Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Completly agree with you there. Murray should have been signed up last season, but the fact its been left so late, if people beleive everything Poyer says, then he was waiting for Glen to prove he was a 20 goal striker before giving him a new contract.

Murray, or likely his agent as said we'll sit tight until the end of the season, and see whats on offer. I think as long as we match teh best deal hes offered he'll stay, but it never should have been allowed to get to this.

From body language and general apparent happiness, I very much doubt Murray would have signed a contract if he were offered it before now. The ball is in his court.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Barnes isnt the be all and end all and hes probably not championship class either, but Jesus hes a good squad player, great sub to have on the bench, has scored some good goals and i dont agree he shirks out of challenges, did you see his efforts against peterboro away, christ he was getting stuck in good and proper, thats why their player kicked him and got sent off.

His goals he scores arent mainly luck either, his headers can be great, hes not tip top class and we all know we need another striker to come in long term but doesnt deserve the original post`s slagging off, its unnecessary, over the top, largely inaccurate and definitely unfair.

He`s the sort of player that needs help and encouragement too which Gus has given him, not your job thankfully.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
sparrow said murray is the happiest his been since he has been at the club ?all i can say is he must have been a right pain in the ass before

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yet Murray has been described by fellow players as being the happiest he has been at Brighton, this season under Gus? I'm sure that hints at a better man-management than a lot of opinion on here would suggest..

I hope you are right,but to an outsider it just seems that Murray is singled out ....rather like a naughty but clever boy in the clasroom.

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
According to what I have heard Gus likes Barnes, all managers have their favourites? I thnk Saturday showed Barnes and Wood cannot win balls in the air and it was'nt till Murray etc came on did we start to play. Ashley Barnes does need to toughen up, age is not an excuse look at Lua Lua. Also, AB has missed a lot of chances this season. I would have taken him off instead of Noone, once he was gone we had no width.
I think Murray is our Berbatov.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes isnt the be all and end all and hes probably not championship class either, but Jesus hes a good squad player, great sub to have on the bench, has scored some good goals and i dont agree he shirks out of challenges, did you see his efforts against peterboro away, christ he was getting stuck in good and proper, thats why their player kicked him and got sent off.

His goals he scores arent mainly luck either, his headers can be great, hes not tip top class and we all know we need another striker to come in long term but doesnt deserve the original post`s slagging off, its unnecessary, over the top, largely inaccurate and definitely unfair.
He`s the sort of player that needs help and encouragement too which Gus has given him, not your job thankfully.

Agree with all this.

(less the bit about Peterborough, seeing's how McCann was sent off for kicking BENNETT...)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If Murray was to leave before the end of the transfer window i'll doubt we would even make the play-offs because we haven't got another striker who can hold up the ball like him

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Today Barnes goal against a CHAMPIONSHIP side earned the Albion £90,000 in prize money for the 4th round.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Whilst he is far from being the finish article, I'm not sure what Mr Burns wants from a 21 year old striker, his stats are relatively impressive.

League - 22 (11) Apps - 13 Goals

Cup - 6 Apps - 2 goals

I make that 15 goals in 28 starts.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whilst he is far from being the finish article, I'm not sure what Mr Burns wants from a 21 year old striker, his stats are relatively impressive.

League - 22 (11) Apps - 13 Goals

Cup - 6 Apps - 2 goals

I make that 15 goals in 28 starts.

Did you not see the first post? You're not allowed to use stats.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did you not see the first post? You're not allowed to use stats.

Quite right. I have re-read the post and realise that goals/stats/win records mean nothing. Our second/third striker is not good enough for us, despite scoring over 1 in 2 starts and us being top of the league and in the 5th round of the FA cup.

Stats and numbers puzzle some people. There are 10 types of person in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Today , Ashley Barnes showed more aggression and showed why he a must start with the marvellous Glenn Murray

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Wasn't too shabby today, was he? Okay, it was a scuffed shot and the keeper fumbled it, but you've got to hit the target to score and that he did, and he was a constant menace to the Watford defence. And as for the comment about Gus, not still feeling sore that your Mr Coppell didn't come are you Mr Burns?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yet another game where Barnes proves how RUBBISH he is
Are you fuckinbg being serious? A shot when in space, that went straight at the keeper? Have a look at the goal and then me that was a shot from a class player.

I joked with my mate today, that some cock will bounce this thread, even though it was a shit shot and very very lucky goal. And we have a winner

The difference is I judge a player on what I see over time, not on the back of one game. If you want to judge Ashley Barnes on todays goal, then I think its sums up my point nicely.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here