Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
It's clear from all the above comments that a proven penalty taking striker would be a welcome addition for next season

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Is the correct answer, does anyone have Matt Le Tissier's number? He was the MAN when it came to pens.

Unfortunately not but I have David Unsworth's.......

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Barnes was excellent yesterday, my man of the match after Painter, and maybe Bridcutt. Huddersfield couldn't handle his movement, and he consistently gets into brilliant positions. 19 goals in his first full season is a phenomenal effort.

Hopefully next year we will have Barnes and Murray up top, along with an experienced goal-scorer and one other. Exciting times!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's not an opinion to disagree with, it's a fact. Like Bennett is our number one corner taker, Caldy takes throw-ins on the right, and Paitertakes them on the left, Barnes is our number one penalty taker, despite his last miss. (And Wood has missed a penalty, too).

Why would you change your penalty taker when for the first time this season we had scored two in a row, for someone who had previously missed their last spot kick and it wasn't his first miss of the campaign.

Wood's only unsuccessful attempt came away at Southampton and in fairness to him that was a well hit and directed penalty, the keeper made a superb save. Wood looks a far more accomplished penalty taker than anyone else in the side including Barnes.

Poyet has said we don't have a number one penalty taker, as it has been our achilles heal this season. Our corner taker is Bennett as that has proved to be successful. We don't have a number 1 penalty taker, but common sense between the players should dictate that Wood should be on our spot kicks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Glenn Murray scored 5 goals in 46 games for Carlisle, so they are not dissimilar according to your assessment then?

He has missed some good opportunities/had some goal bound shots saved by great goalkeeping, not too dissimilar to Barnes...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
CMS?? I can but dream........

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why would you change your penalty taker when for the first time this season we had scored two in a row, for someone who had previously missed their last spot kick and it wasn't his first miss of the campaign.

Wood's only unsuccessful attempt came away at Southampton and in fairness to him that was a well hit and directed penalty, the keeper made a superb save. Wood looks a far more accomplished penalty taker than anyone else in the side including Barnes.

Poyet has said we don't have a number one penalty taker, as it has been our achilles heal this season. Our corner taker is Bennett as that has proved to be successful. We don't have a number 1 penalty taker, but common sense between the players should dictate that Wood should be on our spot kicks.

It's not the first time. Barnes scored two in a row (peterborough, exeter), which made him first choice. (Any time he is on the pitch for a penalty he has taken it - except v fc united), contradicting gus's comments (which I seem to remember coming either before barnes ha established himself, or while Barnes was out of the starting line up).

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's not the first time. Barnes scored two in a row (peterborough, exeter), which made him first choice. (Any time he is on the pitch for a penalty he has taken it - except v fc united), contradicting gus's comments (which I seem to remember coming either before barnes ha established himself, or while Barnes was out of the starting line up).

Penalty records (from memory)
Wood scored 4 missed 1
Barnes scored 3 missed 2 including yesterdays.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mr Burns contradicts himself so much I get confused:

1: He says don't use statistics to judge Barnes.....................but then uses statistics to back up his argument.
2: He says Barnes is not good enough for us and is only conference standard, when we are a mid/lower league 1 team based on the last few years, he then revises his opinion to say that Barnes is league 1 standard, but still not good enough for us.
We've had this discussion time and time again, and time and time again you get backed into a corner only to repeat the same old line on a bounce, because you clearly need to be heard, but have nothing to say. Don't need to answer your points, as I already many times before. Now come up with something new, or stop bouncing the thread!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It's funny how you choose to quote certain parts of people's comments (and I stand by what I said your comments seem to be more like someone who has a personal vendetta against Barnes than rational criticism) but ignore the rest of the post which actually had a valid point.
Sorry couldn't see any valid new points. Just thought I'd mention you do like bringing out the personal vendetta line, even though its been answer numerous times on this thread..... oh look, you even bring it up again.... and again.....ad agai..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Penalty records (from memory)
Wood scored 4 missed 1
Barnes scored 3 missed 2 including yesterdays.

I think 'missed' does a disservice to the keepers who saved. You've also deliberately ignored the fact Barnes followed up the save yesterday with a goal. Whatever, it doesn't matter, when Barnes is on the pitch and we are awarded a penalty he takes it. That makes him the first choice penalty taker regardless of his record.

If we base it on records Sparrow has taken one penalty, scored one penalty. Baz has taken one, scored one, are they first choice? No, first choice is the person who is the player who is always the first offered the penalty when he is playing: Barnes. (after establishing himself as $number one penalty there is only one penalty we got that he did't take, v FC united, and that is because he turned it down as he didn't feel it that day, but it was his job to turn down first).

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We've had this discussion time and time again, and time and time again you get backed into a corner only to repeat the same old line on a bounce, because you clearly need to be heard, but have nothing to say. Don't need to answer your points, as I already many times before. Now come up with something new, or stop bouncing the thread!

You of course have plenty to say

Embarrassing. Shame he didn't have a breakdown. The blokes a complete and utter TWAT. Got a video of the end of the game, and all you can hear is this complete f***ing twat squeaking the same shit over and over again. They'r,e not listening to you you prick, just f***ing shut up. Now all the scenes recorded by all the channels will have this twat drowning everything else out, but maybe thats why he did it, hes loves the sound of his own f***ing voice.

And to tell everyone there was no lap of honour, was f***ing bang out of order, and I like no doubt many others missed it because of this prick.

Simple, don't listen to a word the cock says again. He's a f***ing embarrasment. About time they got a proper PR bloke who does talk through his nose. He's worn his mouth out, from having all the arse licking he does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here