Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you going to the Falmer Forum at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday?

Will you be at the Falmer Forum on Tuesday

• Yes

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Hang on ........just off to the other thread to get some info!!

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought I'd answered most points, but you are obviously precious about people not speaking to you (do you suffer with insecurity issues?), so tell me what do you want me to answer?

1. Where and when did Martin Perry say that funding was in place?
2. When did he PROMISE an opening date (as opposed to a 'hoped for' date)?
3. How else could the board have sped up the planning process?
4. Bearing in mind it's Lord Bracknell who advises the club, why do you refer to him as a 'patsy'?
5. Where do you form the basis of the opinion that there are 'massive doubts about funding'? Are you party to the various meetings taking place?
6. What do Blackpool fans have to do with Martin Perry's situation?

And please, full answers - not the rhetorical nonsense we've had so far...

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No, actually I'm now utterly convinced by "Arthur" and his equally entirely-constructive, if potty-mouthed, little sidekick/alter-ego Timbo. We should all either start campaigning to STAY at wonderful Withdean and eventually just give up on the Albion all together, just as LDC wanted.

That'd be much better all round.

If you say so and if that is all you have to retort with then I guess I'm going to have to agree! :bla::bla::bla:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You've highlighted several of my points perfectly. Thank you!

The planning aspect of Falmer may well be over, but ultimately all we want is the ground to be built, that I'm telling you is miles off!

And for the record, I can attend, I choose not too.....why? Ironically because the place is full of clowns who know nothing about the game (funnily enough I don't deem someone who knows every sub-paragraph in a planning process to be an expert on the beautiful game)!

Argue all you like, tell me I'm in the minority with my opinions, but the attendances speak for themselves.

So the lower attendances actually mean that Martin Perry is not going to get Falmer Stadium built? Go on, how did you come to that conclusion? What are the issues you are taking into consideration to come to the opinion that you're passing off as fact that Falmer is 'miles off'?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
No, actually I'm now utterly convinced by "Arthur" and his equally entirely-constructive, if potty-mouthed, little sidekick/alter-ego Timbo. We should all either start campaigning to STAY at wonderful Withdean and eventually just give up on the Albion all together, just as LDC wanted.

That'd be much better all round.

No need! Because I am now convinced by all the happy clappys that the club can indeed do no wrong, ever. I will join you and the other couple of thousand superfans in a couple of years time, when Falmer still hasn't been started, standing in the rain at Withdean with my knitted blinkers on, not noticing that all the other fans have gone away.

Bobble hats away!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No need! Because I am now convinced by all the happy clappys that the club can indeed do no wrong, ever. I will join you and the other couple of thousand superfans in a couple of years time, when Falmer still hasn't been started, standing in the rain at Withdean with my knitted blinkers on, not noticing that all the other fans have gone away.

Bobble hats away!

Same question to you - why do you remain utterly convinced that Falmer will not get built?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
1. Where and when did Martin Perry say that funding was in place?
2. When did he PROMISE an opening date (as opposed to a 'hoped for' date)?
2. How else could the board have sped up the planning process?
3. Bearing in mind it's Lord Bracknell who advises the club, why do you refer to him as a 'patsy'?
4. Where do you form the basis of the opinion that there are 'massive doubts about funding'? Are you party to the various meetings taking place?
5. What do Blackpool fans have to do with Martin Perry's situation?

And please, full answers - not the rhetorical nonsense we've had so far...

Perry and Knight have said on numerous occasions we HAVE the funding in place, now it's come down to the nitty gritty where is it? And why has the language toward the subject changed?

As mentioned in another post he made predictions on when Falmer would be ready for league football that he has failed to keep!

The board could have sped up the process by not being bullied by local no marks (LDC, Falmer Parish Council, Dave the old bloke who once walked round Falmer pond etc etc).

Lord B, just my perception of the guy. He buys Perry's bull shit so he must be!

