Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
First time I saw Barnes this season against Rochdale I thought his movement was poor and he was easily outmuscled. Against Dons I thought he was much better, and he's got 10 goals already. So he's a bit hit and miss, so what, he's young and clearly not the finished article yet.

Writing Barnes off so easily just makes the original poster look a twat, but if thats what he wants to achieve then that's up to him.

Murray is immense at L1 level and Barnes is still very good! But as mentioned he's also young and will get better / most importantly more consistant.

I think he'd be a great squad player in the Champ in years to come or a very very good league 1 player. Sure Murray is better but Barnes is way better than anything else we have signed permanently upfront and will improve further. Wood is a similar example. Inconsistant / confidence player currently but shows you he will be good at this level and who knows about higher. We won't get legit Prem players playing in L1 even if we offered ridiculous wages so give the lad a chance.
That was my view earlier in teh season, that'll he'll improve. But if you watch his game carefully, he just hasn't got it, and maybe thats why PLymouth didn't seem to bothered in losing him.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but watch him carefully, what his movement, and reading of the game. These are things that come natural and at 21, and I firmly beleive if it can't do that now, he never will.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm sorry but has NOBODY noticed how easily Murray goes down? The only difference is that Muzza is a bit more savvy and wins free-kicks for it now.
Yep, I've noticed that. But Murray goes down under a challenge, so whether a foul or not, contacts made. Barnes goes down as he jumps out of the way of a challenge, and there is no way he'll get anything as refs suss him out very early, becuase hes so obvious with it. That tackle yesterday that nearly broke his leg, even though it was a fair tackle, if that had been Murray we probably would have got a free kick, and maybe even a card with that weak ref. But Barnes was already pulling out of it, so the ref couldn't give anything and rightly didn't. Although it was one of the few things the ref did get right

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yep, I've noticed that. But Murray goes down under a challenge, so whether a foul or not, contacts made. Barnes goes down as he jumps out of the way of a challenge, and there is no way he'll get anything as refs suss him out very early, becuase hes so obvious with it. That tackle yesterday that nearly broke his leg, even though it was a fair tackle, if that had been Murray we probably would have got a free kick, and maybe even a card with that weak ref. But Barnes was already pulling out of it, so the ref couldn't give anything and rightly didn't. Although it was one of the few things the ref did get right

You could also argue that Ian Wright came from non league and his career never really got going untiill much older.What about that Millwall striker? Morrison who came from non league and hes about 27.

Mind you Austin is the same age as Barnes and he looks a class apart. It's quite hard to tell at this stage.

I've also been watching him the games i've been to and haven't been impressed.He does get into good positions which is a good sign but his finishing is shocking.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its a tricky one. Barnes does seem to divide opinion.

For what its worth I would rather have him on the bench than in the starting line up. (Certainly wished he was on the pitch when we missed pens against Soton and Hudds tho!)

I still think Murray needs an experienced striker (in the Forster mould) to partner him. Definitely if we go up to the Championship.

Barnes isnt "the answer" but he is useful to have.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
That was my view earlier in teh season, that'll he'll improve. But if you watch his game carefully, he just hasn't got it, and maybe thats why PLymouth didn't seem to bothered in losing him.

I really hope he proves me wrong, but watch him carefully, what his movement, and reading of the game. These are things that come natural and at 21, and I firmly beleive if it can't do that now, he never will.

Its his movement and reading of the game that gets him so many chances at goal though. It's not just a coincidence that the ball happens to fall at his feet in and around the box so often. He gets into great positions, he reads the game well, he links up very well with Murray, he runs into the channels well and he can even stick in a half decent cross. If there is an area of his game he needs to work on more than anything its his finishing, and the older and wiser he gets, and the more practice he puts in, the more composed he will become infront of goal.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Its his movement and reading of the game that gets him so many chances at goal though. It's not just a coincidence that the ball happens to fall at his feet in and around the box so often. He gets into great positions, he reads the game well, he links up very well with Murray, he runs into the channels well and he can even stick in a half decent cross. If there is an area of his game he needs to work on more than anything its his finishing, and the older and wiser he gets, and the more practice he puts in, the more composed he will become infront of goal.
Look at that everyone. Someone that doesn't agree at all with a thread comment, but can write a sensible reply without using the word twat or ****. And newbie too! That's what a discussion board is for. To discuss things. I dont agree though, I don't think its his movement that get his chances, and I do think its because a lot of the time he arrives late for whatever reason, and I don't think its by design. I off to find some videos of his goals.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Its a tricky one. Barnes does seem to divide opinion.

For what its worth I would rather have him on the bench than in the starting line up. (Certainly wished he was on the pitch when we missed pens against Soton and Hudds tho!)

I still think Murray needs an experienced striker (in the Forster mould) to partner him. Definitely if we go up to the Championship.

