don't think anyone is claiming he's not GOOD.

I was purely arguing the original statment that he is the best by a 'COUNTRY MILE'. He may be the best in your opinion (as theres not way to PROVE it), but he certainly isnt a 'country mile' better than Alba and Contrao and even Marcelo (though he cant really defend!).

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here