Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes can hear the murmurings of disquiet from the crowd!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Ash may not be our best player but he works his bollocks off for the team and always tries 100%.I have, and always will, back ANY player who pulls on a Brighton shirt for every second they are on the pitch.Booing,slagging off your own players is totally wrong on every level.Go Ashley,score a hat-trick tonight to shut the fuckwits up!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
b) the clueless fuckwitts who slag him off at the game are a minority of people even among those who don't rate him, and a tiny minority of us overall.

It seemed like a very large portion of the crowd at points against Ipswich. I'm up in WSU and about a third of the people around me were hurling obscenities at him for the crime of making his first mistake about 35 minutes into the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Never had a real problem with him. But he does sail close to the wind when the red mist descends and he starts gobbimg off at the officials and also one or two erm, "challenges". I still maintain he was VERY lucky to still be on the pitch against ipswich to score.

And I still maintain that that's a f***ing stupid thing to say seeing as he didn't even get a yellow, and again by your logic Nicky Forster would've never completed a single football match in his entire playing career.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It seemed like a very large portion of the crowd at points against Ipswich. I'm up in WSU and about a third of the people around me were hurling obscenities at him for the crime of making his first mistake about 35 minutes into the game.

This. A couple of numpties near me were screaming - just before he scored - 'Get him off Gus, that's two mistakes he's made now...'

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Well if he stopped giving the ball away the groaning wouldn't happen, it happens any time a player gives the ball away needlessly, it's just he does it more than most, that is why it's more noticeable.

:jester:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It seems to me that the clueless amongst our support fail to see that his job is to win the ball in midfield and link the midfield with the forwards. Naturally therefore, he is going to misplace passes because of the position in the field he occupies and because he doesn't have as much time to think as our back 4 have, or Navarro just in front of them, or even Bridcutt in his holding role. If his pass completion rate was anything like those doing defensive duties, he'd be playing in the Champions League.

Some of these tools have clearly never played the game before.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I sit in the WSL and honest to God, with the exception of me, my mum and my dad, the rows in from of me do nothing but berate Barnes throughout the game. Its irrelevant how he plays or what he does, they just don't rate him and it gets just silly.

Everytime he touches the ball its either "PASS why didn't he shoot?!" or "SHOOT - My God, why did he shoot!" its just so moronic!

As I said before, I told the whole lot of them to "F*ck off" after Barnes scored the decisive second against Ipswich! And yet, two goals scored is not enough!

They keep asking every game why CMS or Vokes come off when "Barnes is having a shocker" whilst casually ignoring the tracking back, tackling, winning of free-kicks, defensive headers, relief of pressure on the defence, chasing and harrying throughout the match. It seems that because he plays wide and isn't a lightning wing-wizard like Lua Lua, Buckley or Noone, he's considered rubbish.

Me? I love him.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I LOVE Barnes. Such a good prospect and can't believe he's ours. Sure there's areas of his game that he'd look to improve but that's true of any of our players. The lad has got real nouse and intelligence. I love a player like that.

Keep up the quite frankly stirling work Ashley!

I've taken people (Albion fans) to task about their abuse of our own players, and reminded them that it doesn't help the cause and does more for the other side (which it does, opposing managers love when the crowd get on the backs of their own players).

The wake-up reminder has sunk in with some moaners, but you'll get many who will claim they paid their money and have a right to say what they want. I would only talk to them if they'd used bad language, but I think some of the silent fans could be surprised by the number of others on their side, and in disdain at the loud-mouthed whingers who make their presences felt in a negative way.

"support the team" might be a way to put it, and if they are gobbing off with abuse then ask them to cut the language and make a complaint if they don't.

I'll never forget the wankers in the East Terrace at The Goldstone who used to go off at Tony Towner.
Our most talented local lad at the time, and very useful on the wing - tricky and capable of telling crosses as well as an occasional shot.
But the East was the moaning section, bunch of tossers who prided themselves in the cutting remark against our own players :tosser:

Zawn Kellys

Feb 14, 2012
I saw my first Albion game in 1972, and it seems to me that some sections of the crowd always need a player (one of ours!) to moan about. It seems to be catching and has not much to do with how he is playing. Sadly its Barnes' turn. Personally, I think he is a great player.

Brighton1

Jun 10, 2004
Newhaven
Ash is going to have to grow a thicker skin and console himself with the facts that:
a) Gus rates him and really that's all that matters
b) the clueless fuckwitts who slag him off at the game are a minority of people even among those who don't rate him, and a tiny minority of us overall.

