Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If Leeds had offered enough, he'd have been gone. They didn't. That's history.

You've quoted me twice saying this. You're aware I agree with you?

My only issue was Mejona's incorrect assertion that "it was blindingly obvious Ben wanted to leave." that is the only point anyone is contesting here. And I say 'contesting', the vast majority agree White may not bleed blue and white but nor was it 'blindingly obvious' he wanted to leave.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You've quoted me twice saying this. You're aware I agree with you?

My only issue was Mejona's incorrect assertion that "it was blindingly obvious Ben wanted to leave." that is the only point anyone is contesting here. And I say 'contesting', the vast majority agree White may not bleed blue and white but nor was it 'blindingly obvious' he wanted to leave.

If you agree he would have gone if we accepted the deal then isn't that an agreement he would have liked to.have moved to Leeds?

I believe he would have liked to move.

You believe he would have moved if he had a choice.

I think we are arguing the same points here but using different terminology.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Who do you think Ben White will be the most thankfull too? Leeds? Newport? Peterborough?

It will be Brighton for paving the way for a top class career with a top six side, the right loans at the right time and a season in a Premier league side where he could play at an incredibly high standard of football. Remember he was saved from obscurity at Southampton and rose through the youth ranks at Brighton. Leeds did contribute to him gaining valuable experience, and what an experience that must of been but it has ignited his passion to further his career.
Brighton ultimately gave him that opportunity. We will deserve every pound of his eventual transfer fee we saw talent where others did not and we invested heavily in his future.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The truth is that in order for Ben White to have moved to Leeds last summer three things would have needed to happen.

1 Leeds needed to make an offer
2 Brighton would have needed to have accepted an offer
3 Ben White would have needed to have agreed terms with Leeds.

Only 1 of those events happened and the process stopped at step 2. It is my hunch that had step 2 been a success, step 3 was already sewn up given that BW was probably aware of what 'could' have been on offer towards the end of his tenure at Leeds.

Given the season that Leeds had in the championship and also last season it would not be ridiculous to state that he might have been keen and/or disappointed that the move never took place.

Anyway, he is now being looked at more seriously by bigger fish so in the end it is Brighton and BW that succeed so we should all be pleased with that. Our plan worked!

Don't get worked up about people like me that think the lad may well have wanted to go to leeds but was stopped by us not having an acceptable bid offered. Its history!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The truth is that in order for Ben White to have moved to Leeds last summer three things would have needed to happen.

1 Leeds needed to make an offer
2 Brighton would have needed to have accepted an offer
3 Ben White would have needed to have agreed terms with Leeds.

Only 1 of those events happened and the process stopped at step 2. It is my hunch that had step 2 been a success, step 3 was already sewn up given that BW was probably aware of what 'could' have been on offer towards the end of his tenure at Leeds.

Given the season that Leeds had in the championship and also last season it would not be ridiculous to state that he might have been keen and/or disappointed that the move never took place.

Anyway, he is now being looked at more seriously by bigger fish so in the end it is Brighton and BW that succeed so we should all be pleased with that. Our plan worked!

Don't get worked up about people like me that think the lad may well have wanted to go to leeds but was stopped by us not having an acceptable bid offered. Its history!

Correct - there is also no reliable source that confirms point 3 anyway. Not seen anything directly attributable to Ben so anyone suggesting he did or didn't want to move is basically guessing.

I'd rather he stayed for another season, but if we can get £50m+ for our (arguably) third-best CB and where we have ample cover in place, and he decides he wants to go, then the very best of luck to him. He won't be booed when he comes back to the Amex. I just think he can potentially do a bit better than Arsenal.....................

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Backline if Ben White leaves - Lamptey, Veltman, Dunk, Webster, March - obviously not taking into account injuries, I don't think losing White really affects us that much. Veltman can carry the ball out, is arguably better in both boxes in the air and is very experienced at top level football. No brainer for me. Take £50m and re-invest.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Correct - there is also no reliable source that confirms point 3 anyway. Not seen anything directly attributable to Ben so anyone suggesting he did or didn't want to move is basically guessing.