Where is the money then? Why are the club asking parties that they haven't got a chance of securing funding from and then trying desperately to keep it under wraps? Who else have they asked we don't know about? If the funding has been in place (in principle) for all this time why are they needing to ask?

Perry, whilst still with MaCalpines promised Blackpool the world with a spanking new ground on the edge of town and delivered f*** ALL! Fortunately for them he wasn't on their payroll!

I'm going home, have a terrific evening tonight guys!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Same question to you - why do you remain utterly convinced that Falmer will not get built?

Al, I'd be interested to know where I said it won't?!

I think possibly it will, but not on Dick & Martins watch. The funds are going to be nigh on impossible to get in. Banks will not put that sort of money about in the current climate. Also, I haven't heard the £40m figure increased publicly but I'm sure it will. Say for instance we need £60m, a huge slice of that funding will have to come out of someones pocket. Dick and Martin haven't got it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perry and Knight have said on numerous occasions we HAVE the funding in place, now it's come down to the nitty gritty where is it? And why has the language toward the subject changed?
Surely the club wouldn't have bothered getting planning permission if the funds weren't in place, Phil?

We're all a bit pissed off with the speed of progress, but isn't this exactly the sort of question you could have asked tonight if you were truly worried about it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think possibly it will, but not on Dick & Martins watch. The funds are going to be nigh on impossible to get in. Banks will not put that sort of money about in the current climate.
That may or may not be true but even if you are right about it not happening on their watch, it would never have been possible if they hadn't doggedly followed through the planning process.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

As mentioned in another post he made predictions on when Falmer would be ready for league football that he has failed to keep!

The board could have sped up the process by not being bullied by local no marks (LDC, Falmer Parish Council, Dave the old bloke who once walked round Falmer pond etc etc).

Lord B, just my perception of the guy. He buys Perry's bull shit so he must be!

Where is the money then? Why are the club asking parties that they haven't got a chance of securing funding from and then trying desperately to keep it under wraps? Who else have they asked we don't know about? If the funding has been in place (in principle) for all this time why are they needing to ask?

Perry, whilst still with MaCalpines promised Blackpool the world with a spanking new ground on the edge of town and delivered f*** ALL! Fortunately for them he wasn't on their payroll!

I'm going home, have a terrific evening tonight guys!
Hmm... I asked for full answer and got... rhetoric. And, in the first point - downright lies. You had your chance to put a reasoned sensible case - and you blew it.

So, to correct your fallacies and half-truths.

1. The club has NEVER said funding was in place for the stadium. It is one of the last thing to be in place before construction starts.

2. He made predictions which he could not keep - which is different from promises.

3. That statement makes no sense. In fact, it's laughable, and utterly based in fantasy. I assume you didn't pay attention to the various procedures as they were happening. If you did, you'd realise how ridiculous your statement is. The process was Government-led. The club had no legal say in whether LDC were allowed disrupt the process.

4. Your 'perception'? Good one. Seeing as your perception on reality is very tenuous, I should think that, thinking along the same lines, Lord B ought to take that as a compliment. And seeing as he knows more about the planning process than you do (and possibly than Martin Perry does), it's hard to see how he can swallow 'MP's bullshit'.

5. That is so bad, it's embarrassing. No-one, outside of the Falmer team, knows how has been approached for funding. Nor indeed, who the financial institutions were that approached the club wanting to know about how to fund the project. But seeing as the funding ISN'T IN PLACE, nor has it ever been said to be in place, I have absolutely no idea what you're n about.

6. No. Blackpool were in the throes of re-building their own stadium. Part way through the project, the chairman was imprisoned, and Martin joined the Liam Brady/Dick Knight consortium.

Apart from that, great answers...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al, I'd be interested to know where I said it won't?!

I think possibly it will, but not on Dick & Martins watch. The funds are going to be nigh on impossible to get in. Banks will not put that sort of money about in the current climate. Also, I haven't heard the £40m figure increased publicly but I'm sure it will. Say for instance we need £60m, a huge slice of that funding will have to come out of someones pocket. Dick and Martin haven't got it.

