Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As a kid, what did you stand on at the Goldstone?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Croydonbloke said:
Can see why it had to go.
Admittidley Selhurst is looking just as bad of late.
Just a thought was this picture taken just before kick off.

peterward.jpg

This was the Goldstone after kick-off.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
perseus said:
peterward.jpg

This was the Goldstone after kick-off.

That was a great/choking day.Beat Blackpool 2-0 but Saints & Spurs played out a very iffy 0-0 draw to ensure we missed out on promotion.
About 30,000 ish there that day. Went for a few beers pre-kick off & only just managed to get in the East terrace. North Stand was full long before kick off.

Team & Mullers came out to the crowd at the end, promising to do it the following year. You know what? They did!
Marvellous scenes!! :clap2:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The view from the south stand gave the less numerous part of the Goldstone. The Blackpool match was the the third successive 30,000 home crowd and it was essential to get to the match an hour before kick-off to be sure of getting in.

The only other time I recall needing to get in an hour before the game for run of the mill matches was in the final few games of 1970-1971 in the old Division 3.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
perseus said:
The view from the south stand gave the less numerous part of the Goldstone. The Blackpool match was the the third successive 30,000 home crowd and it was essential to get to the match an hour before kick-off to be sure of getting in.

The only other time I recall needing to get in an hour before the game for run of the mill matches was in the final few games of 1970-1971 in the old Division 3.
51.802 1979 Selhurst Park champions of the Div 2 Who did we stop getting that spot. Was it you or Sunderland i recall.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was us and you were playing Burnley. It is hard to imagine that number of people actually fitting into Selhurst Park, even back in the late seventies. That was the following season.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here