I'd rather he stayed for another season, but if we can get £50m+ for our (arguably) third-best CB and where we have ample cover in place, and he decides he wants to go, then the very best of luck to him. He won't be booed when he comes back to the Amex. I just think he can potentially do a bit better than Arsenal.....................

I guess my point is that you'd have to be pretty naive to think that step 3 wouldn't have happened if step 2 was completed.

We have no evidence that Ben was desperate to stay with Brighton, we also have little evidence that he was keen on a move to Leeds other than it appearing that he enjoyed the success the team was having, the style of play, the fans, his colleagues, the fact that they would be playing in the PL and potentially the wages on offer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let's all take a moment.....
£50 million.
I wonder how many teams have sold a player for that much?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn't this sort of deal exactly part of the reason why we have the academy?

Add in that we will hardly be weakened by him leaving, it's a no brainer. The only disappointing element is that, as yet, there doesn't appear to be a bidding war to push the price up even further. That said, possible others are waiting for the fee to be agreed so they can match it and then it's down to personal terms and ambition.

Good luck to him and hopefully we'll have a few more youngsters coming through, some we'll keep and some we'll sell.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Let's all take a moment.....
£50 million.
I wonder how many teams have sold a player for that much?

I.may have got it completely wrong but I believe it's around 15 times and English club has received 50+ for a player.

You have the big ones moving abroad like.ronaldo, bale, Di Maria, hazard, coutinho maybe Oscar at a Chelsea and then you have the inter-pl ones like sterling, maguire, van djik, Torres, mahrez.

Really not that many. Certainly not many from 'bottom 6' or whatever you would classify us as.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We have no evidence that Ben was desperate to stay with Brighton, we also have little evidence that he was keen on a move to Leeds other than it appearing that he enjoyed the success the team was having, the style of play, the fans, his colleagues, the fact that they would be playing in the PL and potentially the wages on offer.

And his agent saying he was disappointed not to move. I get people say "you can't trust agents" but I just can't understand why the agent would even hint at that if it wasnt true. He said it on the eve of white signing a deal.with us after all those rejected bids.

This isn't digging at your post by the way. I agree with everything you've said through this thread.

Either way, it sounds like we either keep a brilliant player or are going to be compensated wonderfully so all is good.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I.may have got it completely wrong but I believe it's around 15 times and English club has received 50+ for a player.

You have the big ones moving abroad like.ronaldo, bale, Di Maria, hazard, coutinho maybe Oscar at a Chelsea and then you have the inter-pl ones like sterling, maguire, van djik, Torres, mahrez.

Really not that many. Certainly not many from 'bottom 6' or whatever you would classify us as.

#teamslikebrighton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I guess my point is that you'd have to be pretty naive to think that step 3 wouldn't have happened if step 2 was completed.

I saw Ben White in the Man City game, enjoying success with Brighton, the style of play, the fans, his colleagues playing in the PL, on a lot more wages than previously, thanks to his renewed contract.

Either way, it was win win for him, and he chose to stay in Sussex.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Um, are you forgetting he had #LUFC on his Twitter profile for a full week after he came back to Brighton? That's tantamount to getting "WACCOE" tattooed on your face and definitely not because he just took a week off and didn't bother going on Twitter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you agree he would have gone if we accepted the deal then isn't that an agreement he would have liked to.have moved to Leeds?

I believe he would have liked to move.

You believe he would have moved if he had a choice.

I think we are arguing the same points here but using different terminology.

I think he would have wanted the move mainly because he would have been a 100% starter for Leeds, which was much less likely to be the case in Brighton. Plenty of us thought he would primarly be the backup for Dunk & Webster.

As things turned out he played nearly every game and I think he is completely satisifed with his decision to stay. Had he ended up on the bench, it would have been a different story.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

But he's from a top 10 team ? :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here