'The current climate'? If you're talking about the 'credit crunch', that has very little to do with the capital funding for this project.

Price Waterhouse Coopers have acknowledged and accepted the Albion's business plan to be a sound and workable one. As well as the club approaching the financial institutions, it appears that there some who are approaching the club as well with regards to funding.

But nothing will be signed until the late summer.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You've highlighted several of my points perfectly. Thank you!

The planning aspect of Falmer may well be over, but ultimately all we want is the ground to be built, that I'm telling you is miles off!

And for the record, I can attend, I choose not too.....why? Ironically because the place is full of clowns who know nothing about the game (funnily enough I don't deem someone who knows every sub-paragraph in a planning process to be an expert on the beautiful game)!

Argue all you like, tell me I'm in the minority with my opinions, but the attendances speak for themselves.

oh how to change tack so perfectly. I point out gaps in your argument and you then gloss over them and claim it supports your case.

And funnily enough I do not deem someone who knows that we've applied to the lottery 8 years after we were told we would to be able to construct a robust argument as to why that proves we wont get it built. whatever the end is may be miles off but if we have already travelled many hundreds of miles, that is a relatively short jump.

And attendances have nothing to do with the validity of your opinions on the new ground (and who used the word minority?) - they do point out that a number of factors are having an impact on crowd sizes and those are many and varied.

As for knowing about football, there are some who when watching our most successful side in results and quite possibly entertainment terms for 36 years, still chose to berate the manager. Didn't you?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
So there are funding issues then?? Can you elaborate?

Don't you start :nono:

The funding "issues" will be sorted at a later date. The word "issues" may have confused you, it doesn't indicate there is a problem.

As TLO said, it is one of the last things to be in place before construction starts.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Blackpool is an interesting one as Oyston wanted a new stadium at the airport but didnt want to buy the land as he said if they knew it was him the price would go up. It was bought by windsor developments of which perry was one of the directors. Oyston then refused to pay the purchase price for the land but went to court to get it handed over. The court found against him. Oyston then chose to redevelop bloomfield road but got arrested and jailed for rape in the interim.

Many balckpool fans turned against perry based on oyston's earlier outbursts but thesubsequent court hearing cleared those issues.

It's all available on the local blackpool paper archives. The argus ran the story during the court case.

D

Deleted User X18H

No I devot my free time to supporting the Albion at Withdean financially and vocally

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
To quote Knight and Perry tonight, Price Waterhouse Cooper will be inviting finance offers from the banks for the bit that doesn't get paid by grants and will be paid back over 15-25 years of which our 'robust' business plan suggests we shall be capable of paying back.

Wouldn#t (understandably) go into more detail due to commercial confidentiality reasons.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
'The current climate'? If you're talking about the 'credit crunch', that has very little to do with the capital funding for this project.

Price Waterhouse Coopers have acknowledged and accepted the Albion's business plan to be a sound and workable one. As well as the club approaching the financial institutions, it appears that there some who are approaching the club as well with regards to funding.

But nothing will be signed until the late summer.

How can the credit crunch not affect banks lending 60 million pounds?

PWC are getting paid by the club, what do you expect them to say?

Just to add one thing I do agree with Arthur on though. It is shocking how we've struggled to get approval for our stadium, but Arsenal seemed to sailed through the whole process. I can only think that the world's fifth richest club have some kind of advantage over us. I agree that the most likely difference is a competent CE capable of personally navigating the intracies of the planning process. :censored::censored::censored:

Arsenal didn't have a lying, conniving local MP, local 'Parish' council, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural Inbreds-sorry-England, The Fox Hunters Guild, Village Pond Preservation Societies, Be Kind to Bats League and dozens more elitist groups using every loophole to delay things.

You cannot compare the two applications because I'm sure that Arsenal would have faced the same delays if they had tried to get our stadium built.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here