Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What nobody has answered yet is who are these mythical strikers who would have scored hundreds of goals for us this season. Would they have cost the same as Barnes or are we talking about Premier League players?
Whats the point in that argument? Because we haven't got that striker, does that mean Barnes is good enough for us? Granted he may be 3rd best of what we have, but we are hardly blessed with strikers. Because hes one of the better ones out of a bad crop, hardly means good enough

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't see how number two is really a contradiction, he has simply revised his opinion of him. And you have made the first point about 4 times over the last 8 pages, we get it.

El Presidente does like to repeat himself, even though he fully knows the answer to what he is typing. Makes him feel important.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whats the point in that argument? Because we haven't got that striker, does that mean Barnes is good enough for us? Granted he may be 3rd best of what we have, but we are hardly blessed with strikers. Because hes one of the better ones out of a bad crop, hardly means good enough

Good enough for what though? You have never answered this question.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Fair enough, a reasonable league 1 standard player signed for a reasonable league 1 club, so therefore presumably he is good enough for that team?
I said average. So an average league one player, in a far aboce average league one side...... so you are in agreement then, that hes not up to standard???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I'd imagine the point is that if we're saying his missing of a chance means he's not good enough, then if there are no strikers we could get who would score that chance, it becomes an irrelevance. If no one we can get would score the chance, it's not fair to use it against Barnes, is it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I said average. So an average league one player, in a far aboce average league one side...... so you are in agreement then, that hes not up to standard???

The four previous seasons we finished 18th, 7th, 16th and 13th, which suggests that when he signed we were an average league one team.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You of course have plenty to say
And there you go again, for the umpthempt time, reffering back to the first quote because you have f*** all else to say, even though we have discussed this exact point between us in this very thread over and over and over again, up until the last time when you seemed to accept it, but hay ho you need to be heard when you have absolutly f*** ALL to say.

Now either come up with something new and valid, or #### off and leave the discussion open to those who still want to discuss it by taking the thread forward, instead of going fishing with the same old bait over and over again..... f*** :YAWN:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The four previous seasons we finished 18th, 7th, 16th and 13th, which suggests that when he signed we were an average league one team.
So cool, it is average then and not reasonable as you have tried to change it too.

But were we still an average league one side in January when I started the thread. Mmmmmm I'll have to check me programme........ :tosser:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'd imagine the point is that if we're saying his missing of a chance means he's not good enough, then if there are no strikers we could get who would score that chance, it becomes an irrelevance. If no one we can get would score the chance, it's not fair to use it against Barnes, is it?
??? ??? ??? Strange point. Because we cant get better, still doesnt mean hes good enough. Maybe Poyet should stop trying to bring in more strikers, as it wouldn't be fair to Barnes??? ???

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't see how number two is really a contradiction, he has simply revised his opinion of him. And you have made the first point about 4 times over the last 8 pages, we get it.
Thats just El PResidentes use of words. He like to change them to suit himself, but if you follow wha he says you can pick up lots of these.

He's knows full well I revised my opinion, but doesn't help his argument to say that. You get used to twats like that on here. (he'll use my use of the word twat, or a spelling error to forward his argument next.)

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
42 pages about people's opinion of 1 player. Some people like him. Some people don't. Now let it go!!!!
Could be suggested that more dont :lol: :lol:
Murray 7.40
ELphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Bridcutt 6.97
El Abd 6.93
Kishishev 6.80
Greer 6.77
Painter 6.70
Dicker 6.58
Noone 6.52
Ankergren6.51
Calderon 6.40
Wood 6.35
Barnes 6.34
Sparrow 6.04

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
This thread is boring now chaps, think we all have a good idea of who likes & dislikes barnes now

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Could be suggested that more dont :lol: :lol:
Murray 7.40
ELphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Bridcutt 6.97
El Abd 6.93
Kishishev 6.80
Greer 6.77
Painter 6.70
Dicker 6.58
Noone 6.52
Ankergren6.51
Calderon 6.40
Wood 6.35
Barnes 6.34
Sparrow 6.04

As I pointed out a few pages back, those are a little outdated. As of Friday (giving everyone a chance to contribute to yesterday's ratings thread):

7.50 Murray (41 appearances)
7.25 Brezovan (1 app)
7.23 Lualua (11 apps)
7.20 El Abd (36 apps)
7.14 Bridcutt (33 apps)
7.07 Bennett (43 apps)
6.92 Kishishev (31 apps)
6.92 Elphick (24 apps)
6.92 Noone (19 apps)
6.82 Greer (29 apps)
6.81 Painter (43 apps)
6.74 Baz (7 apps)
6.74 Taricco (4 apps)
6.73 Ankergren (42 apps)
6.62 Dicker (43 apps)
6.58 Dunk (4 apps)
6.57 Calderon (40 apps)
6.51 Smith (8 apps)
6.43 Barnes (38 apps)
6.26 Wood (26 apps)
6.24 Sparrow (24 apps)
5.89 Battipiedi (8 apps)
5.84 Sandaza (15 apps)
5.75 Navarro (3 apps)
5.62 Holroyd (3 apps)
5.50 Hart (2 apps)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So cool, it is average then and not reasonable as you have tried to change it too.

But were we still an average league one side in January when I started the thread. Mmmmmm I'll have to check me programme........ :tosser:

No, but perhaps Barnes' 19 goals this season is a contributory factor to why we were not mid-table?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm confused? How can he not be good enough for us, when he could get 20 goals this season (start of the season people were wetting themselves that we hadn't signed the golden "20 goal striker" and now we potentially have 2) and we have exceeded both the expectations of our own fans and everyone elses fans by being promoted as champions with Barnes a regular in our team? Hasn't he scored roughly the same amount of goals as Lambert this season?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
With one game left in the season, here are the top five scorers in League One

Top five scorers

Mackail-Smith Peterborough 26
Murray Brighton 22
Wright-Phillips Charlton 21
Lambert Southampton 19
Barnes Brighton 17

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
And to Mr Burns- surely your whole point of why he isn't good enough for us is because he's a "bottler". What the f*** does that matter? He keeps getting into good positions and his finishing will only improve with regular play and age. But if you want to see his technique, look at the goal vs Bristol Rovers away, when he trapped the ball in the box, shifted and hit it beautifully with his left foot. He's a good, honest, hard-working YOUNG centreforward, who will take Gus's advice onboard (as he has this season) and continually improve as a player. What he has done this season has been fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here