Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you owed money?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It could soon be a case of laughing all the way from the bank instead of to it, leaving the management inside to sob bitter tears over diminished profits.
Last month's ruling by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) that many bank penalty charges of more than £12 are unfair could generate a flood of compensation claims.
These penalty charges are those enforced for late payments on credit cards, unauthorised overdrafts, unpaid direct debits and standing orders and missed payment fees on store cards and mortgages.
The ruling, which extends back six years, is seen by lawyers and consumer groups as a green light for customers seeking redress for hefty charges and penalties over that period.
Many believe that the OFT ruling will significantly improve your chances of a successful outcome in a small claims court action.
Keeping penalty charges below £12 is not going to make for happy bank managers. For instance, the big four banks (Halifax, NatWest, TSB, Barclays) all levy a charge of £30 if you exceed your authorised overdraft limit without permission.

It has been estimated that some £3 billion a year of bank profit stems from such charges.
Research indicates that 36% of the adult banking population have been overdrawn without authorisation at some time, and the average cost of penalty charges each time amounts to £70.
Consumer group Which? maintains such charges are illegal under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations and has set up a website to help consumers retrieve money lost in this way.
And there have been successful consumer actions; for example a student, earlier this year scored a major victory by securing a £5,000 settlement from Abbey after arguing his case under the regulations.
How to get your bank penalty charges back
The first step is to write to your bank asking for your money back (you might even consider adding a £35 admin fee).
Under the Data Protection Act, your bank is obliged to supply a list of all charges you have paid in the past six years. You may get a refund without too much quibbling.
If you don't, then, as step two, a stronger letter is required, warning of court action or threatening to refer your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Which option you take will be determined by personal circumstances. If it is the latter course of action, once you complain to the FOS, your bank has eight weeks in which to resolve the dispute or incur a £360 fine.
This fact alone may lead your bank to settle your claim. At present, there are no published FOS decisions relating to bank charge cases, so it is difficult to ascertain its view on such a situation, although it will undoubtedly evaluate the administrative burden the bank has incurred.
An FOS application must be made within six months of your bank's final rejection of your friendly overtures about returning unfair charges.
A form must be filled in; help in doing this can be obtained by calling the FOS helpline on 0845 080 1800.

Sent my letter off on Friday.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Letter sent

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Everytime my bank has charged me (not too often mind) I've rung up and apologised and made some reasonable excuse and they have always refunded. These charges are discretional - don't ask don't get !!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
hmm . . .interesting, as I'm absolutely f***ing brassic at the moment I've incurred a few charges of late . . . . usually for going a nats cock over my OD limit for a day or two as well. I wonder what I've paid in the last year or so.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Shropshire Seagull said:
Everytime my bank has charged me (not too often mind) I've rung up and apologised and made some reasonable excuse and they have always refunded. These charges are discretional - don't ask don't get !!

im with Barclays :down:

There will be a letter going off soon though. Anyone know where to send it customer relations or is there a dedicated place???

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Good post, I was reading all about this in Which last night, various people have received hundreds of pounds back again, mainly from Halifax.

Its about time us consumers got our own back.

Just last month my wife went slightly overdrawn on her Halifax account which she didnt realise and they charged her £35 for each direct debit they refused and then decided to ring her to tell her, afterwards, bastards

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Which's guide ...............

Step-by-step guide
How to challenge these charges.
Step one
Check your statements
You can claim for charges that you've paid going back six years. If you haven't kept your statements, write to your bank and ask it to send you copies. The most it can charge you for this is £10. Banks must respond to your request within 40 days.

Step two
Open a new account
It's a good idea to open a new bank account before challenging your bank in case it closes your account. See 'Switch with Which?'.

Step three
Ask for a refund
Write to your bank asking it to refund all the unauthorised overdraft charges you've paid in the last six years. The reason you are entitled to your money back is that the charges are more than the costs incurred by the bank to deal with your overdraft. Say in your letter:

'Under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 and/or the law of penalties, when charges are disproportionate to the loss incurred, they are unfair and unenforceable at law.'

Step four
Threaten court action
If your bank does not make you an acceptable offer, you can threaten it with court action. By going to the small claims court, you can claim up to £5,000 in England and Wales, £2,000 in Northern Ireland and £750 in Scotland. In your letter to your bank, say: 'I look forward to your response within seven days of the date of this letter; otherwise, I will have little option but to issue proceedings in the small claims court to reclaim this amount (£) plus interest, which will incur further court costs.'

Step five
Seek advice
If your bank doesn't make you a satisfactory offer, you might benefit from seeking legal advice before issuing court proceedings. This is especially the case if you have frequently exceeded your authorised overdraft by large amounts. Be aware that if you lose your case, you run the risk of having to pay the bank's court costs, which could be very high.

You could also take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service for it to consider. This service is free. If it does not resolve your case satisfactorily, you can still go to the small claims court.

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
I can see Barclays getting hit up for loads because of this. They're always so quick to charge you, even if they can see money paid in that keeps you within your overdraft. I will be writing today, they must owe me hundreds!

me too :down:

Cheers gazwag for the info :clap: :clap:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
surrey jim said:
im with Barclays :down:

There will be a letter going off soon though. Anyone know where to send it customer relations or is there a dedicated place???

I would say write to the bank manager at your local branch first and they will send it on.

Go for it ................

Barclays backs down
Matt Tones 30, data analystWith our help, Matt Tones from Hertfordshire has received £800 from Barclays - twice the amount he paid in charges. Matt had paid around £400 in overdraft charges in the previous six months.
I
t wrote to him a week later and said it would respond in a further ten days. Matt was delighted when Barclays wrote back saying that, although it didnÕt agree with him, it was offering him £800 as a gesture of goodwill

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
hmm, think I might be drafting a letter over the weekend to get back some of my hard earned that HSBC have "stolen" from me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Halifax and Barclays are C*nts FACT, I've had run ins with both and actually got compensation from Barclays, and a written appology

HSBC have been generally very good, but theres been a noticable change in the last 2 years.

I'd personally still rather be paid in cash and go and pay my bills in person every month, you know exactly where you stand, what you've got and no fucker helps them selves in advance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does this also apply to late payment of credit/store cards etc or is it just bank accounts?

I would think that there are a number of people who have paid exhorbitant amounts for late payment of credit cards.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does this apply to Credit Card companies too?

I had a major bust up with MBNA over charges a while ago and have already switched to another card. Would love to go after them for my money back.

Sadly, my biggest bank charge issues are about 20 years behind me now and I've been careful ever since getting badly stung by NatWest, Nationwide and then Woolwich. (I say sadly because it means I can't get compensation for it now as it's too late)

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
It started out because of people claiming back on Credit Cards and Store Cards. If you go on the Which website you can find out all about it. I know people are already doing this and it ain't as easy as people think, the banks are being very difficult and you may have to take them to the small claims court.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here