Personally I think he's a great player for us, he can take a penalty and is increasingly deadly with his chances.
I'm sorry I disagree with you, he could be a great player but isn't yet. I don't like "slagging" any of our players off! People who do are not necassarily "clueless fuckwitts" everyone is entitled to their own opinion...If you think he holds the ball up well/doesn't lose the ball more often than any other player and wins the ball in the air (all things you would expect from a striker) then you must be watching a different player to me. He knows where the net is, I wouldn't take that away from him, but I would like to see him be much stronger on the ball and stop the defenders nicking it off him far too often which puts us back under pressure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll never forget the wankers in the East Terrace at The Goldstone who used to go off at Tony Towner.
Our most talented local lad at the time, and very useful on the wing - tricky and capable of telling crosses as well as an occasional shot.
But the East was the moaning section, bunch of tossers who prided themselves in the cutting remark against our own players :tosser:

You can add Gerry Ryan, Gerry Fell and Dean Wilkins to the list of players abused from the East with such cutting wit as " I paid a fiver to stand and watch the game Wendy, did they charge you the same?"

D

Deleted User X18H

Brighton & Hove Albion: Barnes looking forward to promotion push.
By Tim Hodges.

Ashley Barnes has told Brighton and Hove news that he is looking forward to every fixture the Seagulls have remaining, in this seasons Championship.

He thinks it will be a great achievement if the Albion are involved in the end of season shake up, and he is relishing the prospect of a final push up the table.

Barnes admitted he can occasionally hear murmurs of disquiet from the Amex crowd. But was delighted with his goals against Ipswich, commenting, that he can score goals when not playing so well, but may not get on the score sheet when having a stormer.

The Albion striker does admit to having a regular glance at the League table just to see where the Albion are positioned. He thinks there are about nine clubs at the moment, who can be involved right up to the end of the season.

Barnes also commented that this Wednesday evening may be a good time to play Cardiff, when their recent exertions against strong opposition are considered.

Additional comments powered by BackType
Twitter

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
agree with you but have no time for the 'thicker skin' arguement. Players are affected by crowds, positively & negatively. Always have been. There was an excellent article by David James, highlighting this, discussed on here recently - it's not as if the picking on Ash is a one off is it? Supporters make a difference, so please let's all try & make a positive one - the clue's in the name

Totally agree with supporters making a difference, especially as we have reached such a crucial stage of the season. I think some people just have it in for Barnes, he is held to a higher standard than any other in the team. As regards the thicker skin comment, I think some of the criticism is so wide of the mark, he really should just ignore it. He knows what he does for this team, as do his teammates and more importantly does his manager.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm sorry I disagree with you, he could be a great player but isn't yet. I don't like "slagging" any of our players off! People who do are not necassarily "clueless fuckwitts" everyone is entitled to their own opinion...
I should clarify that IMO the clueless fuckwitts are the ones shouting "GET BARNES OFF HE'S f***ing SHIT" within his earshot every time OUR 22 YEAR OLD player makes a small mistake, not the ones who simply hold an opinion that differs from mine and don't rate him.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I saw my first Albion game in 1972, and it seems to me that some sections of the crowd always need a player (one of ours!) to moan about. It seems to be catching and has not much to do with how he is playing. Sadly its Barnes' turn. Personally, I think he is a great player.
Agree. There always needs to be at least "one" - and the most common position for this seems to be midfield (often wide rather than central)... there have been one or two strikers targetted irrationally (Teddy Maybank springs to mind) but not defenders that I can think of...

I like the comment above about how these idiots obviously don't understand the meaning of the simple word "support".

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And I still maintain that that's a f***ing stupid thing to say seeing as he didn't even get a yellow, and again by your logic Nicky Forster would've never completed a single football match in his entire playing career.

He was lucky END OF.

Those around me said the SAME. This is not sniping or the odd comment like Forster but CONSTANT even when Ipswich were having a corner and then HE STILL got in the refs face for a decision he didnt get. Lucky not to walk or a booking. Put it this way I f***ing would have.

AND LEFT HIS FOOT IN AT A CHALLENGE AT THE CENTRE CIRCLE HE WAS LUCKY THE REF/OFFICIALS DIDNT SEE IT AS HE WOULD HAVE WALKED.

Like I say LUCKY.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
In the upper west tier against Ipswich some bloke behind me stood up and shouted " f*** off barnes your shit" then he drilled in his first goal. Then a few more murmurings then he scored his second.
Seemed to go silent after that :)
Top man Ashley, keep the idiots quiet.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

I'm sorry I disagree with you, he could be a great player but isn't yet. I don't like "slagging" any of our players off! People who do are not necassarily "clueless fuckwitts" everyone is entitled to their own opinion...If you think he holds the ball up well/doesn't lose the ball more often than any other player and wins the ball in the air (all things you would expect from a striker) then you must be watching a different player to me. He knows where the net is, I wouldn't take that away from him, but I would like to see him be much stronger on the ball and stop the defenders nicking it off him far too often which puts us back under pressure.

We can always hope to have 'the perfect player' with everything, capable of consistently turning it on for every match.
Since Barnesy kinda proves that he's got as good a claim at the moment as anyone - we really can't ask for much more than that can we?

Would you suggest we drop him and play someone else? I'm certain that 'someone else' will fall short in some department.
I am happy to see that CMS snaffles some chances in the 6-yard box too, and some will fault him for not being a Messi every week and scarpering into the area to bamboozle 4 defenders and make fun of the keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here