Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
From where I sat, he held the ball up, had the long range free kick just about saved by the keeper, one swerving shot that missed by inches. Wouldn't say he was great, but certainly not as dreadful as people are making out.

But no, NSC must have it's scapegoat....

Held the ball up :lolol: I think you just made my week, what game were you watching?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I don't rate Barnes but that doesn't mean I don't want him to play well. I would love him to improve in all recognition and earn a regular starting place.

One moment summed it up for me, can't remember who it was but one of our players shot early on in the second half and Barnes just watched the shot, watched the keeper spill the ball in his direction and then recover the ball to safety. He then had this look on his face of FFS the one time I don't follow up a shot and I would have had an easy tap-in.

There should never be a time you don't follow up a shot. That's the basics of your job.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Even with your rose tinted ones you'll never be able to accept that Barnes could actually do anything right.

Well remind me the last time he played well as my memory is going as well as my eyesight Catty.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I don't rate Barnes but that doesn't mean I don't want him to play well. I would love him to improve in all recognition and earn a regular starting place.

One moment summed it up for me, can't remember who it was but one of our players shot early on in the second half and Barnes just watched the shot, watched the keeper spill the ball in his direction and then recover the ball to safety. He then had this look on his face of FFS the one time I don't follow up a shot and I would have had an easy tap-in.

There should never be a time you don't follow up a shot. That's the basics of your job.

And what he is paid to do.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have always supported Barnes and had high hopes of him in this division but he is simply anonymous in almost every game at the moment.

A striker should be causing untold problems for a back four but teams (including Wrexham) easily contain him.

He has a good finish but needs to learn how to fashion his own chances rather than relying on tap ins and penaltys for goals

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
AB has been poor for some time, problem is the OP wants him to fail, unlike many of the rest of us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just seen Buckley's shot in the first half that ran straight to the keeper. All it needed was a poachers touch six yards out to redirect it and it was a certain goal. Who's boot did it roll pass six yards out??...Barnes,,,,and the keeper just picked it up easy...Them sort of chances are a strikers bread and butter. First home game I didn't attend yesterday due to xmas overspending etc...But I just don't think Barnes is the answer.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just seen Buckley's shot in the first half that ran straight to the keeper. All it needed was a poachers touch six yards out to redirect it and it was a certain goal. Who's boot did it roll pass six yards out??...Barnes,,,,and the keeper just picked it up easy...Them sort of chances are a strikers bread and butter. First home game I didn't attend yesterday due to xmas overspending etc...But I just don't think Barnes is the answer.

Its not just Barnes though. Why was JFC 1st to the KLL rebound vs Saints? Why was he also the player making the incisive run vs Wrexham?

None of our strikers are acting in the "poacher" role. Paynter, Barnes and CMS should all be snapping up the rebounds when they arise and making driving runs across the defenders. How many balls has KLL put in like the one on saturday and our strikers were not even in the box?!

JFC is hungry to score and thinks ahead of the play like all intelligent footballers do. Our strikers need to rediscover that same edge in my opinion, all of them.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its not just Barnes though. Why was JFC 1st to the KLL rebound vs Saints? Why was he also the player making the incisive run vs Wrexham?

None of our strikers are acting in the "poacher" role. Paynter, Barnes and CMS should all be snapping up the rebounds when they arise and making driving runs across the defenders. How many balls has KLL put in like the one on saturday and our strikers were not even in the box?!

JFC is hungry to score and thinks ahead of the play like all intelligent footballers do. Our strikers need to rediscover that same edge in my opinion, all of them.

Could not agree more. Overall its been shocking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it any coincidence that Barnes scored 20 goals last season when accompanied by Murray and CMS scored 30 with another team and player and neither are now hitting the net so perhaps there is some logic in peoples ideas that Gus made a mistake with both Murray and bringing in another striker. Lomano Lua Lua looked sharp playing for Blackpool yesterday and we didnt take him up after a trial perhaps Gus is blinkered about strikers and is expecting another Saurez.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

You have hit the nail on the Head JFC has the intelligence that Barnes lacks .

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
What with a cardboard cut-out replacing him? That's just ridiculous thinking that whoever was in instead of Barnes wouldn't have contributed at all.

Im just arguing that Barnes clearly is not a waste of space like you all think and thinking Paynter would be better when clearly he wouldnt, as the stats speak for them selfs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here