Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed. This was from The Secret Footballer

"Here’s something that some of you will find obvious and some of you will find surprising: Ninety-five percent of all transfers in professional football happen through tapping up.

But what is tapping up?

Well, strictly speaking a buying club is supposed to contact the selling club regarding*the availability of the player that it would like to sign. But here’s a fact: That’s not how football works.

The reality is that either the club contacts the agent asking after a specific player or the agent contacts the club peddling his players.

It’s all but impossible to prove that an agent and a chief executive of a club are speaking about a specific player. And therefore it’s all but impossible to prove that tapping up goes on.

As a result, tapping up is the industry standard for almost every transfer in the game. It’s easier. It’s less time-consuming."

Sounds highly believable to me!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My take on Ben White, Leeds saga last pre- season was that the involved parties (the club, and Ben White/ agent) in contract talks, would have been in discussion for far longer than when Leeds came in with an offer. I would imagine that talks would have started before the season re- started.

Smith -Rowe has been in contract talks with Arsenal since the beginning of March, this is how long contract talks take.

Leeds were taking a punt on there being no agreement.

Not that any of it matters now, water under the bridge.

I also think his agent was using the Leeds offer to get Tony Bloom to up our offer.
Leeds had promised their fans that White would stay so made three offers, and could then say, well we tried.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Arsenal must have a very big pot for next season, they seem to be linked with everyone. Today it's Fabrizio Romano who I confess that I've never heard of

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I also think his agent was using the Leeds offer to get Tony Bloom to up our offer.
Leeds had promised their fans that White would stay so made three offers, and could then say, well we tried.

You are guessing as is everyone on here about what actually happened I reckon.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Arsenal must have a very big pot for next season, they seem to be linked with everyone. Today it's Fabrizio Romano who I confess that I've never heard of

Let’s see if their owner actually makes sizeable investments!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:laugh::

Shame you edited your post, as the humour has been lost.

I thought better of it, My well placed source would have been onto me like a shot for divulging the truth, keep schtum please :smile:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

This is a wind up right?...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Fabrizio Romano is an Italian journalist, one of the very few who doesn't bullshit and accurately reports on transfers.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When he goes I will be nearly as annoyed about it as Leeds fans were when he came back here :smile:

They'll be upset if they didn't have a sell on clause...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here