Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's funny how you choose to quote certain parts of people's comments (and I stand by what I said your comments seem to be more like someone who has a personal vendetta against Barnes than rational criticism) but ignore the rest of the post which actually had a valid point.

Mr Burns contradicts himself so much I get confused:

1: He says don't use statistics to judge Barnes.....................but then uses statistics to back up his argument.
2: He says Barnes is not good enough for us and is only conference standard, when we are a mid/lower league 1 team based on the last few years, he then revises his opinion to say that Barnes is league 1 standard, but still not good enough for us.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

1: He says don't use statistics to judge Barnes.....................but then uses statistics to back up his argument.
2: He says Barnes is not good enough for us and is only conference standard, when we are a mid/lower league 1 team based on the last few years, he then revises his opinion to say that Barnes is league 1 standard, but still not good enough for us.

That's a sign he is improving surely! If he has gone from Conference standard in January to League 1 standard now, he will be playing in the Champions League in a year's time.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
To be honest, I'd agree that he is about an average League One standard at the moment. But he is still young and looks like the sort of player who has a lot of potential, and I think he will develop into a decent Championship striker within the next few years.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'm not a huge Barnes fan, but thought he played quite well yesterday He played with some intelligence by dropping deep at the right times to link the midfield to attack.

He missed a great chance just after Town scored, looked like he took a heavy touch, which allowed the goalkeeper to smoother his shot. A couple of other chances hit the side netting and he missed his penalty scoring on the rebound. I also believe he put a personal milestone (20 goals) ahead of the teams requirements as Wood should of taken the penalty as he had scored his last two attempts. Fortunately he nodded in the rebound, but I would of been angry if we had of spurned that opportunity.

Time will tell if Barnes is good enough for us. I would say currently he is our weakest member of the starting XI which considering his goal scoring record indicates we have strength across the rest of the pitch. I can see him being a useful sub for us going forward, but his lack of strength and poise in front of goal will show up more at Championship level where we will not carve teams open so regularly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm not a huge Barnes fan, but thought he played quite well yesterday He played with some intelligence by dropping deep at the right times to link the midfield to attack.

He missed a great chance just after Town scored, looked like he took a heavy touch, which allowed the goalkeeper to smoother his shot. A couple of other chances hit the side netting and he missed his penalty scoring on the rebound. I also believe he put a personal milestone (20 goals) ahead of the teams requirements as Wood should of taken the penalty as he had scored his last two attempts. Fortunately he nodded in the rebound, but I would of been angry if we had of spurned that opportunity.

Time will tell if Barnes is good enough for us. I would say currently he is our weakest member of the starting XI which considering his goal scoring record indicates we have strength across the rest of the pitch. I can see him being a useful sub for us going forward, but his lack of strength and poise in front of goal will show up more at Championship level where we will not carve teams open so regularly.

That seems a fair, well balanced and objective assessment.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I don't see how number two is really a contradiction, he has simply revised his opinion of him. And you have made the first point about 4 times over the last 8 pages, we get it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I also believe he put a personal milestone (20 goals) ahead of the teams requirements as Wood should of taken the penalty as he had scored his last two attempts.

Early season, after Bennett and Murray missed penalties, Barnes showed an ability to actually score them and he became our penalty taker. Wood has only ever taken penalties when Barnes isn't on the pitch. This wasn't about Barnes putting his target first, it was about Barnes being our number one penalty taker.

Woods pens:
Bristol Rovers home (Barnes had been replaced by Murray)
Southampton away (Barnes had been replaced by Murray)
Tranmere home (Barnes was on the bench, replaced Wood 20mins after he scored the penalty)
Rochdale away (Barnes was not in the squad)
Sheff Wed home (Barnes was on the bench, replaced Wood 20mins after he scored the penalty)

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Barnes has great touch, young, learning fast, and has game intelligence. He is brave and tenacious against tough defenders.

He shouldn't be on the bus out with Sandaza, Wood & Co.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I fully prepared to admit some of what I said, or more like how I said it may have been over the top,

My opinion of him now, after watching him very closely since January, is that he is a average league one striker,

judging him along side the team, then I think he is the weakest player and not up to the high standard set but the rest of the team.

Fire away:p:p

I think these three quotes are enough to put this thread to bed. A lot of the negative reaction has been down to the wildly over the top language Mr Burns used in his opening post.

As for point two, surely that is a clear an admission that he got it wrong ? If he now accepts that Barnes is an average league one striker then he has to admit that he got the following wrong:

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes... he is out of his depth...

The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years.

So, that to me suggests that Mr Burns a) knows that he got it wrong in terms of Barnes's ability and has admitted as such, and b) that his criticisms were stated in an excessive and overblown way. The thread can die now, surely?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't see how number two is really a contradiction, he has simply revised his opinion of him. And you have made the first point about 4 times over the last 8 pages, we get it.

Fair enough, a reasonable league 1 standard player signed for a reasonable league 1 club, so therefore presumably he is good enough for that team?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So, that to me suggests that Mr Burns a) knows that he got it wrong in terms of Barnes's ability and has admitted as such, and b) that his criticisms were stated in an excessive and overblown way. The thread can die now, surely?

You'd think so, but the same old retards who don't actually read it just keep on bouncing it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Fair enough, a reasonable league 1 standard player signed for a reasonable league 1 club, so therefore presumably he is good enough for that team?

So Holroyd was good enough for us? Dixon was good enough for us? I don't quite see your logic here.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Early season, after Bennett and Murray missed penalties, Barnes showed an ability to actually score them and he became our penalty taker. Wood has only ever taken penalties when Barnes isn't on the pitch. This wasn't about Barnes putting his target first, it was about Barnes being our number one penalty taker.

Woods pens:
Bristol Rovers home (Barnes had been replaced by Murray)
Southampton away (Barnes had been replaced by Murray)
Tranmere home (Barnes was on the bench, replaced Wood 20mins after he scored the penalty)
Rochdale away (Barnes was not in the squad)
Sheff Wed home (Barnes was on the bench, replaced Wood 20mins after he scored the penalty)

Disagree - Barnes missed his last penalty away at Brentford. Wood's record since then is 2 from 2 against Rochdale & Sheff Wed's. So in my opinion Wood is our number 1 penalty taker. Wood went to grab the ball, but Barnes overruled him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Disagree - Barnes missed his last penalty away at Brentford. Wood's record since then is 2 from 2 against Rochdale & Sheff Wed's. So in my opinion Wood is our number 1 penalty taker. Wood went to grab the ball, but Barnes overruled him.

It's not an opinion to disagree with, it's a fact. Like Bennett is our number one corner taker, Caldy takes throw-ins on the right, and Paitertakes them on the left, Barnes is our number one penalty taker, despite his last miss. (And Wood has missed a penalty, too).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here