Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes can hear the murmurings of disquiet from the crowd!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
It seemed like a very large portion of the crowd at points against Ipswich. I'm up in WSU and about a third of the people around me were hurling obscenities at him for the crime of making his first mistake about 35 minutes into the game.

This x1000. It's becoming a bit of a joke up there regarding Ashley Barnes, seriously have to bite my tongue at times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll never forget the wankers in the East Terrace at The Goldstone who used to go off at Tony Towner.
Our most talented local lad at the time, and very useful on the wing - tricky and capable of telling crosses as well as an occasional shot.
But the East was the moaning section, bunch of tossers who prided themselves in the cutting remark against our own players :tosser:

fair bit of moaning used to be in the west as well

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well if he stopped giving the ball away the groaning wouldn't happen, it happens any time a player gives the ball away needlessly, it's just he does it more than most, that is why it's more noticeable.

:jester:

problem is its a bit one sided..on mistake and certain peeps are on his back..this doesn't happen to other players...but as has been said so many times a football crowd likes to hav one player to moan about ..i don't think anything is going to change on that score

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In the upper west tier against Ipswich some bloke behind me stood up and shouted " f*** off barnes your shit" then he drilled in his first goal. Then a few more murmurings then he scored his second.
Seemed to go silent after that :)
Top man Ashley, keep the idiots quiet.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

same game in east...guy shouting at barnes to get on a players back...i just shouted back at him to get off barnes back

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
People just want someone they can blame everything on.. If Barnes played as bad as Buckley did in the Doncaster game we wouldn't hear the end of it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
problem is its a bit one sided..on mistake and certain peeps are on his back..this doesn't happen to other players...but as has been said so many times a football crowd likes to hav one player to moan about ..i don't think anything is going to change on that score

Spot on. I always find it incredible how say Barnes or Harley can make one mistake and you can here everyone moaning, yet someone like Bridcutt, will make exactly the same mistake and there isn't even a murmur. I remember pointing it out to a mate away at Watford earlier in the season. Harley got muscled off the ball and lost it, cries all around me of how shit he is. 5 minutes later, an identical situation happens with Bridcutt and not one person picked up on it. The fact of the matter is, once a person decides a player isn't good, they'll notice and comment on every single imperfection.

Anyway, nice to see a thread containg a lot of praise for Barnes. He and Navarro have been fantastic for us this past two months, two months which have seen us become much more clinical in front of goal and much tighter at the back! Attack and defence deconstructed: Championship Experimental 3-6-1

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just one question.

There seems to be some (well, more than one) who spend time shouting grief / abusing our players. My question is - what can be gained by abusing our own players, in this instance with 'f*** OFF BARNES, YOUR (sic) SHIT...'? Aside from fulfilling the original protagonist's innate desire for attention-seeking, that is.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just one question.

There seems to be some (well, more than one) who spend time shouting grief / abusing our players. My question is - what can be gained by abusing our own players, in this instance with 'f*** OFF BARNES, YOUR (sic) SHIT...'? Aside from fulfilling the original protagonist's innate desire for attention-seeking, that is.

Both your posts are correct.

It can blight a players progress and therefore the teams.

It seems that one or two players are singled out and there seems to be a real fervent desire for those players to make mistakes to fuel those fans view and so it goes on.

Meanwhile the team suffers and this again fuels the abuse, those fans then feel that their view is vindicated by another Albion loss due to that player.

Bizarre really.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ashley for England ! Ashley who ? No, Ashley Barnes ! (Don't let the Austrians pinch the future!)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Charlie Livesey had a song (and if he scored) you could walk for a ......

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I just hope the idot who sits behind me in WSL shuts the F up with his Barnes bashing tonight. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Hopefully the two goals Barnes scored against Ipswich may have shut him up but I doubt it.

I really can't understand why some fans choose to constantly slate certain players. I had a similar situation at Withdean with a guy who had it in for El Abd. Constant moaning. In the end I did tell him to shut it but I hate having to do it.

Last edited:

Just one question.

If NSC is a decent percentage of Albion attendees, there must be several GUILTY PARTIES here on this site who let off steam (or whatever they think they are doing) at our players. It would be interesting if those twa.... people!... would have the bottle to let on who they are.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I just hope the idot he sits behind me in WSL shuts the F up with his Barnes bashing tonight. It's really starting to get on my nerves. Hopefully the two goals Barnes scored against Ipswich may have shut him up but I doubt it.

I really can't understand why some fans choose to constantly slate certain players. I had a similar situation at Withdean with a guy who had it in for El Abd. Constant moaning. In the end I did tell him to shut it but I hate having to do it.
If happens tonight, tell him to shut up but enjoy it

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In the upper west tier against Ipswich some bloke behind me stood up and shouted " f*** off barnes your shit" then he drilled in his first goal. Then a few more murmurings then he scored his second.
Seemed to go silent after that :)
Top man Ashley, keep the idiots quiet.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.
Do you sit in Block F per chance? Sounds like the goons near me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm up in WSU and about a third of the people around me were hurling obscenities at him for the crime of making his first mistake about 35 minutes into the game.

This. A couple of numpties near me were screaming - just before he scored - 'Get him off Gus, that's two mistakes he's made now...'

I sit in the WSL and honest to God, with the exception of me, my mum and my dad, the rows in from of me do nothing but berate Barnes throughout the game.

In the upper west tier against Ipswich some bloke behind me stood up and shouted " f*** off barnes your shit"

I'm really glad I'm not in the West stand. Sounds like its full of right twats.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Love Barnesy, and I am sickened by some of the shit he gets from the moronic "I pay £30 so I'll be as much of a c*nt as I like" mob (since when did paying money allow you to behave like an @rse?). Same goes for the "He earns X amount of money, so he should be able to put up with it." What difference does that make?

Keep it Barnesy - the vast majority of us are behind you!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Ash is going to have to grow a thicker skin and console himself with the facts that:
a) Gus rates him and really that's all that matters
b) the clueless fuckwitts who slag him off at the game are a minority of people even among those who don't rate him, and a tiny minority of us overall.

Personally I think he's a great player for us, he can take a penalty and is increasingly deadly with his chances.

Agreed entirely however it is abundantly clear that when given the chance in his more natural position of centre forward that his overall game improves.

Application, work rate and determination never in question but the bloke simply isn't a left sided midfielder. He snaffled those two chances expertly but both came through direct penalty box play.

Can't wait for tonight's game for him to carry on where he left off against Ipswich.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Anyway, nice to see a thread containg a lot of praise for Barnes. He haS been fantastic for us this past two months,]

Therein lies the Ashley Barnes debate because in my opinion, and that of everyone around me in the North, Barnes has been toilet for ages and does not deserve a place in the team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here