Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just looked without Barnes 7goals we would have been 5points worst off so would have been 18th in the league

It was his shot v portsmouth that CMS followed up, chalk off another 2 points.
Him closing down the peterborough goalkeeper led to the ball going to noone to score the first, he also won the free kick from which harley scored, chalk off another 2.
(he assisted both of cms's v leeds, but he also scored one so taking away his goal would have lost us the point anyway).
He made some good defensive contribution v hull, is that another point he can be credited with?

That would put us 20th-21st.

But of course, whoever we put on in his pace would have got them, too. Say, how did Paynter do again?

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
pens dont reflect on his contribution goals from open play do

in the stats i posted in which he won us points one was a pen in a 3-1 win and he scored 2 goals the other was in a 3-3 draw the rest were open play in the league

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Low on confidence, and the way we are playing does not play to his strengths.

He is good at finding positions in the box and running onto the ball into the box, unfortunately our centre forwards spend most of the time receiving the ball with their backs to goal 30-40 yards from the goal.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Sorry folks but Barnes was woeful today and just didn't look interested. He was also very easily shackled by the defence of a Blue Sq Premier side. I really doubt whether he is up to what we need in the Championship although it pains me to say so. A major, major disappointment for me this season.

It's easy to take the piss out of the opening poster, but to be fair he's right. Barnes was absolutely dreadful today, as he is almost every time he plays. People can bang on about "he's our top scorer" all they want. The fact is four of his seven goals have been penalties and the other three were all before September 10th. That's a long time ago now. He doesn't really ever threaten the goal, he's slow, he doesn't have any discernable skill and he's a bottler. I was sitting there today thinking that the Wrexham number 10 looked twice the player Barnes does, and he's a conference player. The usual suspects who stuck by dog shit like Tommy Fraser will continue to back Barnes, but the undeniable truth is that he's just not very good.

These.

Goals a goal ant it

Yes, but if Peter Brezovan had scored 4 penalty's would you be claiming "well, i think brezovan shud be upfront cos he has got 4, innit."?

I have tried to be patient with Barnes, he's young and he got a lot of goals last year, but at the end of the day, I could have got a fair few goals in our team last year. He's slow and weak, which wouldn't be a problem if he could finish... which he can't. He's also very lazy, he doesn't make any effort, you see his head drop during the game. Somebody doesn't pass to him and acts like a little child and sulks! It's pathetic.

Send him on loan to L1/L2 club for the rest of the season, hope he comes back a better play. If he doesn't, then get him out quickish for a £300,000 and call it a decent profit.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Barnes was shocking yesterday. Highlights our need for a quality striker to play alongside CMS.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
barnes was the worst player on the pitch yesterday...slow,weak trying to hold up the ball,moaning at team mates he was shit house :tosser:

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I hope he doesn't read this site! How about supporting the players that need the support. All players go through patches where they are low in confidence and not much goes for them, not forgetting Barnes is a young player. He will improve.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I hope he doesn't read this site! How about supporting the players that need the support. All players go through patches where they are low in confidence and not much goes for them, not forgetting Barnes is a young player. He will improve.

I hope your right! He cannot get much worse - dreadful yesterday, and they say your only as good as your last game!!

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I hope your right! He cannot get much worse - dreadful yesterday, and they say your only as good as your last game!!

I think the whole team wasn't really at its best yesterday, a couple of good moments from the likes of Lualua and Buckley but overall we could have been better.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
AB has been poor for some time, problem is the OP wants him to fail, unlike many of the rest of us.

I don't WANT anyone to fail, but after I was slated so viciously last year for suggesting Barnes was lightweight and wouldn't make it at a higher level, I will take the opportunity to say I told you so when it rises.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't WANT anyone to fail, but after I was slated so viciously last year for suggesting Barnes was lightweight and wouldn't make it at a higher level, I will take the opportunity to say I told you so when it rises.

I think you suggested Barnes would not make it at L1 level too. I don't recall many people saying they thought he would shine in this division TBH.

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
WHAT leave him alone, as sooooo many people have stated he has scored a few tap in's this season, and a few pens, he done well yesterday, his pass percentage yesterday was around 30% and i havn't seen him win a header in years lol.

Come on shoot me down, he is only young and is our top scorer.

Next time you watch him play count the times he gives a bad pass or loses the ball, jumps for a header and is nowhere near it, make a run between defenders and is first to it?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Not suited to the lone striker role
btw i quite like him as it goes
but play to his strengths or you wont see him at his best IMHO
I think it is the fact he does what Gus tells him to do regardless of his role in our eyes
Much like Dicker , that ensures his continued involvement in the team
Regardless of what us fans may think

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think you suggested Barnes would not make it at L1 level too. I don't recall many people saying they thought he would shine in this division TBH.

go back and read the thread :lolol:

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns is spot on by the way, he is lightweight and not up to this standard of football.

Said when "this standard" was league 1. That's only your first post in that thread, I don't know if you later changed your mind. 55 pages, not sure I can be bothered.

Last edited:

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
Barnes deserves all the criticism he'll get as a result of his performance today. Totally anonymous, never threatened and say what you like about his age, he hasn't performed to any standard in the last few months. His confidence is completely shot, but it might be because he's not as good as the other players in our team and he knows it. Very disappointed today.
Yes - he looked totaly disinterested y'day - it was his big chance to show everyone and gus in particular that he can play for us in the championship.
It looked very much to me as if he's already decided he's surplus to requirements and in some very small way I feel he has not been given a fair crack - being played out of position in midfield. Having said that what about Hoskins and Harley - 2 mistakes by Gus ????

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Send him on loan to L1/L2 club for the rest of the season, hope he comes back a better play. If he doesn't, then get him out quickish for a £300,000 and call it a decent profit.

Agree with the rest of your post, but not that. He's out of contract at the end of the season and I can't see a tribunal setting his fee anywhere near that. £3 would be nearer the mark I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here