Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you going to the Falmer Forum at Hove Town Hall on Tuesday?

Will you be at the Falmer Forum on Tuesday

• Yes

Votes: 73 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • Hang on ........just off to the other thread to get some info!!

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
People are more cautious as the perceive things are getting tight - savings interest rates go up* - more people save - banks have to find things to do with the money - more capital investment

Credit crunch affects us on the ground but not large scale capital expenditure.

*A&L currently offering 12% on one of the bonds at the moment -

Without wanting to rock the boat (and I don't think I have a high enough post count to be be allowed to do that on here), I have actually heard this.

As I type this I realise how it sounds like it could be totally made up, and I don't want to go into too much detail, but someone I know, a planning expert, was involved in the case. Their verdict is that LDC got certain people in who knew what they were doing in disrupting the application, but that it was only ever buying time. Had Albion taken the right measures and got certain people in, this wouldn't have arisen and it could have been finalised much quicker.

I realise that that is way too vague to properly illustrate the point but I don't want to make it obvious who I mean (not that anyone here would know/care). The point is I do believe that in some areas the Falmer campaign HAS been a bit of a fuckup, but the point now is that the ball's rolling, and we're not going to get anywhere by not giving out our full spport.
I'm sorry that I'm a bit late coming into this discussion - I had very little time to read NSC yesterday - but there is an important aspect of the planning process that is being missed in this analysis.

That aspect is the POLITICAL dimension. LDC's objections to Falmer were essentially driven by political considerations. David Neighbour, an influential politician on both LDC and ESCC, had sent his own political career spinning off course when he got involved in the court case that followed his altercation with a local resident on the beach.

The one hope of rehabilitation that was available to him was through his membership of the Sussex Downs Conservation Board (later the South Downs Joint Committee). That's a rather quiet body that barely gets noticed by the public, but is very visible to local politicians throughout Sussex.

As I read what happened, Neighbour's decision to spearhead the anti-stadium campaign was a way of raising his own profile in the local corridors of power and wheedle his way back into mainstream local politics by impressing his political friends and colleagues.

However thin the planning arguments were, Neighbour managed to ensure that "planning experts" were commissioned to big up the case that he wanted to make. Most of our main opponents were friends of Neighbour - LDC, Falmer Parish Council, the Conservation Board, CPRE. Once the political momentum started, Neighbour's bandwagon kept rolling.

I don't believe that any amount of fancy lawyers or planners engaged by the Albion could have stopped this. The wheels only started falling off the bandwagon when the Albion's opposition to LDC started to get political itself. And, of course, we eventually saw Neighbour and most of his allies on LDC defeated at the ballot box.

In summary ... don't blame the Albion for not "finalising" things earlier. Blame Neighbour and his cronies for playing their particularly grubby version of local politics. And recognise that politics is a powerful process.

Yeah well, you can prove anything with FACTS. What you cannot argue with is the low attendances which are PROOF that Perry is a liar, a cheat and a CHARLATAN! When Falmer is built, delay or no delay, I for one shall not be attending. I will leave all you lickers, sheep and club patsies to wallow in your child like glee whilst I sit supporting the Albion alone in a darkened room with a 6 pack of stella shouting obseneties at the wall.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yeah well, you can prove anything with FACTS. What you cannot argue with is the low attendances which are PROOF that Perry is a liar, a cheat and a CHARLATAN!
:shrug::thud:

When Falmer is built, delay or no delay, I for one shall not be attending.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

:tosser:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Blimey, Easy 10 never gets this vitriol.

I would have given him one too (not in the literal sense) but he lives too close to me.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yeah well, you can prove anything with FACTS. What you cannot argue with is the low attendances which are PROOF that Perry is a liar, a cheat and a CHARLATAN! When Falmer is built, delay or no delay, I for one shall not be attending. I will leave all you lickers, sheep and club patsies to wallow in your child like glee whilst I sit supporting the Albion alone in a darkened room with a 6 pack of stella shouting obseneties at the wall.

Isn't that what you do now?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

No change there then, will you have your trollies round your ankles as well?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

How can the credit crunch not affect banks lending 60 million pounds?

PWC are getting paid by the club, what do you expect them to say?

Do you have even the vaguest understanding of corporate borrowing, or in fact of any sense of professional reputation?

PWC are not going to blindly say 'yes' to whatever the club put forward. Can you imagine if the club went bust after following PWCs advice, how that would look for them? They have a duty of professional care to their clients (not to mention the fact that they could have their arses sued if we went bust).

The credit crunch is primarily a factor in consumer borrowing, i.e. you and me going to the bank and wanting a loan for a new conservatory or (more likely) a new credit card.

At a commercial level, there is no shortage of funding. And even if there was, it would not mean that the club would be unable to borrow. It would mean that the club would have to pay more (in interest) on the amount they borrow. The credit crunch has arised because US banks were giving mortgages to high-risk borrowers at an interest rate that did not accurately reflect the risks. Therefore, when the borrowers defaulted, the banks were not able to cover their costs, and they made a loss. Now they have upped interest rates for these borrowers to accurately reflect the risk. Ergo, the club as a borrower will (in a worst case scenario) still be able to borrow the money it needs, but at a higher interest rate.

You and Arthur have presented very little of substance, and a lot of conjecture (and lies). The fact that Arthur had not wish to go to the presentation last night spoke volumes. Maybe he was afraid that his doom-mongering may be proved to be incorrect?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
You and Arthur have presented very little of substance, and a lot of conjecture (and lies). The fact that Arthur had not wish to go to the presentation last night spoke volumes. Maybe he was afraid that his doom-mongering may be proved to be incorrect?

I think some people just realise that last night was a bit of a waste of time. From reading the reports of last night it seems that the top story was the earth shattering revalation about where the top soil will be tipped.

I don't think I have lied anywhere either. In my opinion, the process could have been run through quicker In other peoples opinion it couldn't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think some people just realise that last night was a bit of a waste of time. From reading the reports of last night it seems that the top story was the earth shattering revalation about where the top soil will be tipped.

I don't think I have lied anywhere either. In my opinion, the process could have been run through quicker In other peoples opinion it couldn't.

But you don't have anything with which to back that contention up.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Wasn't going to post again on this thread but I feel I have to...

Leave Brighton along the Lewes Road, when you get to Falmer turn off towards the university. Park your car and look to your right.

Do you see a 22k all seater stadium?

Need any more BACKING up?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wasn't going to post again on this thread but I feel I have to...

Leave Brighton along the Lewes Road, when you get to Falmer turn off towards the university. Park your car and look to your right.

Do you see a 22k all seater stadium?

Need any more BACKING up?

:thud: :shootself:

Are you deliberately trying to come across as a complete penis, or does it just come naturally to you ?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks

Even the club apologists on here have admitted as much. I think its fairly obvious to anyone planning applications don't take that long, no matter who objects or who has made mistakes.

Still, none of this matters because I now know the stadium will have 16 lifts and people can get married there.

Nobody seems to be picking up on the fact there are still 6 more applications (which, if they are a matter of course, why do people need to write in?) and the £40m stadium is now in excess of £50m.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
:thud:

Fixtures?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here