Barnes isnt "the answer" but he is useful to have.
I think we'll definatey go up if Murray stays... and plays. He is the key, and without that key I can't see us getting out of this division. I think Murray and his agent know that, and that's why they won't discuss contracts until the end of the season, as Murrays value will only go up if we stay at the top end of the league. My worry is someone coming in with an offer too good to turn down, considering he'll likely go for nothing at the end of the season, and if we have to relay on Barnes leading the line, we aint going up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think we'll definatey go up if Murray stays... and plays. He is the key, and without that key I can't see us getting out of this division. I think Murray and his agent know that, and that's why they won't discuss contracts until the end of the season, as Murrays value will only go up if we stay at the top end of the league. My worry is someone coming in with an offer too good to turn down, considering he'll likely go for nothing at the end of the season, and if we have to relay on Barnes leading the line, we aint going up.

I'm not sure I agree with the club letting him go now. As shown elsewhere, the financial benefit of promotion is £3-4million if we are in the Championship next season. The most we could expect for Murray if sold in January is to get our £300k back, and then presumably some/all of that would have to be spent on a replacement, who may not be as good.

It would therefore make sense to keep Muzza regardless of signing a contract.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

If we can hold off till the end of Jan then I reckon thats the best answer so far.

Im sure Murray (and his agent) are seeing where will will kick off next season. It all hinges on a number of factors such as who we sign to partner him, if Gus actually wants him (we dont have anyone better at the moment but Gus may have earmarked someone else at the end of the season), what division we are in - so what wages we will pay etc etc.

Plus if Murray does go in the summer we have the summer to sign replacements.

But good enough to be international quality!!!!

International career
Despite being born in Bath to English parents, Barnes qualifies to represent Austria courtesy of his grandmother on his father's side, who was born in the country.[16] He was spotted by Austrian officials while on a pre-season tour with Plymouth Argyle in July 2008, and as a result he was called up to their Under-20 team to face Switzerland in August 2008.[17]

but also
Barnes was loaned out for a third time in November 2008 to Eastbourne Borough,

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But good enough to be international quality!!!!

International career
Despite being born in Bath to English parents, Barnes qualifies to represent Austria courtesy of his grandmother on his father's side, who was born in the country.[16] He was spotted by Austrian officials while on a pre-season tour with Plymouth Argyle in July 2008, and as a result he was called up to their Under-20 team to face Switzerland in August 2008.[17]

but also
Barnes was loaned out for a third time in November 2008 to Eastbourne Borough,
MMM. Austria Under 20s? I wonder where the other members of that squad are playing now? I seem to recall reading on another forum a few years ago, a county div 3 side, not even senior football, had a former african international playing for them, and he couldnt get in the team, so playing international football doesn't nessercary mean quaility.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm not sure I agree with the club letting him go now. As shown elsewhere, the financial benefit of promotion is £3-4million if we are in the Championship next season. The most we could expect for Murray if sold in January is to get our £300k back, and then presumably some/all of that would have to be spent on a replacement, who may not be as good.

Completly agree with you there. Murray should have been signed up last season, but the fact its been left so late, if people beleive everything Poyer says, then he was waiting for Glen to prove he was a 20 goal striker before giving him a new contract.

Murray, or likely his agent as said we'll sit tight until the end of the season, and see whats on offer. I think as long as we match teh best deal hes offered he'll stay, but it never should have been allowed to get to this.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know Gus has guided us to the top of the table, but I just wish he would admit to making the odd mistake now and then.This may be sacrilege but he comes over as a little bit arrogant and stubborn....fine traits in a football manager, some may say.However,he is not perfect and still insists he was right to drop Murray for Barnes against Bournemouth...well if we had won maybe,but we didn't and Gus's views that Wood and Barnes did well except they didn't score,just about sums it up for me.
Yup,I know I am only a fan and am not privy to all that goes on inside the club,but as a fan it looks like Gus is winding Murray up and if I was Murray I may well not sign that contract!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the moment it appears that we will have Murray for the rest of this season at least , as Gus says he isnt looking to sign anybody. I noticed that Mr Burns original suggestion as to who we were going to sign, still hasnt joined another club yet, despite speciulation about him joining clubs.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I know Gus has guided us to the top of the table, but I just wish he would admit to making the odd mistake now and then.This may be sacrilege but he comes over as a little bit arrogant and stubborn....fine traits in a football manager, some may say.However,he is not perfect and still insists he was right to drop Murray for Barnes against Bournemouth...well if we had won maybe,but we didn't and Gus's views that Wood and Barnes did well except they didn't score,just about sums it up for me.
Yup,I know I am only a fan and am not privy to all that goes on inside the club,but as a fan it looks like Gus is winding Murray up and if I was Murray I may well not sign that contract!

Yet Murray has been described by fellow players as being the happiest he has been at Brighton, this season under Gus? I'm sure that hints at a better man-management than a lot of opinion on here would suggest..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here