Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes can hear the murmurings of disquiet from the crowd!

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Maybe time now to get behind the lad as much as possible.

Top lad he is. Really passionate about the game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ash is going to have to grow a thicker skin and console himself with the facts that:
a) Gus rates him and really that's all that matters
b) the clueless fuckwitts who slag him off at the game are a minority of people even among those who don't rate him, and a tiny minority of us overall.

Personally I think he's a great player for us, he can take a penalty and is increasingly deadly with his chances.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
A win tonight and we move into a play off spot.....What is there to moan about FFS?

Slagging off our own player so much that the lad can hear it is an utter disgrace!

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Classic example the other day... Think it was the first half of the Ipswich game. Ashley Barnes cleared 3 succesive corners/crosses and then we made a quick counter attack which resulted in CMS drilling the ball into an empty penalty box. Then everyone around me starts slagging Barnes off for not being in the box!!! FFS the bloke isn't Usain Bolt... he's just defended perfectly and 6/7 seconds later you are crucifying him for not being in the box? Grow up and learn about football. Ashley does a great job for the team. Poyet rates him, and even if i didn't, that would be enough for me.

If you read this Ash:

Keep it up!

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
how about a few renditions of "singing Aye Aye Ashley Ashley Barnes, singing Aye Aye Ashley Ashley Barnes, singing Aye Aye Ashley, Aye Aye Ashley Barnes" tonight???

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Never had a real problem with him. But he does sail close to the wind when the red mist descends and he starts gobbimg off at the officials and also one or two erm, "challenges". I still maintain he was VERY lucky to still be on the pitch against ipswich to score.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ash is going to have to grow a thicker skin and console himself with the facts that:
a) Gus rates him and really that's all that matters
b) the clueless fuckwitts who slag him off at the game are a minority of people even among those who don't rate him, and a tiny minority of us overall.

Personally I think he's a great player for us, he can take a penalty and is increasingly deadly with his chances.

Maybe. However... EVERY player is affected, in varying degrees, by praise or criticism. Or abuse.

If you take going to the matches as a marker, all he hears from his point of view is grief. He gets more grief for doing something wrong than all of the rest of the team put together. Does anyone actually applaud him when he does something right?

Sadly, to some, that's too cool for school, and an unpalatable scenario.

Unbelievably, there are still some people who think he's shit. No, really.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Maybe. However... EVERY player is affected, in varying degrees, by praise or criticism. Or abuse.

If you take going to the matches as a marker, all he hears from his point of view is grief. He gets more grief for doing something wrong than all of the rest of the team put together. Does anyone actually applaud him when he does something right?

Sadly, to some, that's too cool for school, and an unpalatable scenario.

Unbelievably, there are still some people who think he's shit. No, really.
if he's shit, Gus is a really, really stupid.manager. If the moaning starts toniight, let's have a word please

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Maybe time now to get behind the lad as much as possible.

Top lad he is. Really passionate about the game.

Not often I get to agree with HB&B, but this is absolutely spot on. I think Ashley is a terrific player and I cannot believe the stick he gets on here. Although as Simster points out he should grow a thicker skin and ignore it, as long as he has Gus's confidence he'll be alright.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've never rated him as an out and out striker - he seems to miss clear chances quite a lot - but the stats don't lie and these days he offers so much more to the team from a position that isn't his favoured role. It's impressive how well he has adapted and grown as a player

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ignore 'em Ash, you are having a great season and are this season's El Abd in terms of improved player :thumbsup:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Not often I get to agree with HB&B, but this is absolutely spot on. I think Ashley is a terrific player and I cannot believe the stick he gets on here. Although as Simster points out he should grow a thicker skin and ignore it, as long as he has Gus's confidence he'll be alright.
agree with you but have no time for the 'thicker skin' arguement. Players are affected by crowds, positively & negatively. Always have been. There was an excellent article by David James, highlighting this, discussed on here recently - it's not as if the picking on Ash is a one off is it? Supporters make a difference, so please let's all try & make a positive one - the clue's in the name

D

Deleted User X18H

He praised the crowd when talking with JC (which is worth listening to later) and seemed so proud of his achievements with the Albion when I asked him about his Ipswich goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here