Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can’t say that about the seam attack today. They battled very hard. Typical Robinson.
It’s a fair call on our batters though :(
Broad obviously should have played but I don’t think that would change the result.
We have an Inferior team and for whatever reason they’re not prepared at all

I didn’t see a huge amount to be fair. However the Aussies were able to leave a lot of balls, and honestly it’s not often you can say the bowlers have done really well with the other team 186-2 on that pitch.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
England managed to get a draw from this sort of position at Brisbane a few years back.

Mind you that was with Cook, Strauss and Trott as the top 3. ... I think I've spotted a problem.

I was at that game. >500 - 1 in the second innings, can’t see Rory and the boys getting even half that this time.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I didn’t see a huge amount to be fair. However the Aussies were able to leave a lot of balls, and honestly it’s not often you can say the bowlers have done really well with the other team 186-2 on that pitch.

I’m not saying they did particularly well, just that they didn’t back away from the challenge. not from the intermittent half hours I saw anyway.
The batters on the otherhand did fit your “not the face” description though.
Whatever the case we’ve been outclassed. I’m sure you and I agree on that!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’m not saying they did particularly well, just that they didn’t back away from the challenge. not from the intermittent half hours I saw anyway.
The batters on the otherhand did fit your “not the face” description though.
Whatever the case we’ve been outclassed. I’m sure you and I agree on that!

Yep, agree. The Burns drop in the slips summed up our top order. Chance for a least a bit of redemption and drops a dolly. Instead of mental strength, he's still down from his duck.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Aussies can now play Twenty20 cricket in their remaining first innings, smashing everything in sight and hope to get above 400 by lunch tomorrow.

Still wouldn't even be half way through the test and that includes losing a session to rain!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Aussies can now play Twenty20 cricket in their remaining first innings, smashing everything in sight and hope to get above 400 by lunch tomorrow.

Still wouldn't even be half way through the test and that includes losing a session to rain!
I suspect they will actually do the opposite. Unless we take an early wicket, they will just wear us down and end up scoring in excess of 450. From that point there is obviously only one winner, so if I was the England selectors I'd only be looking for some backbone from our top order. That means batting attritionally and making the bowlers work for their wickets. If they can do that, then at least it's something positive to take to Adelaide along with our seamers bowling reasonably well in long spells yesterday.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I suspect they will actually do the opposite. Unless we take an early wicket, they will just wear us down and end up scoring in excess of 450. From that point there is obviously only one winner, so if I was the England selectors I'd only be looking for some backbone from our top order. That means batting attritionally and making the bowlers work for their wickets. If they can do that, then at least it's something positive to take to Adelaide along with our seamers bowling reasonably well in long spells yesterday.

That's a much better tactical way of destroying England. I'm with you on that.

I'm not a huge cricket fan but follow the Ashes closely and when we play South Africa (lovely ex-girlfriend was a SA and she absolutely adored cricket).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yep, agree. The Burns drop in the slips summed up our top order. Chance for a least a bit of redemption and drops a dolly. Instead of mental strength, he's still down from his duck.

I suspect it’s going to be one of those series when I start resenting the lost sleep.
We might turn it around in Adelaide but right now we don’t look strong enough to compete.
What with COVID and the the poor prep, the whole series feels tinpot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If they can do that, then at least it's something positive to take to Adelaide along with our seamers bowling reasonably well in long spells yesterday.

I'm not too happy about those long spells. We have a 90mph bowler in Wood and he's flogged into the ground for 20 overs yesterday. Root has already crocked Archer, he's now looking to crock Wood too. And Robbo looked dead on his feet at the end too. He's a truly terrible captain, constantly over-bowling his pacemen

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
I'm not too happy about those long spells. We have a 90mph bowler in Wood and he's flogged into the ground for 20 overs yesterday. Root has already crocked Archer, he's now looking to crock Wood too. And Robbo looked dead on his feet at the end too. He's a truly terrible captain, constantly over-bowling his pacemen

Wonderful batsman (one of England's best ever) but a truly terrible captain - always has been. As you say knackering the fast bowlers on a regular basis and what gets my goat is moving a fielder to where a ball has just gone in the air - that is schoolboy captaincy!

