Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And there you go again, for the umpthempt time, reffering back to the first quote because you have f*** all else to say, even though we have discussed this exact point between us in this very thread over and over and over again, up until the last time when you seemed to accept it, but hay ho you need to be heard when you have absolutly f*** ALL to say.

Now either come up with something new and valid, or #### off and leave the discussion open to those who still want to discuss it by taking the thread forward, instead of going fishing with the same old bait over and over again..... f*** :YAWN:

Tell you what, I gave a few quid to REMF last week, you match it, and we'll both agree to never post on this thread again.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't seem him being a starting player next season but he has come on an awful lot this season so credit where credit is due.

Not sure anyone can complain about someone who has nearly notched 20 times...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
No, but perhaps Barnes' 19 goals this season is a contributory factor to why we were not mid-table?
And thats the best you can come up with after what I put above!!!!!

So you don't keep repeating points that have already been directly answered to you, because you have f*** all to say??

I'm surpirsed you even bothered to answer in this thread again, instead of your normal trick of ignoring it when backed into a corner, only to repeat the same points that you can't answer when the thread is bounced again.

WANKER!! Whilst I'm happy to and will continue to post in this thread all the time people who are not even at the game to watch him BOUNCE it, you El Pres have proved you are a complete waste of space, and dare I say it a bully in your debating. You change things to suit you as you have proved this morning, and can never respond when you are pulled up on things.

You have proved this morning(1st May), that once again you are a complete waste of space and time, and are not worthy of any response by anyone on this thread, or board, and I can't be bothered to respond to anything you say and I'll think I'll just cut and paste this to everyone of your repsonses, becuase you aint worth the effort.

How the f*** you are a mod on this board is a complete mystery.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Tell you what, I gave a few quid to REMF last week, you match it, and we'll both agree to never post on this thread again.
Well as this was posted before my last one I'll answer it.

Bollocks! Don't use REMF to help you back out of your argument. Why should I stop posting because you are a prat thats backed into a corner again...?? See you can't even answer that post, without trying to worm out of it.

Although I never used the term coward to describe Ashley Barnes despite you trying to convince everyone for 20 pages that I did (and seemly excepted that I didn't earlier in the thread(see your use of twisting or changing words again)), I think the term could be easily applied to someones level of debating in this thread!! :tosser:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
When losing a debate, respond with personal abuse.
Personal abuse?? Why, because I've had a go at someone who twists things people say when he clearly already knows what he is saying is taken out of context. There is only so many times you can pull the same person up for the same thing before you have enough of it!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
And to Mr Burns- surely your whole point of why he isn't good enough for us is because he's a "bottler". What the f*** does that matter?
Err, my whole point?? That's not my whole point though is it?? Was that the POT KETTLE BLACK quote???
a. give me chance to answer it before posting that shit
b. you haven't made a valid point worthy of a response, because simply thats not my whole point as you suggest??

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Go on then. Tell me why?

If I missed something please point it out. All the things you can accuse me of, not answering peoples posts isn't one of them. If you made a point that I never answered point me to it.......

Okay...

My first post on this matter, page 4.

First, stats are often used in debates as they allow one to support one's argument. Otherwise you end up with a pure flurry of opinion, especially when qualitative examples also are not provided. Which is fine- but not great for putting forward a strong argument.

Elsewhere in this thread you comment that he would have 30 goals by now if he had the "bollocks" you frequently mention. You seem to be forgetting that he is a squad player, a striker we bought for 50k, plying his trade for a tight-budget league one side. Who would you buy, for 50k, who would do a better job than he for this club? As the figures are exceptionally important- we'd all like a top quality striker, but for some reason they prefer the prestige and money of higher leagues.

I must also make it clear that strengthening him isn't necessarily the way to go.. It is ONE way of dealing with centre backs, but so is higher pace and experience within the game- experience that at 19 he is still learning. All in all, a poor argument and pop at a player who has significantly contributed to our season thus far.

3/10 as they go..

My second post on this matter when you didn't reply to it.. Page 6

Thank you for quoting me. Some people like using stats, others prefer qualitative evidence- as I pointed out in the quoted post. Thank you for backing up your argument, gives you more credence..

Could you now address the other points raised in my post? As these are my main queries with your argument. Many thanks

And my third post (just to show that you weren't replying).. Page 9

Could say the same to you sir, certainly were very selective about parts of my post to reply to.. But then I am also a student, and thus clearly must also know nothing about football either..

