Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Sorry folks but Barnes was woeful today and just didn't look interested. He was also very easily shackled by the defence of a Blue Sq Premier side. I really doubt whether he is up to what we need in the Championship although it pains me to say so. A major, major disappointment for me this season.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
duh.gif

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I always defend him, but not now. The likes of Barnes, Calderon, & Navarro (for his negativity and slowing down of counter attacks), are holding us back at the moment.

Conversely, the youngsters today (except Rodgers), were fantastic.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
It's easy to take the piss out of the opening poster, but to be fair he's right. Barnes was absolutely dreadful today, as he is almost every time he plays. People can bang on about "he's our top scorer" all they want. The fact is four of his seven goals have been penalties and the other three were all before September 10th. That's a long time ago now. He doesn't really ever threaten the goal, he's slow, he doesn't have any discernable skill and he's a bottler. I was sitting there today thinking that the Wrexham number 10 looked twice the player Barnes does, and he's a conference player. The usual suspects who stuck by dog shit like Tommy Fraser will continue to back Barnes, but the undeniable truth is that he's just not very good.

Hows he right he is comparing him to Paynter who scored 1 goal since 2010 whn he moved to Leeds, not sure how there even similar really.

Last edited:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It's easy to take the piss out of the opening poster, but to be fair he's right. Barnes was absolutely dreadful today, as he is almost every time he plays. People can bang on about "he's our top scorer" all they want. The fact is four of his seven goals have been penalties and the other three were all before September 10th. That's a long time ago now. He doesn't really ever threaten the goal, he's slow, he doesn't have any discernable skill and he's a bottler. I was sitting there today thinking that the Wrexham number 10 looked twice the player Barnes does, and he's a conference player. The usual suspects who stuck by dog shit like Tommy Fraser will continue to back Barnes, but the undeniable truth is that he's just not very good.

Agreed; and for what it's worth Toby Adgestein showed more in the short time that he was on than Barnes has done of late.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Cannot understand why the OP is getting so much shit! he's spot on - Barnes was dreadful again today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Barnes deserves all the criticism he'll get as a result of his performance today. Totally anonymous, never threatened and say what you like about his age, he hasn't performed to any standard in the last few months. His confidence is completely shot, but it might be because he's not as good as the other players in our team and he knows it. Very disappointed today.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Although this was against a (very good) Conf side we did put out half a team and perhaps we shouldn't be too harsh. Wasn't there by the way ... only listening

More generally I've got to believe what we're all witnessing is the diff between L1 and Championship. So it's reasonable to expect that some are simply not up to the game at a higher level ... I guess there are 4 or 5 of our regular squad that could easily be replaced but I guess we don't have the funds to replace virtually an entire team. Even our best would likely look very ordinary, maybe crap, in the Prem

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
From where I sat, he held the ball up, had the long range free kick just about saved by the keeper, one swerving shot that missed by inches. Wouldn't say he was great, but certainly not as dreadful as people are making out.

But no, NSC must have it's scapegoat....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here