Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It all about opinions, and opinion on Barnes overall is still very split, judging by what you hear in the crowds.

Whilst this debate will probably draw to a close as Gus brings in 2 or 3 new strikers for the championship next season, but I still stand by my opinion on him. I fully prepared to admit some of what I said, or more like how I said it may have been over the top, but I still do not think he is good enough, despite 18 goals. Put some of the other league one strikers in his shoes, then Wardys record of 36 goals would have long gone. Never before, and probably not again for years, has the team been so dominant that we could attempt blood a young striker like we have with Barnes.

My opinion of him now, after watching him very closely since January, is that he is a average league one striker, who has just happened to be lucky to be in such a strong side. That my opinion, and I stand by it. If some want to [unt me off, then fine, many probably will, picking one comment out of the post and ignoring the rest, and maybe one or two will be up for a sensible debate, although judging by the comments on this thread, it'll more than likely to be only one or two:love:

Sure some will see 18 goals, and not see beyond that. 18 goals in a season would normally be a great achivement, but although I think its okay, its definately not brilliant in this current side. Ask yourself a question, how many would he have scored in other league one sides. He struggled to play for Plymouth, and he probably is third best of what we have, but other than Murray we are not exactly blessed with strikers.

It was obvious this thread would be bounced because he scroed today, but 90% of that goal was down to the sheer class of Bennetts cross. Barnes wasn't picked up, he reacted to the cross and finished well. It was well taken granted, but he didn't make a run or move until the ball was in flight.

As a lot would have this game on sky I am tempted to highlight what I thought of his performance today point by point, not from what I saw purely on the tellybox, but from seeing it at the ground, and it wasn't impresive if you look closely at it. He wasted a good few chances (which is what he has been doing in most games), and right from the beginning when he ballonned that cross into the crowd, (which you can easily forgive him for), the run he made along side Bennett was poor. He stayed in line with Bennett instead of getting up with the last defender, so instead of Bennett being able to slide him clean through, the ball Bennet played was always going to force him wide. So instead of a clean cut chance of going one nil up, nothing come of it, but he finished of a great move in the second half and got a goal, so everyone thinks super, what a player, 18 goals he must be great, but I'm sorry, in my opinion hes not.

So why he may be the best, well 3rd best judging by Gus' team selections since Christmas we have, I still don't think he's good enough, when compared to the rest of the squad. Of all the 1st team regulars, I still see has by far the weakest link.

So to sum up, you could argue against my inital point that he IS good enough for this side as we've gone up and he's got 18 goals and arguably you could have had an even weaker striker playing, and still created enough chances for him to score enough to get us up, but judging him along side the team, then I think he is the weakest player and not up to the high standard set but the rest of the team.

Fire away:p:p

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I have to disagree on todays performance, having been at the match as well. I thought he was the best player for us after Nooney, put some good passes together, made lots of runs and combined well with our midfielders, generally causing their defense some problems. Yes, he missed chances, but so does every striker.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It all about opinions, and opinion on Barnes overall is still very split, judging by what you hear in the crowds.

Whilst this debate will probably draw to a close as Gus brings in 2 or 3 new strikers for the championship next season, but I still stand by my opinion on him. I fully prepared to admit some of what I said, or more like how I said it may have been over the top, but I still do not think he is good enough, despite 18 goals. Put some of the other league one strikers in his shoes, then Wardys record of 36 goals would have long gone. Never before, and probably not again for years, has the team been so dominant that we could attempt blood a young striker like we have with Barnes.

My opinion of him now, after watching him very closely since January, is that he is a average league one striker, who has just happened to be lucky to be in such a strong side. That my opinion, and I stand by it. If some want to [unt me off, then fine, many probably will, picking one comment out of the post and ignoring the rest, and maybe one or two will be up for a sensible debate, although judging by the comments on this thread, it'll more than likely to be only one or two:love:

Sure some will see 18 goals, and not see beyond that. 18 goals in a season would normally be a great achivement, but although I think its okay, its definately not brilliant in this current side. Ask yourself a question, how many would he have scored in other league one sides. He struggled to play for Plymouth, and he probably is third best of what we have, but other than Murray we are not exactly blessed with strikers.

It was obvious this thread would be bounced because he scroed today, but 90% of that goal was down to the sheer class of Bennetts cross. Barnes wasn't picked up, he reacted to the cross and finished well. It was well taken granted, but he didn't make a run or move until the ball was in flight.

As a lot would have this game on sky I am tempted to highlight what I thought of his performance today point by point, not from what I saw purely on the tellybox, but from seeing it at the ground, and it wasn't impresive if you look closely at it. He wasted a good few chances (which is what he has been doing in most games), and right from the beginning when he ballonned that cross into the crowd, (which you can easily forgive him for), the run he made along side Bennett was poor. He stayed in line with Bennett instead of getting up with the last defender, so instead of Bennett being able to slide him clean through, the ball Bennet played was always going to force him wide. So instead of a clean cut chance of going one nil up, nothing come of it, but he finished of a great move in the second half and got a goal, so everyone thinks super, what a player, 18 goals he must be great, but I'm sorry, in my opinion hes not.

So why he may be the best, well 3rd best judging by Gus' team selections since Christmas we have, I still don't think he's good enough, when compared to the rest of the squad. Of all the 1st team regulars, I still see has by far the weakest link.

So to sum up, you could argue against my inital point that he IS good enough for this side as we've gone up and he's got 18 goals and arguably you could have had an even weaker striker playing, and still created enough chances for him to score enough to get us up, but judging him along side the team, then I think he is the weakest player and not up to the high standard set but the rest of the team.

