Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a kid, what did you stand on at the Goldstone?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:cry: i never went , no one would take me

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Started on a milk crate in the East stand in 1979. It's so sad that kids of today will never get to start their football lives like this any more. Bloody all seater stadia.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I use to take a ladder down Goldstone Lane 5 mins after kick off:and at the southern end where it was lower put it up against the fence, greet days them were, had ten of us on though ladder once :)

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Started of in the chicken run (East Terrace) moved around the ground as I got older then moved to the North Stand. Watched the last six or seven months from a friends grans garden due to being banned by Bellend. Still got in for some games but Beardo and co knew me to well and was one of the first people they would try to stop entering the ground.

D

Deleted User X18H

Marshy said:
East Terrace boy i was on an old wooden box, brilliant:)
I remenber you and your mate used to try and stand front and centre in the North stand to try and get your picture in the programme

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Stood on a Palace fan once. (I'd just like to say that I do not condone the actions of my youth.)

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Withnail said:
Started on a milk crate in the East stand in 1979. It's so sad that kids of today will never get to start their football lives like this any more. Bloody all seater stadia.

Innit just! :angry: Those early days on the terraces were what got people so addicted to your local club imho

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember my first "North Stand Game" more than my first time at the Goldstone.
1972 vs Villa, 2-1 Willie Irvine screamer. The old div 3, it was on MOTD & we had about 32,500 ish there.

It was absolutely f***ing fantastic! :clap2:

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Also a milk crate on east terrace.
The manager of the local dairy gave it to me.
One match the police confiscated everybodys saying they were stolen property. Bastards.:(
Then later and right to the end the North Stand.:D

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I think Steve Foster was very close once or twice. Wouldnt have fancied Archers chances.

I remember when they done that TV programme on the Brighton situation with the ground and he was on it and he had this huge eye patch - I was sure someone had got hold of him.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
chez said:
I think Steve Foster was very close once or twice. Wouldnt have fancied Archers chances.

I remember when they done that TV programme on the Brighton situation with the ground and he was on it and he had this huge eye patch - I was sure someone had got hold of him.
Shit, yeah, forgot about that. Think you're right, am sure someone got him, though the 'official' reason was conjunctivitis or something probably :lolol:

Maybe there's an explanation in Build A Bonfire

Started off on the old east terrace then progressed to the North Stand. It was always 10p or so cheaper on the East. Always used to be in the ground by 2pm in order to get a space at the very front. Not being the owner of a milk crate, if I failed to get to the front I could see very little. Grown ups seemed soooooo big in those days.....*sigh*......

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
My Dad built me a stool, which I used until I was about 13. It's amazing I didn't fall and break my neck as it was a bit unstable!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
There was only one place

THE NORTH STAND everytime

me and a few mates, 13 years old, 1973, it was fukcing electric

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Mine broke in about 1984 when I lamped a Palace fan with it.....a satisfactory end me thinks.....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
First game I remember, my dad and uncle took me to see a boxing day derby Vs Gillingham - must of been about 65 or 66. My uncle was a keen fisherman and he bought this little stool for me to stand on. Can't remember the score, or anything about the game (probably couldn't see), but I remember being carried along by the crowd after the game when the masses all went home.

Got the bug .....

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
portlock seagull said:
Mine broke in about 1984 when I lamped a Palace fan with it.....a satisfactory end me thinks.....

f*** me! Portlock on NSC. It's been a long time fella :wave:

Congrats on the Palarse beating, sir, a fine story to tell the grandkids one day :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here