Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I always defend him, but not now. The likes of Barnes, Calderon, & Navarro (for his negativity and slowing down of counter attacks), are holding us back at the moment.

Conversely, the youngsters today (except Rodgers), were fantastic.

Be fair, Calderon is playing his 1st match back from a knee op out of position and Navarro is a defensive midfielder. He will never be forward minded or forward thinking.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Agreed; and for what it's worth Toby Adgestein showed more in the short time that he was on than Barnes has done of late.

You're right. Adgastein's quality surprised me. I've watched him alot, including at non-first team games, and he's normally awful.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The problem for me is his complete lack of pace. This seriously holds him back from developing into a good player.

As a striker playing against a defence a few leagues lower, you have to be a bit of a threat surely. If your not then your true standard is around theirs.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Be fair, Calderon is playing his 1st match back from a knee op out of position and Navarro is a defensive midfielder. He will never be forward minded or forward thinking.

Calderon, and yes I follow the Albion all the time, has been poor all season ... long before the injury.
Was class last year. Championship is a world above.

Good midfielders now, if they don't have instinctive creativity, pass it in a micro second to those who do. Navarro doesn't do that.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
At least Barnes had one excellent effort from outside the box. Was only inches away from going in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Calderon, and yes I follow the Albion all the time, has been poor all season ... long before the injury.
Was class last year. Championship is a world above.

Good midfielders now, if they don't have instinctive creativity, pass it in a micro second to those who do. Navarro doesn't do that.

:thumbsup: Summer 2012 will give the truth, when players defended on here to the hilt (Dicker, Calderon & Painter), will say farewell.

TB & Gus needed a few transfer windows to get the squad up Championship standard, PACE and POWER. No room for sentiment.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've tried to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt up til now, but in a game where you'd hope that he'd be a beacon for the youngsters (yes, he's young himself but has considerably more experience than the DS lot) and he was horrendous - no interest and on a couple of times was petulant. The same can be said for Sparrow today, hardly noticed he was on the pitch at times. Thought Toby looked good when he came on - would have liked to have seen Gus play a front two with Toby and Barnes, they may have been able to help each other.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I thought barnes's problem today was he was isolated and not receiving much service. The other problem is the idiots in the crowd willing him to fail.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Like all of us I always want all Albion players to do well but Barnes is a most frustrating player. Due to lack of form and suspension his place in the team is not certain and I thought today he would be busting a gut to prove himself. Unfortunately he looked disinterested at most times and spent a good deal of time moaning at his team mates. Navarro , like Dicker, lacks pace and is easily pushed off the ball at the moment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I've tried to give Barnes the benefit of the doubt up til now, but in a game where you'd hope that he'd be a beacon for the youngsters (yes, he's young himself but has considerably more experience than the DS lot) and he was horrendous - no interest and on a couple of times was petulant. The same can be said for Sparrow today, hardly noticed he was on the pitch at times. Thought Toby looked good when he came on - would have liked to have seen Gus play a front two with Toby and Barnes, they may have been able to help each other.

I'm not one of the Barnes boo boys although I don't think he did well today but why drag Sparrow in to this?

Did you notice how he prevented Wrexham from scoring in the first half with a brilliantly timed last ditch tackle?

Only 5 days ago he hit 2 (and one a real screamer) against South-top-of-the-championship-ampton!

Players at any club don't perform to their max. every game, cut him some slack FFS

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I think many of you are being a bit unfair on Barnes. I agree he didn't have a great game but he didn't actually achieve much less than CMS has done in recent games. The difference is he doesn't run around like a headless chicken. His demenour gives the impression that he isn't up for it but maybe he just isn't as good as CMS at hiding that he is pissed off. We were a Championship side at home to a Conference team and we play with one up front. The crossing was crap and even when Agdestein came on we stuck with one up front and played him out of position at left wing.

Barnes has spent most of this season playing out of position as midfielder/winger. Let's play two up front - CMS + one other and then we might be able to fairly judge how good everyone is.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
At least Barnes had one excellent effort from outside the box. Was only inches away from going in.
You are having a laugh there catty. It was 3 foot from even making the keeper bother.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not one of the Barnes boo boys although I don't think he did well today but why drag Sparrow in to this?

Did you notice how he prevented Wrexham from scoring in the first half with a brilliantly timed last ditch tackle?

Only 5 days ago he hit 2 (and one a real screamer) against South-top-of-the-championship-ampton!

Players at any club don't perform to their max. every game, cut him some slack FFS

I'm fully aware that players can have good or bad games (trust me, i'm more patient than most when it comes to players) - perhaps i was just hoping that he would grab the midfield by the balls and impose himself. It was a great tackle in the 1st, i agree, but i still feel my point is valid.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
I thought barnes's problem today was he was isolated and not receiving much service. The other problem is the idiots in the crowd willing him to fail.

Have to agree with this. Bloke behind me (regular ST holder) moaned at everything he did today (good or bad). He is never going to have the work ethic of CMS (along with most strikers in the football league) but being so isolated, or playing out of position, certainly does not help him

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Have to agree with this. Bloke behind me (regular ST holder) moaned at everything he did today (good or bad). He is never going to have the work ethic of CMS (along with most strikers in the football league) but being so isolated, or playing out of position, certainly does not help him

I thought thats where he wanted to play?

Imnot agreat lover of having 1 up front, hence the isolation issue, but Barnes just doesnt have what it takes at Champ level.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Fair point question is GUS is that WHY Billy Paynter and NOT Toby?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here