Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Brian Owen does have legit connections. And I can’t prove it, but I always read some of his “well placed” sources being a certain Paul Barber.

No question Ben can definitely go in this window. But we can be damn sure Tony and Paul will make it a good deal for the club. And from a business perspective I don’t see the benefit in accepting a deal at this moment. There shouldn’t be a rush.

Agree with both of these. If not PB then someone sanctioned by him. My guess: player wants to go (understandable at his stage of career and he’ll be hearing about how much more his England mates are earning); Arsenal leaking to try to pressure us to accept 45 + add ons instead of 50; Barber leaks to let it be known he’s still available to try and draw out other bidders and/or press Arsenal to pay the 50 up front. It likely suits us to slow play.

Probable Net result: Arsenal reluctantly agree to pay 50M up front, White goes, and fee is ‘undisclosed’ so we never really know.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Imagine the fuss if it was one of our better centre backs that was going.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hang on how true is this…
Maybe, just Maybe, it’s not a done deal

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/ben-w...laims-dashed-well-placed-source-reveals-truth

Why doesn't that shock me ? 'Looking for a house' (whilst on England duty) 'Brighton want £50m' (Pick a number).

The problem is that almost everything can be discounted that we read- excepting that this one isn't QSource speculation so we know there are moves afoot.

But for the most part nearly everything that is stated as fact is unlikely to be so.

All we know is that Arsenal are interested in signing Ben White. It's early in the summer. There is no rush.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A few observations:

1. Gareth Southgate has said there's to be no transfer business for England players while we are still in the Euros. Is Ben White going to want to mess up his chances with the England ,manager so soon after making the squad by 'agreeing personal terms' with Arsenal from St George's Park? What's the rush?

2. While he was chief sports writer at The Argus, Andy Naylor could call things as he saw them. Now he works for The Athletic, and isn't going to knock down a story written by their chief maker-up of transfer stories.

3. A club source knocked down the Aden Jay-Wood story that a £50m deal was done to me earlier today. :possibly the same source that Brian Owen spoke to.

4. Brian Owen's story that the club plans to bide its time makes perfect sense. Why accept an offer from the first bidder when you could see how much rivals might offer?

5. The idea that Arsenal would tell anyone how much they're bidding, however well-connected a journalist they might be, doesn't make any sense. Does it?.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Guardian is as bad as all the tabloids with transfer rumours. It's celebrity gossip to them, which clearly has an audience with their readers.

Brighton will sell one of their prize assets win the transfer window, but until it is announced I'd value a transfer rumour in the Guardian the same as I would the Daily Star.

Latest story suggesting that Brighton have turned down a bid, but personal terms have been agreed with White. Both can't be true and if so it's an illegal approach no ?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...g-brightons-ben-white-in-deal-worth-up-to-50m

The Guardian should be better than that.

We all know where these stories are coming from.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
5. The idea that Arsenal would tell anyone how much they're bidding, however well-connected a journalist they might be, doesn't make any sense. Does it?.

A cynic might suggest that there are people at Arsenal who want to tell the world how much they're trying to spend on the team, who may not be the same people who are actually responsible for how that money is spent.

They might further point out that it doesn't make sense for an aspiring football journalist to make shit up in the long run, but that doesn't stop all the gets on Twitter trying it.

If you can find a cynic to suggest either of those, let me know and I'll agree with them.

White Fan man

Oct 25, 2020

This is how football works. His agent pulls the strings. Ben had the possibility of being benched for a season 'to teach him a lesson' and then still had 2 further years on his contract. A career-threatening injury at any time during training or a cup game could finish his career. In today's world anyone on low pay will always take the security of a big pay rise. So in answer to your question 'a waste of time' for Leeds but not for Ben and his agent.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
so.. nothing has happened

Nope. But, this being NSC, you need to wade through 150 posts between a couple of people having a pointless circular off-topic argument to find that out.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
This is how football works. His agent pulls the strings. Ben had the possibility of being benched for a season 'to teach him a lesson' and then still had 2 further years on his contract. A career-threatening injury at any time during training or a cup game could finish his career. In today's world anyone on low pay will always take the security of a big pay rise. So in answer to your question 'a waste of time' for Leeds but not for Ben and his agent.

How is Robin Koch getting on? He must be worth at least £70 million by now?

Lol

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Latest story suggesting that Brighton have turned down a bid, but personal terms have been agreed with White. Both can't be true and if so it's an illegal approach no ?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...g-brightons-ben-white-in-deal-worth-up-to-50m

Sadly both can be true. Clubs go to players/agents way before bidding happens.

For an interesting read on it I'd recommend the book The Secret Footballer. Really interesting insight into how these deals really happen and the fact that the lovely clean ideal of 'club bids- bid is accepted- club talks to player' simply isn't the case now.

Buying clubs want to know the player is happy to join before.going into making transfer offers.

Technically most transfers involve what we would call 'tapping up' but its become the norm.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Of course it happens. No secret we were courting Ali J and his representatives for a number of years before he signed. Like wise I am pretty sure Paul Winstanley when down in South America wasn't just 'scouting' but likely speaking with these players reps before official bids made

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If you purchased something on Ebay for £3.17p then in 5 years it was worth a million quid would you sell it ?

I'm not saying Bloom will cash in but as a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter who could possibly blame him after all he has put in .

I can't bare the thought of White playing for Arsenal or anyone else ,but that money for sure will be re invested into the club , not spunked on some fancy Yacht .

If White does go then we should understand and if he stays well then great , happy days .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you purchased something on Ebay for £3.17p then in 5 years it was worth a million quid would you sell it ?

F&CK YEAH!

Analogy time . . . . I bought a 'Ford Classic' back axle on ebay a few years back. £100 delivered.

spent a day or two adding value, cleaning and painting, nurturing it into separate packages

£50 for generic Ford Cortina/Classic/Corsair axle casing

£150 for MK1 Cortina GT uprated halfshafts

£500 for the Lotus Cortina rear brakes ;-) happy days.

I spotted the bargain as I knew the detail . . . thats what clever clubs do. and where we are with Ben White.

Granted, identifying car parts from a grubby smudge on flea bay is a bit different to spotting potential of a spotty teenager running round the park!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here