I got bored of the thread from then on. From your point later on on this page, your issues with Barnes have developed from simply lacking bollocks then?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't seem him being a starting player next season but he has come on an awful lot this season so credit where credit is due.

Not sure anyone can complain about someone who has nearly notched 20 times...
Well to be fair he hasn't really been a starting player most of this year (apart from Feb when we played three up top).
e been
And its not a complaint, its a discussion. And as I said before, judging by Gus' attempts to sign a striker (ie Hoskins) that would suggest Barnes would have ben pushed further down the pecking order in league one, so its good to see that Gus seems to be able to see beyond 20 goals, as maybe if he was a 30 goals plus striker, as a better than average leagie one player should be in this current Brighton side, we may have won the last couple of games he started in.

But that goes to suggust as he is in a top top top league one side, he can get away with it with many people as they just see the amount of goals he scored, whereas if he was playing in a mid table side, his return would be in single figures as he is an average player.

Put an average striker in an average side, you'll get an average return.

Put an average striker in a side that domainats the league as we have done, you'll get an above average return, as Barnes has got. As I said pages ago, if he was any good, he'd have been pushing or beating Wardys record considering the teams hes playing in.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am by no means Barnes' biggest fan and think we can do better. I would be disappointed if he was starting in our first game next season.

I also don't think people should be guided solely by the number of goals someone scores. Chris Wood is clearly a bit shit, but has scored 10 (I think). If you play up front for a team which creates as much as we do, you will score. Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.

BUT to dismiss Barnes out of hand is not fair. Regardless of the chances he has missed he HAS scored nearly 20 goals and these HAVE helped us to where we are. He deserves his place in the squad next season.

I think a lot of his progress has come as a direct result of Poyet noticing Barnes' perhaps lack of appetite for the physical side of things and choosing to use him more on the right or left of a forward three - taking him away from the centre backs and giving him more space to operate in.

So is Barnes brilliant because of the goals he has scored? No. But he isn't terrible either.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Your still not backing down, after his 19 goals this season at the age of 21, and when one of the best managers we've had has faith in him. Ridiculous.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Okay...

My first post on this matter, page 4.

My second post on this matter when you didn't reply to it.. Page 6

And my third post (just to show that you weren't replying).. Page 9

I got bored of the thread from then on. From your point later on on this page, your issues with Barnes have developed from simply lacking bollocks then?
But your whole point is about the comment about whether he has the "bollocks" and if you've read this thread you will have seen it answered, and the fact is its not simply about whether he has the bollocks as your posts imply. Is just one part of why I don't think hes good enough, abeit it imo an important part.

I cant see the fact that we only spent 50k on him has any point. If we spent 50k or 50 million, I don't think hes good enough for this current squad. So asking me who I would buy, doesnt really have any thing to do this this thread. I've said as I'm sure you have seen, hes probably 3rd out of a bad crop of strikers.... still doesn't automatically make him good enough.

So maybe I didnt reply to you, because I didnt see much of a relavant point to reply to.

If I missed anything, please ask me again. I'm honoured to pass my opinions onto you :lol: and I'm sorry if it concened you that I may have missed you out in the past :lol:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Well to be fair he hasn't really been a starting player most of this year (apart from Feb when we played three up top).
e been
And its not a complaint, its a discussion. And as I said before, judging by Gus' attempts to sign a striker (ie Hoskins) that would suggest Barnes would have ben pushed further down the pecking order in league one, so its good to see that Gus seems to be able to see beyond 20 goals, as maybe if he was a 30 goals plus striker, as a better than average leagie one player should be in this current Brighton side, we may have won the last couple of games he started in.

But that goes to suggust as he is in a top top top league one side, he can get away with it with many people as they just see the amount of goals he scored, whereas if he was playing in a mid table side, his return would be in single figures as he is an average player.

Put an average striker in an average side, you'll get an average return.

Put an average striker in a side that domainats the league as we have done, you'll get an above average return, as Barnes has got. As I said pages ago, if he was any good, he'd have been pushing or beating Wardys record considering the teams hes playing in.

By that logic Murray is shit too, considering he's played more than Barnes...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
That's just ridiculous. Most of your opening post was devoted to his 'lack of bottle'. You even used the word 'cowardly'. Sake! :rolleyes:
Yer, and we've discussed this on this very thread haven't we, and I think I've explained that one to my friend El Pres as he too like to use this example..... :rolleyes:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Although I never used the term coward to describe Ashley Barnes

You described him as cowardly, if you use a dictionary (and I appreciate that would be a first) your will find that cowardly is defined as 'someone exhibiting the characteristics of a coward'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here