Congratulations Ashley, a 21 year old striker scoring 18 (with power to add) at a rate of 1 in 2 is a fantastic achievement in any team. He must now be in the £500k bracket for potential buyers.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

I disagree wholeheartedly with you however respect you for beliefs and the fact after he has spent a whole season proving you wrong you still have them.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
18 goals in effectively his first season of football at the age of 21.....come on...which ever way you look at it thats a bloody good effort.

This lad is only going to get better so to say hes only ever a L1 player is ridiculous, we may well bring in a couple of strikers for next season, who knows, but i for one am bloody delighted in Barnes's performances and goals and much improved play over the season, on top of that he has spent long periods out of the side, my guess is he would have maybe more than Murray had he played as many games......

He has a bright future in my opinion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

OK, first of all, define what you mean by 'Good Enough'. As far as I am concerned we are a team who finished 16th and 13th in the last two seasons. Barnes' brief would presumably be to

(a) Get a regular place in the team/bench, and
(b) Score a goal or two to help us improve on the previous two seasons

Barnes was signed for £60,000 from Plymouth reserves, the same amount we paid for Chris Holroyd, and Craig Davies, and a fifth of what we paid for Liam Dickinson. In that regard I think he is good for us this season, as he has repaid Gus' faith in him.

IMO 18 goals for a £60k gamble is an excellent return, you seem reluctant to accept this, but as you say, it is about opinions.

As for why is this thread constantly bounced, is it because of your initial rather unpleasant comments about Barnes' personality. You have said that calling someone 'cowardly', but that does not mean that you think he is a coward. This is being weasel like Mr B, look up the definition of cowardly, and it is.............'displaying the characteristics of a coward', and for me it is the character assassination, as much as the comments on his football ability, that I find unpleasant. although given your unwarranted abuse of Paul Samrah (for which you apologised, although noticeably this was after by you were banned by another mod) it is perhaps a trait that you seem to revel in.

Is Ashley Barnes going to make a significant contribution to the Albion next year in the Championship? I honestly don't know, but am more than happy to leave it to Gus to make that judgement.

I thought Barnes led the line pretty well today at Colchester, certainly looked sharper than Wood, and having seen Sandaza on a number of occasions this season would play Ash ahead of him too.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
THis is sort of interesting quote from another thread, I've just tidied the order up and remove those who have only made a few apparances. (unless of course I'm being set upand have just walked into a trap.

But whilst some on here can see no further than 18 goals, (and judging on the last few replies this seems to be the case) those 18 goals dont seem to have gone to far with the majority of NSCs who like to rate the players:p: So maybe its not just me:ohmy:

The current average (league) match NSC rating for players:

Murray 7.40
ELphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Bridcutt 6.97
El Abd 6.93
Kishishev 6.80
Greer 6.77
Painter 6.70
Dicker 6.58
Noone 6.52
Ankergren6.51
Calderon 6.40
Wood 6.35
Barnes 6.34
Sparrow 6.04

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
MK Dons & Yeovil (both away) Barnes was most definitely off colour.

But so were the whole team though.

Stats can show anything!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
THis is sort of interesting quote from another thread, I've just tidied the order up and remove those who have only made a few apparances. (unless of course I'm being set upand have just walked into a trap.

But whilst some on here can see no further than 18 goals, (and judging on the last few replies this seems to be the case) those 18 goals dont seem to have gone to far with the majority of NSCs who like to rate the players:p: So maybe its not just me:ohmy:

Murray 7.40
ELphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Bridcutt 6.97
El Abd 6.93
Kishishev 6.80
Greer 6.77
Painter 6.70
Dicker 6.58
Noone 6.52
Ankergren6.51
Calderon 6.40
Wood 6.35
Barnes 6.34
Sparrow 6.04

You've got them beat there!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So maybe its not just me:ohmy:

I think it is probably just you and your good friend with the 250 mile vision Hustpierpoint (sic) Seagull, who maintain that Barnes is 'not up to wearing the stripes' and is a coward.

FWIW I think we need a new striker next season, but it is THIS season that we are currently in, and THIS season Barnes is certainly up to the standard required.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You've got them beat there!

What exactly do you mean by that?

There are three strikers on the list, one of whom is universally accepted to be our best striker (Murray) and the other two are as good as each other. So get your X Ray specs on again and start seeing what is happening at Prenton Park from your living room.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I think it is probably just you and your good friend with the 250 mile vision Hustpierpoint (sic) Seagull, who maintain that Barnes is 'not up to wearing the stripes' and is a coward.

FWIW I think we need a new striker next season, but it is THIS season that we are currently in, and THIS season Barnes is certainly up to the standard required.

And where have I said he is not up to wearing the stripes or a coward? I have simply pointed out that some of Mr Burn's points were valid, he is lightweight, but clearly I mistook this for a thread with serious discussion of a player's attributes.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Murray 7.40
ELphick 7.03
Bennett 6.99
Bridcutt 6.97
El Abd 6.93
Kishishev 6.80
Greer 6.77
Painter 6.70
Dicker 6.58
Noone 6.52
Ankergren6.51
Calderon 6.40
Wood 6.35
Barnes 6.34
Sparrow 6.04

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What exactly do you mean by that?

There are three strikers on the list, one of whom is universally accepted to be our best striker (Murray) and the other two are as good as each other. So get your X Ray specs on again and start seeing what is happening at Prenton Park from your living room.

I think the point being made is that over the course of the season, people have rated Barnes as the second worst player of the regular starters?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
And where have I said he is not up to wearing the stripes or a coward? I have simply pointed out that some of Mr Burn's points were valid, he is lightweight, but clearly I mistook this for a thread with serious discussion of a player's attributes.

I think you lost credibility in relation to a serious discussion of a player's attributes when you asserted that your ten year old could have put away two chances at Tranmere despite not being at the match or seeing the chances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here