Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a kid, what did you stand on at the Goldstone?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hello ELS, hey aren't you a 70's electronic orchestra?!

Well done for Saturday, saw the amount hit 4 figures, remember the 2p coin was mine! Have the dinner IOU on us as a b-day prezzie or stick a fiver in A&K appeal depending on how rich you feel!

Other news....Portlock seagull will be leaving NSC soon (exchange happened today so new name required!).....Lindfield by the sea's wife is in the N.Sussex STOP for the 2nd night by the way STOP Twins approaching rapidly STOP jolly decent of the old boy to increase junior seagulls by two at once eh?! STOP.
Over and out.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
portlock seagull said:
Hello ELS, hey aren't you a 70's electronic orchestra?!

Well done for Saturday, saw the amount hit 4 figures, remember the 2p coin was mine! Have the dinner IOU on us as a b-day prezzie or stick a fiver in A&K appeal depending on how rich you feel!

Other news....Portlock seagull will be leaving NSC soon (exchange happened today so new name required!).....Lindfield by the sea's wife is in the N.Sussex STOP for the 2nd night by the way STOP Twins approaching rapidly STOP jolly decent of the old boy to increase junior seagulls by two at once eh?! STOP.
Over and out.
Top news all round! Send Lindfield and wife my best old chap. Any ideas about new name? Big Uncle H, perhaps? :lolol:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Asa kid (aged 10 to 13) at the right front of the North Stand, mid way between the goal and corner flag. As I got older stood near the back in the same lateral position (right midway) in the stand

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Thanks, I like that! Will pass on your best and let you know if "it's game on" Off to bed now.....

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
First game was on the East terrace, after that is was the south stand for about 50 odd games, then finished off it the North stand.
I think I went in the West stand once.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My first season or two was in the North East corner under the floodlight.

My dad took his toolbox for me to stand on (he took the tools out first, obviously).

Said toolbox is now mine and sitting in my hallway full of tools. Wouldn't part with it for anything.:ascarf:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
brighton.gif

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
West stand until I was old or should I say Brave enuff to get in the big boys stand!!

:lolol:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
East Terrace, front, wooden crate that my Dad made.
Halcyon years.

Fleeting glances to the right as the coppers in luminous gear and crash helmets tropped down the terrace to make their presence felt in the fenced divide that separated the two factions in the North East.

Then graduated to the North Stand centre to be part of the real noise. Aaah, the pungent smell of piss and water heated hot dogs at half time. I can almost see the poorly spelt grafitti now.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Always seem to remember Krispies middle to back of Northstand, hand to his ear and getting us all singing!

:clap2:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Its a bit of a cheat really. It was the picture on the old versions of Championship Manager.

I only ever took my camera to one match at the Goldstone. I thought I would pick a quiet match, but it turned out to be the 4-4 draw with Orient and it was already too dark before the action started.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perseus probably stood on a milk crate Pende... ing the arrival of a stool.

I stood on the East Terrace except for the march against Watford that got us promoted out of Div 3 S in 1957 when we arrived at 3.00pm for an evening kick off and sat on the cinder track just inside the wall surrounding the pitch. In later years moved to South Stand with my children.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't you really miss the place? Be it ever so humble there's no place like home.:(

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't remember exactly where I stood when I was a titch. Mostly, it would be immediately behind the white concrete surrounds, so we could peer over the top. As we managed to get relegated in the first two successive seasons, the crowds were smallish (only about double what they are now). Sometimes we managed to sit on the cinder track on the pitch side, but the Police would usually spot us and tell us to get back behind the surrounds. By the time we had a team worth watching, I was tall enough to stand first at the ends of the ground, changing at half-time. I think this cost an extra bob, or was it ninepence?

Then in the second season in Division Four, the crowds started at about 20,000 each game, at least against Barrow and Oxford United and then the transfers at half-time were stopped.

Of all the away games I have been to, I found it best at the Old Valley with the huge terraces, but better maintained and more room. And totally full of Albion supporters as well.

The view is much better at Withdean, but the thing I miss most is meeting up at the game and the casual way of turning up for the games. I used to go to every game* after seeing the 10-1 victory against Wisbech (never miss a Cup match) and then the 1-2 defeat to QPR with Rodneeee Marsh and I missed the third game in that week against Southend. So that meant I also saw the Cup 1-1 draw against Bedford. (*This stopped in a silent protest after the Richard Tiltman affair.)

Can't say I have ever been happy at Withdean. I am not quite sure why. I expect I like chaos. Whereas when it was really crowded and crowd-packing when some people got stressed out, I just got excited, and now it a bit formal and constrained.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I would sit on the railings at the back of the chicken run, 'til my bum got sore anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here