Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I saw Ben White in the Man City game, enjoying success with Brighton, the style of play, the fans, his colleagues playing in the PL, on a lot more wages than previously, thanks to his renewed contract.

Either way, it was win win for him, and he chose to stay in Sussex.

lets not get into comparing Leeds season with ours!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Let's all take a moment.....
£50 million.
I wonder how many teams have sold a player for that much?

As far as I'm aware:

Liverpool- Coutinho, Suarez, Torres, Sterling

Chelsea- Hazard, Costa, Oscar

United- Ronaldo, Lukaku & Di Maria (both at a loss).

Leicester- Maguire, Mahrez

Spurs- Bale

Everton- Stones

Palace- Wan-Bissaka

So yeah, not many.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
My only issue was Mejona's incorrect assertion that "it was blindingly obvious Ben wanted to leave." that is the only point anyone is contesting here. And I say 'contesting', the vast majority agree White may not bleed blue and white but nor was it 'blindingly obvious' he wanted to leave.

[emoji106]

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Who do you think Ben White will be the most thankfull too? Leeds? Newport? Peterborough?

It will be Brighton for paving the way for a top class career with a top six side, the right loans at the right time and a season in a Premier league side where he could play at an incredibly high standard of football. Remember he was saved from obscurity at Southampton and rose through the youth ranks at Brighton. Leeds did contribute to him gaining valuable experience, and what an experience that must of been but it has ignited his passion to further his career.
Brighton ultimately gave him that opportunity. We will deserve every pound of his eventual transfer fee we saw talent where others did not and we invested heavily in his future.

Great post. Exactly.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As far as I'm aware:

Liverpool- Coutinho, Suarez, Torres, Sterling

Chelsea- Hazard, Costa, Oscar

United- Ronaldo, Lukaku & Di Maria (both at a loss).

Leicester- Maguire, Mahrez

Spurs- Bale

Everton- Stones

Palace- Wan-Bissaka

So yeah, not many.

Everton - Richarlison?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
As ever, the problem with completing on this deal, if we do, is that the price of any incoming players will go up too with selling clubs and agents eager to have a slice of the pie!!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
4. Brian Owen's story that the club plans to bide its time makes perfect sense. Why accept an offer from the first bidder when you could see how much rivals might offer?

This is my stance.

I have no doubt there is interest in Ben, and if a deal is right for the club we’ll let him go this summer (or next).

However there is absolutely no need to accept any bid at this moment. In fact it’d be silly to do so. 1) Euros still going on 2) other clubs can come in which would generate an auction scenario 3) Ben may get some minutes or break into the England team driving his price up.

I think 2) is the part that would make us take our time with any current bids. We have all the cards and no need to rush. Liverpool, PSG, Man Utd, the ball is in your court, make your move.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[tweet]1408343170551844865[/tweet]

Lol. Uncle Tony is in his fecking element, isn’t he.

I know it's quite an irrelevant thing to point out at this point in proceedings, but that fella works for TALK SPORT, so shouldn't his microphone and football emojis be the other way around? :moo:

Anyway, he Ben White SINGED for the GOONERS yet, or what?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I can see someone else coming in. À curve ball. Maybe PSG, Man U or Chelsea. Liverpool and Man City haven't haven't room for him imho.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Would rather keep both, but White is a much less important than Bissouma. I'd be very concerned if we lost him.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Don't trust them at all.

But I don't see why an agent would say he was disappointed not to move.....if he wasn't.

Because the agent, definitely, and Ben, possibly, will have to deal with Leeds and Brighton in the future. Therefore everything said should be taken with a pinch of salt. If the truth would be a slight to Leeds, then saying it out loud would hurt future relationships, likewise if Ben really wanted to leave the agent would be equally diplomatic towards us.

This is why the rest of us are looking at everything that happened and not just one throwaway comment from a dodgy agent with a vested interest in not telling the truth anyway.

Holiday / House / Agent / Contract ... 2 suggest he wanted to stay, 1 that he might have wanted to go and you seem adamant contract isn't a factor and yet is used by lots of players in lots of windows to subtly/unsubtly ensure a departure is on the cards within a year.

Hence most of us believe he never *wanted* to go to Leeds (but I'm sure he would have accepted a move readily, he just didn't want it enough to force it).

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This is my stance.

I have no doubt there is interest in Ben, and if a deal is right for the club we’ll let him go this summer (or next).

However there is absolutely no need to accept any bid at this moment. In fact it’d be silly to do so. 1) Euros still going on 2) other clubs can come in which would generate an auction scenario 3) Ben may get some minutes or break into the England team driving his price up.

I think 2) is the part that would make us take our time with any current bids. We have all the cards and no need to rush. Liverpool, PSG, Man Utd, the ball is in your court, make your move.

The one counter might be TB needs the cash (or know the cash is due) to get another deal over the line. We all know it's like dominoes and someone has to fall first.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
This is my stance.

I agree in part but my stance is cash in now. Its a 200% increase on last years quotes and we are in need of recruitment in other areas. CB is our strongest role within the squad and he wouldn't be much of a loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here