As for Silverwood - just not up to it. He should have demanded some practice games, how are players inferior to the Australians going to get some form and match fitness? Bowlers need overs in their legs not a mooch around Brisbane to keep fit:facepalm:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
That's a much better tactical way of destroying England. I'm with you on that.

I'm not a huge cricket fan but follow the Ashes closely and when we play South Africa (lovely ex-girlfriend was a SA and she absolutely adored cricket).

The way the crickets going i'm more interested in the story of your ex !
Was she one that got away or did you meet someone lovelier ?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We are just lucky that the focus of the England test team is always the ashes series away. If we wasted our time trying to win other series rather than always focus on the ashes we might not be as brilliantly prepared as we are. It is staggering that with everything directed at ashes planning we have ended up with Chris woakes (who is a brilliant bowler in England) opening the bowling and Jack Leach as the spinner (I am a Somerset fan so love the bloke) vs a team of left handers.

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if we took our eye off the ball. I blame the media for this too, they are obsessed. In fact the bbc have done a podcast all about preparing for the ashes. It is time we started trying to win every series rather than use other series as prep for the ashes. We did this under flower and we smashed it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We are just lucky that the focus of the England test team is always the ashes series away. If we wasted our time trying to win other series rather than always focus on the ashes we might not be as brilliantly prepared as we are. It is staggering that with everything directed at ashes planning we have ended up with Chris woakes (who is a brilliant bowler in England) opening the bowling and Jack Leach as the spinner (I am a Somerset fan so love the bloke) vs a team of left handers.

Yep. It's almost an object lesson in how to lose an Ashes series. Woakes is never so good overseas but he gets picked. Australia have six left handers - but let's not pick an offie. We have a no 3 batsman with a test average of just under 29, good for a tailender who can bat a bit but a long way short of a test match batter. We have seven players who have never played a test match in Australia but let's keep them away from any warm-up games to get used to the conditions. We have a tough series of red ball cricket to prepare for, so let's take all the players away for a bit of nonsensical white ball stuff in the middle of summer. And let's have the team skippered by a completely incompetent captain.

Australians must be pissing themselves with laughter

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Yep. It's almost an object lesson in how to lose an Ashes series. Woakes is never so good overseas but he gets picked. Australia have six left handers - but let's not pick an offie. We have a no 3 batsman with a test average of just under 29, good for a tailender who can bat a bit but a long way short of a test match batter. We have seven players who have never played a test match in Australia but let's keep them away from any warm-up games to get used to the conditions. We have a tough series of red ball cricket to prepare for, so let's take all the players away for a bit of nonsensical white ball stuff in the middle of summer. And let's have the team skippered by a completely incompetent captain.

Australians must be pissing themselves with laughter

And then leave BOTH of our world class bowlers out, including one who has previously got their opener out for fun who can then heave a sigh of relief and score more runs in one innings that he did in the whole of the previous series.

Oh and compound all of that with pub team fielding and field placings, including something as basic as the slips to ensure that several edges don’t carry.

Rinse and repeat…

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

Not too sure what else he could do to be honest. Woakes looked about as threatening as a kitten, Stokes was clearly struggling and Leach was disappearing to all parts of Queensland. Picking Woakes over Broad and Leech over pretty much anyone was the error. Robinson’s a great bowler, but he could do with borrowing Anderson’s fitness regime…
I don’t disagree he’s not a great captain, but it reminds me of this year’s Ryder Cup in that I don’t think captaincy will make much difference - one side is just much better man for man than the other.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting listening to Harmison on the radio earlier…..
-prep completely ruined by the weather, leading to players not being fully acclimatised or ready
-earlier rain delay extended the morning session, which meant the bowlers were tired (see above) and the Aussies attacked Leach. ……so 2 an over to that point became 7 an over, momentum lost
-Aussies took every catch, we didn’t
-England bowlers drew far more false shots in the first session than the Aussies, but we lost far more wickets (small margins)

Anyway, huge innings defeat incoming I fear. 400-450 on the board then we’ll be lucky to take the game into day 4. Hope I’m wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here