Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Glad you aint my lawyer!! Case closed. I think its far from that.

I've been impressed this season with Barnes work rate, definately up on last year.

His 4 goals in 5 is an incrtedible return, but I bet most you have once again used his goals ratio haven't seen alll the games this season.

His first touch is still very poor, and for a team that knock the ball around as we do, thats not good.

He still goes down far to frequently and easily and he needs to stop that as soon as poss.

Less not kid ourselves though that Barnes would be in the team if it wasn't for Hoskins injury, and this new striker if he comes, is likely to be above Barnes in the pecking order, so if we end up with 4 fit strikers, I still see Barnes on the bench at best.

Now the goals. As I said 4 in 5 is great, but lets not get carried away. 2 have been pens. And be honest with yourselves, they have been very poor pens. If the keeper went the right way, both would be saved. The Gillingham one was hit at pace, but in a perfect position for a falling keeper, the Cardiff one looked stuffed and again perfect for a keeper going the right way. I would bet if the away team does there homework, the next pen, the keeper will stand tall and dive after its taken. You cannot get away from the fact the pens have been poor.

The goal against Blackpool was class. Well worked, arrived late, and the perfect goal. Full marks for that one.

What about the 35 yarder at Cardiff. Well good that he took the shot on, but how many of us, myself included, would have been very very diappointed if that had got past super Casper? It looked a great goal, but seriosuly a championship keeper should save them all day long. The keepers reaction afterwards said it all.

Time will tell, but has he done enough to convince this poster. Nowhere near, although I admit he is improving, he's still head and shoulders below the rest of the squad, and when the injuries clear up and new striker arrives and the dust settles, then we'll have a clearer picture.

Whether you agree or disagree, try and debate and not start with the patethic name calling, cause I'll deliver it back with interest.:D

Blimey, you really dont like him do you? Harsh comments in my eyes but hey, everyones entitled to an opinion. I still think hes doing a fantastic job, but there you go.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Two great penalties. If he could trap the ball and hold on to it for a fraction more, he will be good.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Surely one of the most meteoric rises in the football league? Generally thought of as absolute crap at a rapidly degenerating Plymouth Argyle, went on loan to us, got his move and from there he has got so much better. How much did we sign him for? £50k? Gus has done absolute wonders with him and I'm delighted he's scored a few goals this season. He isn't perfect and he is a little bit inconsistent but it's pretty clear to me that he has the ability to fashion a very successful career for himself, hopefully with us. Keep going Barnesy :clap:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Surely one of the most meteoric rises in the football league? Generally thought of as absolute crap at a rapidly degenerating Plymouth Argyle, went on loan to us, got his move and from there he has got so much better. How much did we sign him for? £50k? Gus has done absolute wonders with him and I'm delighted he's scored a few goals this season. He isn't perfect and he is a little bit inconsistent but it's pretty clear to me that he has the ability to fashion a very successful career for himself, hopefully with us. Keep going Barnesy :clap:
Somewhat better than push push tree! Good analysis, the lad has an impressive record for us and as you said 50k!!!!! Has to be one of Gus's major scoops along with Bridcutt

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dare I say that Barnes has improved tenfold thanks to his coaching here ? If so he's not alone but who cares ? As long as he keeps scoring then the rest of his game play is of little consequence bearing mind that he's a striker.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander

I agree. He seems quite disciplined this year. particularly as he has to push wide and swap wings which shows he is playing for the team.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Another cracking penalty tonight, then laid on the third for CMS. Top top man! :clap2:

Quality penalties and was there an assist to CMS, Gus adores him, even the anti-Barnes bitching by a determined minority on NSC has lessened lately.
I trust Gus on this.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
AB has improved massively over the close season, has input hugely more effort into his performance (though not particularly tonight as probably extremely tired after Wednesday) and I believe he is particularly happy now as as a new 'dad'

He has started this season extremely well and 'God' has he been scoring one or two (especially penalties)' which were something of a mare for us last season.

He is still very young and I believe he will get better and better - depends upon which role Gus uses him and has in mind for him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have only one criticism of Barnes - he shirks a tackle more often than not. Tonight I noticed it more than ever.

I can live with that one criticism though, all things considered, and especially all the while he keeps banging the goals in.

Keep up the good work Barnes :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here